Just ordered this mattress... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #1

Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
Just ordered this mattress...

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...product-detail

Hoping it lives up to its reviews!
courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #2

Name: Kd
Trailer: Scamp
SouthEast
Registry
I can't wait to hear how you like it! Looks and sounds perfect.
_Scamp87_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #3

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Great Buy!! Way to go. If you have to cut curves on the wall side, you can use a electric turkey knife. Works great. I had to cut the cloth cover of mine then cut the corners of the foam. Hope yours will work.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Reasonable price, includes cover, but will you have to cut it to shape.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #5

Georgia
Cut down mattress and hand sewed cover back on:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1014203844.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	61305

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1570703765.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	61306
Old 06-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Looks like it will work for you! I'm really impressed..
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #7

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Nice Job, looks good.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #8

Name: Kd
Trailer: Scamp
SouthEast
Registry
I love it! I may be making an order from overstock soon. A comfy mattress can make all the difference in the world.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
All the time I've spent on FiberglassRV and small all molded towables there are TWO things folks are looking for... a comfortable bed and a comfortable chair to sit in outsite. I hope you SCORED on the first point.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #10

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Great job. Few would take on this project. You've inspired many to follow your lead.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #11

Name: Dan
Trailer: U-Haul CT-13 1985
Quebec
Great Idea. I did the same for my camper and love it. Mine was a 6" Queen mattress with 4" regular foam and 2" memory foam that I cut to fit the curved U-Haul bed and I also used the remaining to make 2 cushions for my bed extension.

Enjoy it

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
P1070621.jpg   P1070622.jpg  

P1070616.jpg  
Youhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #12

Georgia
Dan, very nice! I'm thinking of using an additional 2" of memory foam, but it won't be under the upholstery. My idea is to create a duvet out of bedsheets for the separate piece of 2" foam. We'll sleep on top of it and fold or roll it to the back during the day so that it acts as sort of a back rest for the day bed. Then the duvet can be washed and put back on. Thought this would be easier than trying to wrestle a sheet on the bed each time we camp.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #13

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Glad this will work for you Courtney. I assume you'll keep your bed up at all times. For those who are interested in alternate bedding that can be stored please see the following. More photos are in my album.

Scamp Bedding

We had the same concerns for our 2011 13' Scamp. The seating cushions turned out to be so uncomfortable (like sleeping on a table) we finally splurged and purchased a 2" memory foam topper from Target for about $30. I cut the foam to the exact size of the bed then cut it into two long strips each 22 1/2" wide by 76" long. One cushion is a rectangle and the other has two curves to match the inside of the Scamp. I covered each memory foam piece with 100% cotton knit (think T-shirt soft) as if it were a cushion, with a zipper on the end. Now we have the softest, cushiest, mattress pad! We sleep right on the pad and on top of us we place one or more comforters depending on the temperature. In warmer weather we sleep between the two comforters; one on top and one on the bottom. This method eliminates the need for sheets. We wash the mattress cover and comforters (as needed) after each trip.

As for storage; each 1/2 mattress cover rolls into a cylinder about 22 1/2" wide by 10" high (each one is about the size of one sleeping bag). We secure the roll with luggage straps and store the rolls under the dinette bench (see photo). The bigger question is where to store the comforters! I have several solutions. #1) For when I leave the bed set up for the day. (see photo) Fold the comforter in half (mine are about 90" wide by 76" long) so they are 45" wide by 76" long. When folded this way they fit flat on top of the bed when it is set up and looks like a neatly made-up bed. #2) Fold the comforter in half and place over the dinette cushions (no photo). Put one comforter over each dinette chair and tuck in over the top, at the seat back and over the cushion front. This way the comforters add a decorative touch to the seats without requiring more storage space. #3 More recently, I roll the comforters over a cylinder (ask for an empty fabric roll from a fabric store) a little over 45" wide (2-3" diameter) and secure the roll with luggage straps (see photo). I place the roll resting between the dinette chairs spanning the leg space under the table (no photo). This way the comforters are out of the way and ready to use at a moment's notice without using precious cargo space!

I'd also like to share another bedding tip (see photos). You can see in my photos that I have two medium-weight comforters with two different designs. Depending on my decorating mood I put one or the other design on top. A big issue for my husband and me is the shifting of covers in the night. We each have different preferences for covers AND the covers tend to shift and fall off during the night. We ruled out sleeping bags or zippers connecting the comforters as being too confining and hot. The solution we came up with is to connect the comforters with loop and button connectors. It is easy for me to unbutton one comforter layer and toss it to the center while my husband sleeps blissfully with two comforters!
Attached Thumbnails
022.jpg   023.jpg  

025.jpg   026.jpg  

032.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I love the idea of a new mattress. Is it hard to maneuver the new mattress into the scamp? I sure am thinking about buying an eight inch thick mattress to replace the seat cushions from the scamp. I always leave the bed down, don't need it for a dinette. And I want a more comfy bed.
Ruth
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote