Kayak Rack on Trillium without drilling - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2020, 12:17 PM   #1

Name: steve
Trailer: Trillium)
Vancouver, BC
Kayak Rack on Trillium without drilling

I am hoping that someone else has already solved this.....
I have a 73 Trillium and want to travel with my 17' kayaks on top, I am not an expert in Fiberglas, however, am hoping that I can "glass" a band across the front and the back to "attach" hardware" to cradle my boats without drilling through the top.

additional thoughts:

-I have some roof Sagging so I am hoping that I can "lift" the Sag as part of this modification.
-I cannot carry the kayaks on my tow Vehicle as I do not have a roof ('77 Scout)
- I Distance kayak in the open ocean so Folding or Blowup Kayaks will not suffice...

Any thoughts or solutions?

Thnks!!
t096772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:47 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
How are you going to get your boats to the put-in, take-out? Do you drag the trailer to the shore, unload, to campsite, set up? How old are you? What physical shape? I'd get a new tow vehicle myself.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:35 PM   #3

Vancouver, BC
Thanks for responding,

I am in my 50s and have no problem carrying my 50LB boats to the water, My put ins on the British Columbia coast are not usually "vehicle access" anyways. As for my TV, Driving my topless Scout is a significant part of my travelling enjoyment........

A solution for this should not be complicated as long as there is a way to structurally re-enforce and attach to my Trillium Roof.......

Total weight of my kayaks and a rack would be less than 150 lbs.

so, looking for a Fiberglassing solution pleeease!
Old 07-05-2020, 10:17 AM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot
SeaSucker, mounts with suction cups.
Robert Stephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:24 AM   #5

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by t096772 View Post
Thanks for responding,

I am in my 50s and have no problem carrying my 50LB boats to the water, My put ins on the British Columbia coast are not usually "vehicle access" anyways. As for my TV, Driving my topless Scout is a significant part of my travelling enjoyment........

A solution for this should not be complicated as long as there is a way to structurally re-enforce and attach to my Trillium Roof.......

Why not put a nice roll bar on the Scout and put them up there.That way you could drive to places to put them in and retain the classic rugged looks of the Scout.
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:31 AM   #6

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
Quote:
I have a 73 Trillium and want to travel with my 17' kayaks on top, I am not an expert in Fiberglas, however, am hoping that I can "glass" a band across the front and the back to "attach" hardware" to cradle my boats without drilling through the top.

additional thoughts:

-I have some roof Sagging so I am hoping that I can "lift" the Sag as part of this modification.
-I cannot carry the kayaks on my tow Vehicle as I do not have a roof ('77 Scout)
- I Distance kayak in the open ocean so Folding or Blowup Kayaks will not suffice...

Thnks!!
Google replacing stringers in boats. I have done this several times on boats along with floor replacement . Pretty ez to make look good if your familiar with glass work. I would use 4" or 6" structural foam and make cradles for the yaks that conforms to the arch of the roof. (pushing roof back to shape from inside with screw jacks or similar) And glass the "cradles/roof stringers" that reach across entire roof side to side in place on top. can do most of the glass work off the camper and then glass racks to roof. couple coats of gel coat and some sanding should kill two birds at one time and if done right look factory custom.
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:34 AM   #7

Name: PCO6
Trailer: Cadet
Ontario
I have a Cadet project under way and will be addressing the same thing you're faced with. I tow with Jeeps, one of which is a soft top so I see where you're coming from. I also have a Clipper Express TD that I built a rack / t-bar system for. I will be making something similar for the Cadet. Basically it will be a frame mounted roof rack that will not touch the fibreglass body.

The front rack on my Clipper does bolt through the side walls of the trailer. It works well but on the Cadet I will go with T-bars or more likely corner uprights at both the front and back. For the Clipper I welded a 2" receiver tube to the trailer frame for the t-bar so the entire rear section breaks down and can be removed.

We have 10' kayaks that weigh 50 lbs. each. I'm well into my 60's and have no problem loading and unloading them. The Cadet being higher, although not much, will take a bit more effort.

PCO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:27 PM   #8

Name: Al
Trailer: Boler 13 & 17
WHISTLER
Registry
Quote:

additional thoughts:

Thnks!!
Hi I am finishing a similar project on a Boler. I did not want to drill through roof either. I have used industrial grade fiberglass tubing, for my job 4" outside, 3.75" inside. I am epoxying direct to roof w high grade epoxy & adding a piece of cloth thru the pipe a few inches over each end. I am using 6" lengths of pipe for flexibility, less weight & windage. I can then through bolt any fixture such as load bars, panels etc as the 3.75 space is great for tools etc. If interes ted Let me know I i will post some pictures. cheers Al
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:16 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The roof on a fiberglass trailer was not designed to carry much of a load. We've seen many failures due to snow. Even adding an air conditioner requires additional support and I am very careful not to put too much of my weight on the roof of my Trillium when waxing or servicing the fan. Those that have added carriers use fasteners through the roof rather than rely on the bond between the gelcoat and the fiberglass. Several members have built carriers attached to the frame. Personally, I prefer to carry my canoe on the tow using a carrier designed for the purpose. Losing a boat as I'm travelling down the road is, of course, the nightmare scenario.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_20190630_043701.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	135844
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:36 PM   #10

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
How about an exo-rack design, either on the tow vehicle or the trailer?

Here is a discussion on camper roof racks: https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ack-35435.html
Attached Thumbnails
b81cde6e52ba87c614d000179430e7af.jpg   bbc0194e67608d867aa96c709954f8cc.jpg  

skimp.jpg   1aeu16.jpg  

1aeu15.jpg   UHaul offroad 20180511_202054.jpg  

Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:22 AM   #11

Vancouver, BC
Thumbs up

Wow, After searching the forum several times and not finding a relevant solution, I am very grateful for all your comments, I now have Several workable solutions to build from....

A few responses to your input input:

1. Stubbs, Re rollbar.... Yes I have a roll bar and this was my original Solution, however, I frequently put a wet Kayak Up and I Was really worried about salt water dripping into a vehicle known for its ability to rust spontaneously!

2. Mosquito13, Stringer Solution.... I looked up "stringer replacement" and Using this concept could solve my rack challenge, my saggy roof challenge and create strength in the relatively light weight roof , Thank you!

3. PC06 and Markz, I really like the thought of an Exo-skeleton, Particularly if it is removable AND it could look really cool if it matched my Scout Roll bar!! I would have to have an independent solution to my Saggy roof.....?

4. Raz, Points Taken, Sometimes it is dangerous to fool with a light weight product by adding undo stress where is wasn't designed to be, Whatever I do will have to be carefully thought out!

5. Whis, I absolutely would love to see Pics of your solution, BEing able to remove my rack easily would be perfect!

and Finally 6. Robert, Seasuckers, I have never seen this product before.... It scares me to think of Suction holding my kayaks on at 60mph.... But maybe if I Tied front and back down to the frame. have you used these?

Heading out to See my Fiberglas guy tomorrow with a head full of Ideas...
I guess I will have to stop at the Welder for a chat too!

once a gain thank you for all the really useful ideas, I will post As I build!

Cheers!

Steve.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:23 PM   #12

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Quote:
Wow, After searching the forum several times and not finding a relevant solution, I am very grateful for all your comments, I now have Several workable solutions to build from....

A few responses to your input input:

1. Stubbs, Re rollbar.... Yes I have a roll bar and this was my original Solution, however, I frequently put a wet Kayak Up and I Was really worried about salt water dripping into a vehicle known for its ability to rust spontaneously!

2. Mosquito13, Stringer Solution.... I looked up "stringer replacement" and Using this concept could solve my rack challenge, my saggy roof challenge and create strength in the relatively light weight roof , Thank you!

3. PC06 and Markz, I really like the thought of an Exo-skeleton, Particularly if it is removable AND it could look really cool if it matched my Scout Roll bar!! I would have to have an independent solution to my Saggy roof.....?

4. Raz, Points Taken, Sometimes it is dangerous to fool with a light weight product by adding undo stress where is wasn't designed to be, Whatever I do will have to be carefully thought out!

5. Whis, I absolutely would love to see Pics of your solution, BEing able to remove my rack easily would be perfect!

and Finally 6. Robert, Seasuckers, I have never seen this product before.... It scares me to think of Suction holding my kayaks on at 60mph.... But maybe if I Tied front and back down to the frame. have you used these?

Heading out to See my Fiberglas guy tomorrow with a head full of Ideas...
I guess I will have to stop at the Welder for a chat too!

once a gain thank you for all the really useful ideas, I will post As I build!

Cheers!

Steve.
A sagging roof deserves its own attention. You can find many solutions on this website.

I truly love the exo-rack on the last Uhaul pic. Most impressive.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:28 AM   #13

Trailer: Miti Lite 1987
I'm switching from rigid to collapsible kyaks. They weigh about 30lbs. and are easily stored.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:42 PM   #14

Name: Peta
Trailer: American Dream Trailorboat
California
Registry
Have used foam strap-on racks with success.

We used a rack similar to this on car roof successfully several years ago; you'd need to add extra-long strap extensions to go all the way under the scamp, & RATCHET DOWN TIGHT. They are great on hard-top convertibles that don't have racks, so could work for you without any mods to the Scamp roof.

https://www.amazon.com/Onefeng-Sport...4492531&sr=8-8
Peta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:15 PM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot
Seasucker

I have not used,but they are used in bike racing team cars and are popular for carrying surf skis and racing boats.
Robert Stephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:48 PM   #16

Trailer: 1982 Burro
T bar off of trailer hitch.

My solution to but two kayaks on my little toyota truck that towed my little Burro was to extend the trailer hitch ( I have a welder) and up off of the trailer hitch with a t bar 1 1/2 inch section from the trailer hitch to the same level as a gutter rack on the front of the truck with a yakima bar attached to its top. I carried a 22 foot double and a single on this rack and did not have to mess with the trailer. Much easier to get the boats to the water this way. I would attach a picture but they messed with my I phone and I can't figure it out.
Noel Gilbrough
Noel Gilbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:29 PM   #17

Name: Murray
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Registry
Quote:
Thanks for responding,

Last winter, I epoxied strips of marine plywood and then fibreglassed over top to reinforce the roof of my 1974 Trillium 1300 before installing a Maxxair fan. While doing so, the roof was pushed up to give it some camber where it was sagging...as you were wondering about.

Definitely doable for what you want to do without drilling holes through the roof. I fibreglassed my entire roof in conjunction with this.

There are lots of possibilities.
Kommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:04 AM   #18

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Murray has done some incredible work on his Trillium, most of it posted to the Trillium owners FB page.

The roof on a vintage Trillium is very weak. Just installing a maxxfan or similar can cause roof sag. Storage outside with any snow load will be a problem too.

Personally, I would build some type of rack on the TV. Sooner or later, the kayaks have to transfer from the trailer to the TV for use. Certainly the TV is better designed to handle the weight.

Your roof is already sagging. Thats a sign. Depending on where the sag is, do you have a powered roof vent, anything hanging off upper kitchen cabinet, and so on, all can induce more sag. I've seen people hang heavy appliances off the upper cabinet, and then wonder why they were getting roof sag.

I'd look to shore up your roof before doing anything else. Is the bottom of your upper kitchen cabinet level? If not, might want to consider installing a stripper pole.

These trailers are incredible, many have lasted 50 years already. But time has taken a toll on them. So at some point, serious maintenance can be needed.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium