Keeping the Fridge cool - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2006, 01:36 AM   #21

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
OK people! I have talked to a couple of others about installing computer fans for cooling. I am thinking of doing it also but how about some pictures guys. I would like to see where and how some of you have done yours. I imagne there are numerous ideas.
Con,

The first thing to do is add baffling to direct the air flow across the condenser fins. These photos are of my Casita, but similar baffling will improve the efficiency in your camper.

Photo 1 shows the lower baffle. This directs the cooling air flow to the fins.

The second photo shows the upper baffle. This directs the hot air flow away from the back of the refrigerator and smooths the way for it to exhaust.

The baffling is aluminum flashing shaped to the task and attached to steel "L" brackets.

The third photo shows the fan installation in my first Casita. I chose to install it to exhaust the hot air from the top of the compartment. I suspect it makes little difference whether you install the fan to push from the bottom or pull form the top. I connected a thermostat to control the fan.

With the baffling in my current Casita, I have not yet needed a fan, but I can add one if needed later.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Baffle_aft.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	3849

Click image for larger version

Name:	600ventfan.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	3851
Attached Thumbnails
Baffle_top.jpg  
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:43 AM   #22

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:

I like the idea of using a house thermostat to control the fans, but I am leary about the little mercury bouncing around and turning the fans on and off continually when I am travelling. I think having those fans run while I am towing and running the fridge on 12V will be crucial for efficient operation. The RV guys said I will be lucky to get 12V to just maintain the temperature while moving. No wonder many people run on gas while travelling.
KevinDR,

This may be a better choice for a thermostat:

Allied Elec
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:47 PM   #23
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Thank you so much Morgan. I haven't delved into that area on our Boler yet so your pics are a big help. Derek Long in Kelowna tells me he installed 2 fans on his and made a lot of difference in the cooling. I think he said he paid $3 ea.
Con is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge