kelty awning pics - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2007, 05:34 AM   #1

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Hi Everyone,
Our first campout with the new awning, thought you might like to see these.
Hopefully, the pictures will come through OK!
The awning worked really well, (although we didn't get to test it in a downpour), the size and shape was perfect for our 13' Scamp.
This is the Kelty Deluxe Carport.
Marjie

Click image for larger version

Name:	up3.jpg
Views:	960
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	7970

Click image for larger version

Name:	closeup.jpg
Views:	732
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	7972
Attached Thumbnails
down.jpg   helper.jpg  

Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:20 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
it makes into an add a room?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:09 AM   #3

New York
Quote:
it makes into an add a room?
Hi Gina,
Yes, that's what I like about it. It isn't bug-proof, but it is private. The poles that hold it up are not adjustable, so it is either a canopy, or all the way down to the ground, just as shown in the pictures.
And the windows can be covered for privacy, or open (with screens) for ventilation.
Marjie
Old 05-25-2007, 05:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Wow, I sure am liking the looks of this....How did you attach it to the trailer? Thanks for posting the great pics.

Who's the little cutie?

Sharon in Seattle
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:28 PM   #5

New York
Quote:
Wow, I sure am liking the looks of this....How did you attach it to the trailer? Thanks for posting the great pics.

Who's the little cutie?

Sharon in Seattle
Hi Sharon in Seattle,
The cutie is my daughter, and helper, and camper in training.
My Scamp came with two large hooks on the outside, probably for the old awning. I laid the Kelty awning cross-bar in the hooks, and secured with the velcro strips that are part of the awning. The velcro strips slide along the cross bar, so the spacing of the hooks was not very important, but I think the closer they are to the other poles (perpendicular to the trailer) the better. Check photo...
If you don't have anything to attach the awning to, maybe something can be attached to your trailer? You would just have to be sure that the door could swing open without hitting the awning.
Good luck!
Marjie in NY
Old 05-25-2007, 08:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Where did you purchase??? and for how much???if you don't mind telling!!! Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:03 PM   #7

New York
Quote:
Hi: Where did you purchase??? and for how much???if you don't mind telling!!! Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Hi,
Glad you like the awning....but it doesn't come cheap! The best price I could find was online through Costco (borrowed a friends membership number). Does Canada have Costco? Actually, it wasn't the absolute best price, but if I didn't like it I could return it to a store near me.
There are several sites online that carry this awning. There are several versions, this is the Large Kelty Deluxe Carport.
I paid around $280. including shipping and tax. I can't remember exactly.
So, do an online search and see what you can find....
Marjie
Old 05-27-2007, 05:52 AM   #8

Trailer: 78 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Hi,
Glad you like the awning....but it doesn't come cheap! The best price I could find was online through Costco (borrowed a friends membership number). Does Canada have Costco? Actually, it wasn't the absolute best price, but if I didn't like it I could return it to a store near me.
There are several sites online that carry this awning. There are several versions, this is the Large Kelty Deluxe Carport.
I paid around $280. including shipping and tax. I can't remember exactly.
So, do an online search and see what you can find....
Marjie
Hello folks,
I always feel badly when I see an item I just bought at a cheaper price. However, at risk of hurting Marjie's feelings and in the interest of sharing, just recieved a Sierra trading post flyer that has two similar items (that look smaller) by Kelty at $140 and $170. Their site is sierratradingpost.com, item #'s 88172 and88173.
George
George Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:43 AM   #9

New York
Quote:
Hello folks,
I always feel badly when I see an item I just bought at a cheaper price. However, at risk of hurting Marjie's feelings and in the interest of sharing, just recieved a Sierra trading post flyer that has two similar items (that look smaller) by Kelty at $140 and $170. Their site is sierratradingpost.com, item #'s 88172 and88173.
George
Hi George,
I am a regular customer of Sierra Trading Post, and that is where I originally saw the awning. I know they often have closeouts, and so I researched the awning (to try and find it cheaper somewhere else), and then found mine.
The one at Sierra is a different model. They are smaller, the windows are different ( no side windows, poorer ventilation), the sides do not come down to make a room on one, and neither one can be made into a canopy -
We really liked the option of a room and canopy, so we opted for the Deluxe.
But thanks for pointing this out for everyone - Sierra is a great source of stuff.
Marjie
A quick check shows that I paid $230. with shipping, and tax.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:03 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Yep Marjie we have Costco...I don't have a membership but it might be worth getting one... My son is working for a Camping Outfitter in Ottawa and I will check with him to see if he can source a Large Kelty Deluxe Carport there. Thanks for the info
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. anything I like never comes "CHEEP"
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:15 AM   #11

Trailer: 1983 Burro
HI everyone! We purchased one from REI when they had a 20% off of 1 item for members....we did this before we saw this post. We are attaching it to our 13 ft burro, and we may end up running straps around the camper for now. We may get brave and put some anchors in the top of the side, or the roof. But it works well!!!!! We will put it to the test this next week @ Acadia.... Maine tends to have plenty of rain and FOG! I'll keep u posted! k
kygould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:33 AM   #12

New York
Quote:
HI everyone! We purchased one from REI when they had a 20% off of 1 item for members....we did this before we saw this post. We are attaching it to our 13 ft burro, and we may end up running straps around the camper for now. We may get brave and put some anchors in the top of the side, or the roof. But it works well!!!!! We will put it to the test this next week @ Acadia.... Maine tends to have plenty of rain and FOG! I'll keep u posted! k
Enjoy!
We are LOVING ours!

Marjie
Old 07-25-2007, 10:13 PM   #13

Trailer: Burro
Quote:
I have a 13' burro also and was wondering how you ended up fastening it to the trailer. Doesn't it end up leaking from the trailer?
Randy Dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:57 PM   #14

New York
Quote:
I have a 13' burro also and was wondering how you ended up fastening it to the trailer. Doesn't it end up leaking from the trailer?
Hi,
Sorry about the delay replying...we have been on the road!
Our Scamp had two hooks along the roof, possibly for attaching an simple style awning? Not sure...but they came in handy for attaching the Kelty. The velco straps slide along the upper pole and could be adjusted for the width of the hooks.
The only problems have been that yes, in a downpour, the water comes down between the top of the awning and the trailer. So, we just move stuff away from the side, or leave only weatherproof things there, like the cooler.
I'm thinking of adding a waterproof strip of tarp or plastic to fill that area, but haven't gotten there yet...
Marjie
Old 08-06-2007, 12:09 AM   #15

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
items (that look smaller) by Kelty at $140 and $170. Their site is sierratradingpost.com, item #'s 88172 and88173.
George
Hi George,
You just cost me some money! I went to Sierrra Trading Post to check it out. I ended up in their massive clearance dept. I'm Cheap! Can't pass up a good deal even if I don't need it.
I ended up buying a new pair of waders and wading shoes, almost bought a new fly rod. It is one of those places that make self control very difficult. I am glad there closet store is in the next state. It's almost as bad as going to Home Depot.
To be serious, THANKS, I saved almost $200.00 on my new waders and boots.
Thanks again,
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:23 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
We just bought one of these from Costco for our 16' Scamp. Literally just got it as we haven't had time to try it out yet. We are hoping to set it up this weekend and will post some pics of it when we do.

Got it from Costco for $149.99 + 11.58 shipping. Seems like a good price, most other places we saw these online were over 200.

John and Adrienne
John Adrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:33 PM   #17

Trailer: 2006 13 ft Scamp
I just ran across this thread, and I'm so glad to find it. Does anyone have an opinion on whether they'd prefer this or the scamp standard awning? I just put in my order for a 13'er (whoohoo! I've never even had a car that was brand new!) but now I'm thinking that perhaps I should skip the standard awning and go with this, because of the flexibility. Or does anyone have suggestions on turning the regular awning into a room?

Thanks!
Laura Heiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #18

New York
Hi Laura,
I'm the one who started this thread, so I can tell you of my experience with this awning. I really do like using it, it's easy to install and lightweight. The down side is that it is not bug proof, and when it rains the water can come down inbetween the awning and the trailer.
This year we will probably purchase a screen room, as the bugs were really annoying last year. Although it's another thing to deal with, I don't mind the idea of a seperate screen room which can be set up over the picnic table, and away from the trailer.
Years ago I lived in an airstream, which had an attached awning and screen room. Now that was deluxe! Also, big and heavy, and with the Scamp we try to keep the weight down!
Good luck, let us know your decision, as everyone loves to hear of other's ideas!
Marjie
Old 01-23-2008, 09:30 AM   #19

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Laura
I have a 2005 Casita 17' but before I had a 2003 Scamp 16'. Off-hand I don't remember the brands but the Casita awning is a WHOLE lot nicer to set up. Don't know if Scamp has changed or not and don't exactly what was different but I remember how pleased I was when I first opened the awning on the Casita.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote