Keyless entry Door latch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2020, 06:42 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Keyless entry Door latch

I installed one of these yesterday. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The installation was very quick. My old door latch was tight and sticky and so was this one so a little work with a Dremel and a file fixed the problem. Everything is tight but smooth now.

I had a little hiccup with programing my pin code but that may have been due to my very bad hearing. I couldn't hear any of the special beeps. I can hear the chime it makes on opening and closing though. I finally just went through all of the steps pretending the beeps were there and I got my code in.

It is very nice getting in or locking it without a key. I'm always leaving keys in the house. There is a manual key override so you won't get locked out. So is it more secure, who knows.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:39 PM   #2

Name: Frederick
Trailer: 1974 Perris Valley Pacer
California
This looks like a good design. What trailer was this installed in? My Pacer has a double hull door which makes the installation a little tricky. I love the look of my OG door latch but a safer easier lock like this is an attractive upgrade
Fredomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:05 PM   #3

Name: JAMES
Trailer: SCAMP
New Hampshire
Good idea if carrying keys gets in the way

Good idea if carrying keys gets in the way for example if your going swimming and carrying keys in the water. My bigger problem is with door security on my SCAMP. You can lock the door, however one can remove the screws securing the lock assy in about 2 minutes! I thought about replacing the screws with one-way screws but noticed the hinges can be removed in the same amount of time. I guess I have to investigate secure hinge hardware! I like your idea for a keyless lock after the door has been made really secure!!
Have a great Summer!
Jim
polskasila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:33 PM   #4

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredomatic View Post
This looks like a good design. What trailer was this installed in? My Pacer has a double hull door which makes the installation a little tricky. I love the look of my OG door latch but a safer easier lock like this is an attractive upgrade
Oh sorry it is a 25 foot Bigfoot.
Old 06-08-2020, 03:50 PM   #5

Name: Frederick
Trailer: 1974 Perris Valley Pacer
California
Thomas, can you share the installation instructions? I checked the manf website and they are not readily available. Thanks
Fredomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:19 PM   #6

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredomatic View Post
Thomas, can you share the installation instructions? I checked the manf website and they are not readily available. Thanks
I didn't get any beeps out of this thing. My hearing is not very good but I can hear the chime it makes when it locks and unlocks.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20200608_18_42_04_Rich.jpg   WP_20200608_18_42_42_Rich.jpg  

Old 06-08-2020, 05:23 PM   #7

Massachusetts
Programming

To get my pin number in I exactly followed the steps in the video. There were either no beeps or I couldn't hear them.

Old 12-11-2021, 06:07 AM   #8

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
Do you have a 16 or 17? I have a 16 and I am told that the doors are curved whereas they are straight on the 17. People say the keyless latches won't work on a curved door. Did you get it to install on a curved door?
Old 12-11-2021, 11:18 AM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Oh sorry it is a 25 foot Bigfoot.
That is a flat door correct? I bought a keyless latch and am trying to figure out how to engineer an install.
Old 04-27-2022, 11:46 PM   #10

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
Hi John, Did you get that flat latch installed on your curved door. I am taking mine in next month to have it done and am getting ready to order the new one. I will get what you got if it worked! Thanks, Lynn
Old 04-28-2022, 03:03 AM   #11

North Carolina
Lynn, No I have it sitting on my desk. I haven't even opened the box. I really do need to get it figured out someday.
Old 04-28-2022, 03:09 AM   #12

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby123 View Post
That is a flat door correct? I bought a keyless latch and am trying to figure out how to engineer an install.
Yeah flat door. Sorry I missed your post.
Old 04-30-2022, 01:17 PM   #13

North Carolina
RV Lock keyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Lynn View Post
Hi John, Did you get that flat latch installed on your curved door. I am taking mine in next month to have it done and am getting ready to order the new one. I will get what you got if it worked! Thanks, Lynn
I'm working on mine, probably beginning Monday.

My idea is to simply Pray, glue and screw a wood block immediately behind the existing strike plate, removing the existing strike plate as necessary. Pray a lot. Remove the existing handle. Cut a huge square hole in the door to fit the new door latch. Pray some more. Bolt in place, shimming as needed. More prayers.

It certainly looks doable. I have the Scamp 19'. The existing latch plate is 3 inches or so back behind the lip of the door. The edge of the door cutout in the shell is a full inch or so back from the edge of the door, i.e. completely covered by the fiberglass door. It just seems that a wooden block, perhaps 2" x 2" x 6" could be fitted into place and shaped to look like a regular door latch strike plate. Then the hole can be carved into that and the metal strike plate then screwed onto that.

At that point it is a matter of cutting a square hole in the fiberglass door to fit the new door latch mechanism. The door itself appears to be solid fiberglass about an inch or so thick. The latch mechanism looks like it is about 2" thick once Installed.

Thus the inside latch mechanism might need to be shimmed with a piece of plywood or something to take up that extra space.

Anyway, that's the preliminary plan.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:58 PM   #14

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
The problem Thomas had with the programming was not his hearing, but rather the instructions not agreeing with reality. Its been so long now that I'm not sure but i think I ended up doing everything twice in quick succession to get the programming to take. (I have not programmed the fob, it is stored away.

On my door I did encounter an issue that the opening in the back end of the door where the strikers come thru is too large for the lock to seat on, and the strikers protruded out too far. I ended up taking the old plate that was screwed on the door and cutting some of the top and bottom off of it so it would fit INSIDE the door, then installing the lock, then carefully installing the new plate and screws, using some washers between the two to prevent from crushing anything, This clamps the lock into the door frame and it is tight. I think I bought longer screws for this.

On mine I had to grind off some of the handle inside where it was interfering with the screen door frame. I ground it down, rounded it and smoothed it with files and sandpaper and then used a black marker to color it.

When I close my door, either from the outside or inside, I pull the door handle to retract the striker and shut the door and push and listen for that final click. Its just less stress on a not real strong part.

Charles
Old 12-02-2022, 08:24 PM   #15

Massachusetts
Update

My keypad section is giving up the ghost. Probably due to UV light.
Attached Thumbnails
20221202_134550.jpg  
Old 12-03-2022, 12:32 AM   #16

Georgia
Posted over here so everyone can see it............

The keypad overlays and complete key pads are available.

https://www.latchit.org/products-6/k...less-door-lock

THIS IS THE CATS MEOW... https://olivertraveltrailers.com/for...eypad-upgrade/

ORDER IT HERE... https://www.rvlock.com/collections/r...42649755713730

https://glutenfreerv.com/keyless-entry-rv-lock-repair/

https://youtu.be/F8dp459QyfQ

Charles
Old 12-03-2022, 11:46 PM   #17

Massachusetts
I can always count on you. Thanks
Old 12-04-2022, 12:01 AM   #18

Georgia
Ordered one today. Mine isn't bad, but don't want to have to deal with it in the middle of camping season.

Always try to help where I can.

Charles
Old 12-04-2022, 02:09 AM   #19

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
Right I ordered one also
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote