Kim's 93 Scamp 13ft. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2015, 10:21 PM   #1

Name: Kim
Trailer: Scamp
California
Kim's 93 Scamp 13ft.

Hey everyone, I an intro in the intro area, but figured I would start a thread for my Scamps restoration.

We got it for free, but it needs some work, to say the least. LOL Here is what it started as.

We had to move about 6 trailers to get it out.

See it?

Limited to 8 photos per post, to be continued in next post.
KimScamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:22 PM   #2

California

The table is history.

Got it cleaned out and cleaned the cabinets.

Here is a before pic of the front window.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:23 PM   #3

California
After,

Today we started the process of taking the benches out so we can clean up the floor and water tank. Going to buy all new hoses for it. Once the floor is fixed I plan on putting hard wood flooring in.

So that is where I am today.

This is my plan for the front couch area. We plan on cutting the hole where the porta potty is sitting on, bigger so it can drop down inside that area. Then cut the center section out and put a removable table there, and make cushions for on top of the porta potty (will cover it up so you can see it} and a cushion to match for the other side. Here is a bad drawing trying to show what I want to do.

So eventually it will sit 6 people with a table for all, and sleep 2. It's only the 2 of us so that will be perfect for us, but we can still entertain others during the day or whatever.

I will update this thread as I do more to the trailer.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:34 AM   #4

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
wow, Kim! That is a serious cleanup job. It looks like you have made some real headway already. If you are not opposed to putting hours of elbow grease, i'd say you got a good deal. Congrats on the Scamp and welcome to FGRV.
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:11 AM   #5

Name: Jeff short for Jennifer
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
North Carolina
So glad it found a good home.
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Lotsa work & lots a potential
Elbow grease is free just like your trailer
Enjoy it & have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #7

Name: Carol
Trailer: Scamp / 1949 Hudson
Florida
Definitely a project camper...but looks like you have a good handle on what you want to do with it....will be watching for the updates.
We have a 13' Scamp....
You mentioned seating for 6 inside.....I think you will be spending most of your time outside unless the weather is too bad.
Good luck..keep up the good work.
CandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:38 AM   #8

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
OMG !

Thanks for all of your hard work to resuscitate this Scamp. Keep the photos coming; we'll all be interested in how you put the pieces back together again.
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #9

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
doing good keep it up good to have you here
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:55 AM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Two points: Using the forklift and roll-back is just plain cheating. And your story would be more interesting if your entertaining plans were for night time.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:18 AM   #11

Name: Steve in NY
New York
That is dirtier than my 16 when I got it, so maybe this will help. It looks like your floors are solid. I removed all the benches like you have and then I had my son get inside with a shop vac, and I pressure washed the interior, spraying it liberally with that LA cleaner everybody here raves about. It came out like new, and all the smells (and mildew stains) are gone. Before anybody chimes in that that is a bad idea, the alternative for me was to rip it all out and start over! The trick was to be careful to not spray to close that you ruin the fur and to immediately suck up the water before it did damage. I started at the top and worked my way down. I thin put a dehumidifier inside and in a couple of hours it was bone dry.

As for the water lines....I found that clear braided hose to be a expensive. I replaced it all with pex, using the regular crimp connectors. I was about the same price with all the fittings I needed, but I feel so much more confident that its not going to leak.

Somebody said thes trailers are fun as they are like little doll houses.
Steve in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:26 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Congratulations

It needs work, but the price was right!

"That'll buff right out."

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:19 PM   #13

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in NY View Post
That is dirtier than my 16 when I got it, so maybe this will help. It looks like your floors are solid. I removed all the benches like you have and then I had my son get inside with a shop vac, and I pressure washed the interior, spraying it liberally with that LA cleaner everybody here raves about. It came out like new, and all the smells (and mildew stains) are gone. Before anybody chimes in that that is a bad idea, the alternative for me was to rip it all out and start over! The trick was to be careful to not spray to close that you ruin the fur and to immediately suck up the water before it did damage. I started at the top and worked my way down. I thin put a dehumidifier inside and in a couple of hours it was bone dry.

As for the water lines....I found that clear braided hose to be a expensive. I replaced it all with pex, using the regular crimp connectors. I was about the same price with all the fittings I needed, but I feel so much more confident that its not going to leak.

Somebody said thes trailers are fun as they are like little doll houses.
Thanks for the info. Never thought about pressure washing the inside. Did you just use a shop vac to suck up the water out of the carpeted walls? I am getting close to tearing out the main entrance flooring (it is bad so needs replaced), so that will be a good time to pressure wash the walls. The water will have a place to run out. I think we are going to be able to salvage the upper table area wood. There is one bad spot but hubby is just going to patch it.

If I go the pressure washing suggestion, I think I will try to tape some plastic over the table area wood, that way it won't get as wet.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:13 PM   #14

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
You might want to try a gentle pressure wash now and then come back later with a steam cleaner or Rug Doctor upholstery cleaner. I know some Scamp owners have also brushed in Resolve carpet powder cleaner and sucked it out with a vacuum.
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:23 PM   #15

California
I got a little more done today. I'm actually as far as I can go by myself. Now I need hubby to do his part by fixing the floors. After he fixes the floors I need to go pick out what top flooring I want and get hubby to install that. Then my fun begins and I get to start putting it back together and decorate.

Before I get to far though, I need to find some windows. I need 2 side window, the door window and also the back window. The others will do for now, but I don't have any windows in those areas mentioned. Going to the RV shop to see if they may have anything and if not I will have to make a call to Scamp to see if they can help me. The door window we may be able to have them repaired by having someone make the glass to go in the frames. Not sure on that yet.

Here is my progress for today.

This is the only bad spot in the table area. We think the water tank must have leaked. Will check it out before we reinstall it.

Hubby say's he can just repair it. Not going to pull that whole floor out.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:27 PM   #16

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
WOW, hard work but you are doing a great job! I am so glad you are saving this little baby! Price is right so it's tons of elbow grease and imagination. Wishing you all the best and thanks for posting pics as you go along.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:37 PM   #17

California
Hubby fixed the hole and then he put a thin coat of fiberglass resin over the old flooring. We figured that would help preserve it a bit more and also when i go to clean the carpet walls, the water won't soak up in the wood.

Since I have the lower floor out, as soon as the resin dries on the other floor, I will try my hand and washing the walls. Wish me luck.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:30 AM   #18

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
I wish RV manufacturers would use plywood instead of flakeboard/OSB. Its much lighter in weight, stronger and slower to rot. But, it would add $20 to the cost so they don't. I would pay a $200.00 upcharge for the option.

OTOH, if you keep either dry they will not rot. Its water leaking that causes most problems. Unfortunately by the time leaks are discovered rot is well underway.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:53 AM   #19

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Wow! You're off to a great start! It made me sad to look at the condition this little trailer was in before you rescued it. It will be so satisfying to give it a brand new lease on life!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:49 PM   #20

California
Today I went to lunch with my hubby and he had a surprise for me.

I think I have enough pop rivits and caps to re do the whole trailer. LOL He got them from a friend at the RV place we got the Scamp from. They said they would give us what ever else they find too.

I also cleaned the walls and all. I just used some carpet cleaner, sprayed it on using a weed killer sprayer, then just used the hose to hose it all off. I did try a pressure washer to see if more would come out, but there was nothing left to come out. It didn't turn out to bad.

Before,

During,

After,

Before,

After,

Going to let it dry for the next day, then on Sat. we will go buy the base flooring and I will pick out what hard wood flooring I want. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I will have the floor done.

Tags
scamp