Kitchen or no kitchen? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2016, 02:39 PM   #21

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
We did a compromise that has worked well for us. For built-ins, we have a 3 way fridge and a sink, but no stove. (Thanks, Thom for that idea.) We have 2 separate butane cookers that can be used indoors or out. Since our dishes and utensils are stored in the camper, cleaning them in the sink has been more convenient than washing outside, though we can clean larger items outside if easier. If nice we eat out, if not so nice, inside is fine. And we have extra counter space.
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:12 PM   #22

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
We moved from a tent to a pop-up with no kitchen. I continued to cook outside under an awning, or a rain fly. With the Scamp, I cook outside a portion of the time, I do however appreciate the stove inside of the trailer, and having hot running water for cleanup!
Old 01-25-2016, 04:29 PM   #23

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi; very interested in this thread--

OK- what's a PITA?

And just in case and off topic, what's SMH? Seeing it around a lot lately.

Thanks!

Kai, puzzled pup
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:35 PM   #24

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Pain In The Ass
Shaking My Head

Internet Slang words - Internet Dictionary - InternetSlang.com
Old 01-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #25

Name: Bill
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
My wife and I have a Trillium 1300 that we are fixing up. Decided on taking out the stove so we can have more counter space. The sink is still in the origional spot. We cook out side as much as we can and if there is bad weather then we just use the coleman inside. Much prefer having the extra (flat) counter space than a second stove that does not get used very much.
Material Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:41 PM   #26

Name: Alex
Trailer: Boler 1300
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Material Guy View Post
My wife and I have a Trillium 1300 that we are fixing up. Decided on taking out the stove so we can have more counter space. The sink is still in the origional spot. We cook out side as much as we can and if there is bad weather then we just use the coleman inside. Much prefer having the extra (flat) counter space than a second stove that does not get used very much.
Ya, that's what I may also consider. I'll likely remove the furnace and replace the fridge with a 12V fridge so if I can do away with the gas system on the trailer completely that would be ideal for me.
AJCmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:00 PM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
To me, cooking inside is much easier than cooking outside. For the latter I have to set up the camp stove and then make multiple trips out the door with stuff... followed by more trips to get the things I forgot. Then carry it all back inside after dinner. I think, why bother with all of that when everything's within reach inside the trailer?

The exception, of course, is when I want to grill. Can't do that in the trailer anyhow! But the rest of the meal still gets cooked inside, usually.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:09 PM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCmedia View Post
Ya, that's what I may also consider. I'll likely remove the furnace and replace the fridge with a 12V fridge so if I can do away with the gas system on the trailer completely that would be ideal for me.
If I may ask ,What is the advantage of removing the propane and running the refrigerator on 12 VDC ?. I have a 100 watt solar system but even that is inadequate to supply enough power to run my refrigerator on 12 volts.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:13 PM   #29

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Hi, Sergey, thanks! Less puzzled now.

Kai
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:44 PM   #30

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If I may ask ,What is the advantage of removing the propane and running the refrigerator on 12 VDC ?. I have a 100 watt solar system but even that is inadequate to supply enough power to run my refrigerator on 12 volts.
It's more a thought at the moment, like I've said everything will have to be tested before I make any major decisions. I prefer simplicity in many aspects; therefore, if I can eliminate something that could produce possible problems in the future and its not crucial to whatever I'm doing then I usually opt to remove it. I don't know what I'm going to find in the camper that I end up buying, but if it's built in the 1970's I imagine that a lot of the propane lines/ accessories will need to be replaced by up to date equipment. If I simply replace everything with electrical then I have only one system to worry about. I can run an ARB 12v fridge which will operate fine with only a solar set up charging a 12V battery.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:43 PM   #31

Name: Bill
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
To me, cooking inside is much easier than cooking outside. For the latter I have to set up the camp stove and then make multiple trips out the door with stuff... followed by more trips to get the things I forgot. Then carry it all back inside after dinner. I think, why bother with all of that when everything's within reach inside the trailer?

The exception, of course, is when I want to grill. Can't do that in the trailer anyhow! But the rest of the meal still gets cooked inside, usually.

I just prefer to keep the moisture and the cooking odors out of the place that I am sleeping. And I don't mind the 10 - 15 extra steps that it takes to go from in to out
Material Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:01 PM   #32

Name: Tom
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
We started out with a trillium 1300 but also found the bed to small for two, when I found a trillium 4500 with a front dinette I bought it because the rear dinette bed is wider ( wife and I can sleep and still turn around with out touching ). We can use the front dinette to sit or eat , as we had to last summer ( rain and bugs ). We also cook inside and out, do dishes in and out as well.
I am from BC , have a 1300 ( may be sold , and two 4500 trillium that I am restoring . One 4500 will be for sale soon.
caderider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:26 PM   #33

Name: rita
Trailer: currently shopping
Massachusetts
Hi Alex,
Personally I am with you about having more sleeping and moving space inside the camper. I like the table to play board games on a rainy day, other then that, the small frig is handy but I have never used the stove as I have my kitchen set up under the screen house outside. I do everything outside including the dishes. I like the air drying the dishes and make the space large and homey. I am presently looking for a 13 foot scamp or similar brand in Ma or New England area. There are some older ones renovated that I am looking at. Hope it helps. rita
rita in ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:53 PM   #34

Alberta
@rita in ma & @caderider1 thanks for your responses. @caderider1 are%100 sold let me know, I am in the market.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:05 AM   #35

Name: Tom
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCmedia View Post
@rita in ma & @caderider1 thanks for your responses. @caderider1 are%100 sold let me know, I am in the market.
I have someone in Victoria interested in the 1300 trillium but has not seen it yet. I hope to talk the him tomorrow.

As for the one 4500 trillium ,it is not sold. If you would like to send me your email I will send you some picks , and info.
caderider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:11 AM   #36

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Must be able to make coffee so no one gets hurt by the crazy people in the little white camper but that can be off of battery or just enough stove time to boil water to make a batch to store in the thermos. Decent instant is better than random slaughter and blood curdling sobs and screams. Tea will work in a pinch.

If you ever have had a flooded Coleman liquid fuel stove then you will know why they say to only use outside. Unless to signal a ship at sea for rescue, several foot high flame good for that too. I think the lack of low oxygen shut off and minor explosion potential from propane leaks are probably at least part of the motivation. I have stuff from back in at least the 60's that has that warning. On the heater I have always wondered what do they think I'm going to use this for outside? Maybe it has to do with using them in tents?
Your coffee paragraph made me laugh because heaven help those of us who don't get our coffee first thing in the morning! So far our indoor stove has been used exclusively for coffee in the morning! Priorities!

Also thought I'd weigh in on using a Coleman stove inside. A few years ago we were camping at Zion and the family next to us had their Coleman stove catch on fire while placed on the picnic table. The attachment had sprung a leak, and it was releasing gas and flames so high they were flicking the tree canopy. We sent the wife for the ranger and cleared the area of people because we weren't sure if it would explode. As it was, it blew flames toward their tent, melting the fabric and singed the trees. It scorched the picnic table and it was terrifying. I would never use one inside a closed space after experiencing that.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:32 AM   #37

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
No kitchen? Perish the thought! If the weather is decent, it's the Cobb grill for, well, grilling, pizza, and the like. Otherwise, it's the stovetop in the "kitchen". Between a small pressure cooker, pot, and fry pan I can pretty much make whatever I like. Mind you, I'm a food geek (I was going to say "kind of a food geek" but, no, "Food Geek" and proud!) and I HAVE to have a place to crank out a good meal.

Nothing beats getting a kick-ass meal out when it's pouring rain outside and you're snug-as-a-bug inside doing the cooking. Just look at this happy camper: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0367.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	92063 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0381.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	343.0 KB
ID:	92064

GcB
(Hi kids! Been off the list for a while...)
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:22 PM   #38

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Hi all

Food and bears don't mix well for us so we keep all of our food and preperation out of the trailer. We keep our food and kitchen type stuff in the truck in rubbermade boxes and an ARB fridge. We do have a little water inside for drinking and the all important morning coffee.

Having the food in the truck is great when we leave the trailer at a campsite and go exploring. When ever we are hungry we pull over and we can cook/make what ever we want to eat. We can also stock up at the store easily with just the truck as the fridge is always with us.

This works well for us but everyone is different.

Cheers
colinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:34 PM   #39

Name: Susan
Trailer: Casita 17' SD; Tow Vehicle 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
North Carolina
Registry
I cook outside most of the time, but really enjoy having the option of being inside. When camping with temperatures in the 20's or heavy rain or winds, it is nice not to have to worry about an awning, tarp or screen house. Also, as has already been mentioned - when I have been hiking or kayaking in wet/cold weather, it is really nice to be able to get back to the Casita and get inside to put on some comfy clothes and fix something in a warm, dry place! When not being used, both the sink and stove have covers, so can be used for other things if needed. I keep the sink uncovered, but put a pad over the stove cover because I don't use it as much. I know you will figure out the system that works best for you!
Susan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:28 AM   #40

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
This may be a NSS (No **** Sherlock) but I can't help saying that the kitchen doesn't have to be removed to not use it. It can be repurposed. The cabinets can hold clothes, office supplies fishing gear, photography tools, or other supplies. A simple cover for sink/stove turns that into a desk. Remove the lower cabinet door and you can sit up to the counter on a stool to use a laptop, do projects, etc.

And I don't know about you, but I don't want to drive me and the kids into town on a rainy morning for breakfast. I think I am going to us my microwave, toaster and Baby Keurig a lot. Gotta have a place to put 'em.

Lastly, looking at state park camp site maps has made me realize that the water sources are often NOT right next to each site. I think I am going to use my onboard freah water more than I thought. We shall see.