Kurt G's build log with lots of pictures! - 13ft Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #1

Name: Kurt
Trailer: Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Kurt G's build log with lots of pictures! - 13ft Scamp

Hi all, last August we got rid of our oversized popup and picked up a scamp from another member on here. We used it since then, the previous owner had done a lot of work on it, I was told that before he bought it, it had been sitting out under a tree almost rotting away. He had done a lot of work to it, so this is almost a continuation of the work that had been started.

Here it is the day we got it home:

It wasn't long before we had a 100 degree day and decided to escape the heat to the beach. Note the low cloud layer, most day camping cloud cover 10 feet off the roof would be a bummer, but not that day!

Since then we've had it out a couple of other times, I had fixed a few things: I replaced the leaky roof vent with a factory replacement from Scamp. Loose wiring was repaird to some of the running lights. Then the winter came and so did the rain. I noticed water coming in from the rear window and then discovered a leak in the rear window seal, so that was replaced.

Now fast forward to this week. We had always wanted to replace the original carpeting with somthing easier to clean beach sand and dirt out of. Since the carpeting had seen better days I started to rip it out:

It was during the removal of the carpet I discovered mold beneith the carpet, presumably as a result of the window leak, who knows how long it had been leaking? After removing all of the carpet, a bleach solution was applied to the entire floor to kill the mold, mold had also creeped it's way up behind some of the seam tape. After a coupld of applications of bleach I applied a liberal ammount primer to give the new flooring a good surface to stick to:

Now this is where the snowball effect started: Since I had found mold behind the seam tape I decided to remove all of teh seam tape and caulk the cracks like I had seen here in other threads. Here's a picture of an exposed seam, tape removed:

I caulked the seams, and without an exact color match to the tan that the interior had been painted I primed and painted the interior before the instalation of the floor. Then the floor instalation begun:

One box of vinyl wood flooring:

The flooring is peal and stick, it can be cut with ease by scoring with a mat knife and then folding over. It took about an hour and a half to get the entire floor installed:

Total cost of the flooring was $29 at Lowes, I used an aluminim angle piece for the top of the step up into the dining area: $4 and an aluminum door sill to cover the end of the wood at the front door: $8.

I will continue to update with pictures and details and the things progress. Feel free to comment or ask questions!

Still to come:

The interior: Recovering of cushions, new custom curtains, LED lighting, modified table to make access to the bench seats easier.

Systems: The previous owner had installed a solar charger and a panel which I plan on keeping. I will be moving the current Solar controller to a larger tongue box so I can house a larger deap cycle marine battery. I am also planning on upgrading to a charge controller that will allow me to charge from shore power and run the 12v systems from shore power.

Exterior: Eventurally will be painting the fibergass above the belly band. As stated above a larger tongue box that will be able to house the solar controller, a larger deep cycle marine battery and have some extra storage room for wheel chocks, and other odds and ends. Instalation of perminant stabilizer jacks on the back.
Kurt G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Very nice---I will have to check out that flooring myself!!!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Kurt, I did the same with the seams and they are starting to separate. I will probably order seam tape from Scamp and redo all of the seams.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:46 PM   #4

Name: Kurt
Trailer: Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Kurt, I did the same with the seams and they are starting to separate. I will probably order seam tape from Scamp and redo all of the seams.
What kind of caulking did you use? I used an adhesive caulk instead of a normal bathroom caulk because I was worried about that exact issue. Hopefully I wont run into that problem, if I do I wont be crushed, most of the tape needed to be replaced anyway.
Kurt G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I used painters caulk because I knew I would be painting it. It could be the extreme Texas heat causing it to shrink. Oh well you live and you learn.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp