Lagun Table Mount - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2017, 04:49 PM   #1

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Lagun Table Mount

I just installed the Lagun Table Mount in my Scamp 13.

https://www.marineteak.co.uk/lagun-a...ing-system-331

I will be setting it up with a permanent single bed across the back, seating for two or three (with one sitting on the bed). I've ordered the foam for the new cushions that I'll have a local company make the covers or do it myself.

I mounted the table mount on the 45 degree angle section of the bench, curb side. I do not have a table top as yet, still deciding on what size and whether to mount it on the center or somewhat off center. Using just a large cutting board to try out swing, etc. It seems I will be able to use the table from any of the sitting positions, or store it over the curb side bench, or swung around in front of the closet. This mount lifts right out of the bracket without tools, and includes a storage bracket for the upright leg on the back of the table top, so it is easy to store if you want to completely remove the table.

I ordered the table mount the day before yesterday, it shipped from Great Britain yesterday, and arrived here about noon today! They beat Amazon for fast delivery by a mile. It was shipped Fed Ex, kinda expensive, but well under $200 including shipping.

Will post some photos when I get a table top and the cushions. Won't be as fancy as many of your renovations, but I hope it will be more functional for me.

Install was pretty simple and seems very secure. Comes with all the necessary hardware, even a pre-drilled backing board. It is designed for use on boats, thus for attachment to fiberglass.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:43 PM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Thinking Outside the Box

Sounds interesting Lyle. If I'm tracking, you'll end up with the rear part of the bed down permanently, and the forward part of the bed like a dinette, with the table between the benches? Be sure to get us pictures. See you in February.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:27 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Wow, you work fast, Lyle! I, too, look forward to your pictures. Have you already done the conversion to a full width bench/bed across the back? How wide did you make it?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
You can buy it on eBay for $175. I'm planning to install one in my Bigfoot B19 to create a 2-person side dinette. Post photos of yours... would love to see what you do with it.
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:22 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I just installed the Lagun Table Mount in my Scamp 13. ...
I mounted the table mount on the 45 degree angle section of the bench, curb side.....
How did you reinforce the mount? (The fiberglass bench is not strong enough by itself). IMHO this is the most critical thing to consider when putting the Lagun in a Scamp so please share your solution.

I'm happy to say that mine is still good even though I was a little concerned that the angle brackets I used inside the bench might not be strong enough. I have even caught my clothing on the lower handle a few times and therefor inadvertently jerked pretty hard on the Lagun but no damage has occurred.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:11 AM   #6

None
I just used the backing board that came with the mount. 1/2 inch plywood, about twice as large as mount plate itself. It then has four bolts that go through the mount plate, the fiberglass, a washer, then the nut. It sandwiches the fiberglass quite securely. I also figured that by placing it in the 45 degree section, the fiberglass would have the additional strength and rigidity of the angles close on either side of the mount. I guess time will tell.

I also plan to keep the table top smaller than what they deem the max, so that will contribute to less stress than the design can hold.

These are marketed for mounting in boats, particularly onto fiberglass benches, as advertised, so I assume they are engineered for the same. Seems quite secure. I did see one install video, where the owner glassed in some wooden stiffeners on the inside of his bench, but this was for an install in the center of a relatively long bench with no other support.

Perhaps I will consider screwing a base plate onto the floor, then adding one or two wood triangle braces (or block) between the floor base plate and the Lagun backing plate, gluing these all together. Will think about it while doing the rest. Perhaps overkill, but probably worth it.

As one YouTube vlogger that I follow states, "This is polishing the diamond", getting critical input then modifying your approach.

Comments?
Old 11-05-2017, 11:30 AM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
Perhaps I will consider screwing a base plate onto the floor, then adding one or two wood triangle braces (or block) between the floor base plate and the Lagun backing plate, gluing these all together. Will think about it while doing the rest. Perhaps overkill, but probably worth it.
That could well turn out to be very much not overkill. Especially if you have children. Sooner or later they will lean hard on the table, putting most of their weight on it, or something similar will happen, and then the vertical post acts as a lever, multiplying the force on the mount. Then you might have to repair the fiberglass bench as well as the mount. Just my two cents.

Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
--Archimedes
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:24 PM   #8

Name: Richard
Trailer: Escape 21
Texas
Lagun table leg in Escape

I just installed a Lagun table leg in my Escape 21. We have the U shaped dinette so I mounted it on the front of the back bench beside the fuse pannel/converter. I reinforced the bench front veneer with 3/4 inch plywood and bolted the table let through the veneer and plywood. I backed the plywood with 4 of these shelf brackets from Lowes. They are screwed into the plywood and the floor of the trailer. I found that the front of the bench was not exactly perpendicular to the floor so used a wood shim underneath the shelf brackets to make them more secure.
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:21 PM   #9

None
Just realized I never added the photos. I have moved to a 16 ft Scamp now, but here are some photos of my mod to the 13. Worked quite well for a couple of years, so well that I did a similar mod to my 16 ft.
Attached Thumbnails
P1000429.JPG   P1000430.JPG  

P1000433.JPG   P1000435.JPG  

Old 12-14-2019, 09:42 PM   #10

Name: Shangie
Trailer: Northwood Nash 22/1977 Trillium 4500
Washington
Nice job! We have the same mount for our boat's exterior table and feel it is worth every penny due to being able to position the table the way we want to depending on use.

We made a cardboard mock up of the table size we wanted and experimented with that to get the permanent size and mount right. We used Starboard as the table top- it is holding up well to a marine environment.
Shangie is offline   Reply With Quote