Large or small refrigerator? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2017, 06:24 AM   #21
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Absorption refrigerators are known for poor performance in summer temperatures. A search will produce lots of discussions on the subject. I have the smaller fridge, the 2193 1.9 ft^3 fridge. It seems to work better than most and has the benefit of no DC drain on propane that Gordon mentioned. It has no freezer so the cooling system is entirely devoted to the refigerator. That may be why it works so well???
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:33 PM   #22

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Refigeration

I have a 13' Bigfoot 93. I have installed a 2193 Dometic. P.O. had taken the factory installed 2190 out. Why. ? Some liquids like milk needed to be put in smaller containers, laid on side because of shelf height constriction. I put a refrigerator fan in the frig to move air around. 3x3x3 +-. Food placed near the cooling fins will freeze, meats set close stay frozen. lettuce too close will freeze. I have no space for a larger unit. I have cooler, surrounded with 2" hard construction foam; carried in toe. (stays in place during trips) bottom and sides taped together with "Gorilla duck" tape. Lid removable. Foam surround is measured to allow cooler to be lifted out. We use the square chocolate nut bottles from Cosco, frozen at home, small size 6x6x8 high ( just a guess ). Foam is great in extreme Ut. heat. We also have a portable Dometic Frig. smaller interior than2193, top loading, will freeze things left to close to cooling fins does not have a regular freezer function RC 4000. It has wheels, runs on 12 volt, or propane. (just get the tiny gas bottles. or larger if used all the time). carry in trailer during travel. (can be set out when not in bear country) The large non portable ,cooler ( left in toe ) holds larger objects, then separate into smaller amount then to frig. Food can't stay in tow for a great period of time in freezing temp. unless temp. warms in toe some times, never leaving cooler to get too cold. Insulation holds ambient temp around cooler away when left for short time as temperature gets freezing, or warmer during travel. Holds temp correct during long trip periods in heat or cold. My friend has a Scamp; decided to not up grade to a frig because he felt cost did not justify the amount of time used yearly. It came with a cooler installed.
Sorry I am running on.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:03 PM   #23

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
small fridge

Welcome Ben, isn't this place an amazing source for looking for FB trailer advice? My take on your question is our trailer has the smaller fridge 12v, 120 and propane. I also added a small circulating fan which helps the cooling. We purchased a rotomolded pelican that keeps ice for four days even in summer heat. With these two we do just fine. I will tell you the Pelican is heavy. Another tidbit is that when running on propane my trailer has to be level.
Have fun!
John
Old 10-24-2017, 08:16 PM   #24

Name: Ben
Trailer: Scamp
OR
Yes wow what a resource. I've gotten so many ideas for our camper now that I'll have to call back to Wayne and add a few outlets and maybe a few other things. I'm still scouring the site for suggestions about other aspects of our scamp as well.

Thanks!!

Ben
moosenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:09 AM   #25

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
We had a 4.0 cf fridge in our Casita. When we bought the eggcamper it had a 2.7 cf and we knew it was going to be a HUGE downgrade. After using it 2.7 cf for over a year including a 2 week trip, the 2.7 is big enough. I sure wouldn't want any smaller. And if I could, I would have bigger just because, and for the room to pack looser. But have to admit the 2.7 has not been an an issue.

We do only keep food in fridge tho - drinks go in a cooler because we like our beer ICE cold!

Also, there are just the two of us empty nesters camping. More mouths would need bigger fridge unless just a long weekend trip.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator