LED clearance lights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2006, 09:52 AM   #1

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Decided to replace the two 2½" round red roof marker/clearance lights on my Burro with LEDs. Wasn't necessary but curiosity about this new technology got to me. Two inch round LEDs came, from an ebay source in Michigan. So I see the fixture components are sealed-imbedded in a cake of resin, like a neat plastic pie.

The price was right but now I know why they only cost $2.35 each. They have a plug-in, twist-on bayonette type mount, but came with no mounting grommet/base. I wanted to flush mount the fixtures using the same holes as the old fixtures.

After a day of digestion it ocurred to me I could make my own mount. I soldered wires into the plug-in. Then made a template, and shaped/glued up white plastic into being the twist-on mount. The plastic cut easily with snips and with a utility razor knife. It needed two 2" round plastic disks per fixture. They are glued together with Loctite glue. The inner one had a tapered bayonette mount shape and the outer one added the thickness necessary to clear the mount, alongside with added rubber washer made from an old inner tube.

Hey, it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Leds.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Myron,

Please send me the link for the small round LED's. The only flush mount ones I found were built to be recessed with a rubber grommet. Looks like yours screws into the fiberglass like the old style. How many LED lights in each one of these?
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:07 PM   #3

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Quote:
Myron,

Please send me the link for the small round LED's. The only flush mount ones I found were built to be recessed with a rubber grommet. Looks like yours screws into the fiberglass like the old style. How many LED lights in each one of these?
Gary here's a link to the guy's ebay store:
<div align="center">http://stores.ebay.com/TMI-LED-TECHNOLOGY</div>
There are only 4 led bulbs in mine but he has others. Remember mine only screws into the Burro fiberglass like the old style because I constructed my own plastic mounts for that purpose. All you get is the actual, sealed 2-inch light, with a male bayonette mount.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:30 PM   #4

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1987
Quote:
Gary here's a link to the guy's ebay store:
<div align="center">http://stores.ebay.com/TMI-LED-TECHNOLOGY
There are only 4 led bulbs in mine but he has others. Remember mine only screws into the Burro fiberglass like the old style because I constructed my own plastic mounts for that purpose. All you get is the actual, sealed 2-inch light, with a male bayonette mount.[/quote]

I also had to fabricate new topside mounts for My Burro when I replaced all the clearance lights with LEDs. Went a slightly different route by using the base of the original lights, then glueing the sealed LED unit onto those..

As for connectors, I purchased the two-prong connectors from the same place I got the LED lights (www.buytruckstuff.com)

Regardlesss, it does make the Burro look spiffy...

- Michael
MKohlman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led lights, lighting, lights