LED light conversion - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2021, 02:10 PM   #1

Name: Alan
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.5 CB
British Columbia
LED light conversion

I have a 2005 Bigfoot 17.5CB. I would like to convert the exterior marker, brake and taillights from incandescent to led's. Anyone done this that could advise on what I need?

Thanks
beckam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:38 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Search amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckam View Post
I have a 2005 Bigfoot 17.5CB. I would like to convert the exterior marker, brake and taillights from incandescent to led's. Anyone done this that could advise on what I need Thanks
Just search the lamp number with the letters "LED" after it. May be something like 1157led or 194led.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:28 AM   #3

Name: William
Trailer: 13' Perris Pacer
California
BEWARE! A lot of the 1157 LED bulbs offer little contrast between the brake/turn signal circuit and the headlight/tail light circuit. Anyone out there found LED bulbs that work as well as the good 'ol #1157 incandescent bulbs?
mchalewj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:32 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
https://smile.amazon.com/Clearance-W...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://smile.amazon.com/Bargman-47-...%2C189&sr=8-46

https://smile.amazon.com/LED-Trailer...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

This is what I used on mine. You will need to relocate the wires in the marker light to the center by drill a hole. There is quite a large hole behind the original marker lights.
Attached Thumbnails
4E5FCC49-0A8E-41FF-B355-9D16AE8CC4B1.jpg  
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:32 PM   #5

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalewj View Post
BEWARE! A lot of the 1157 LED bulbs offer little contrast between the brake/turn signal circuit and the headlight/tail light circuit. Anyone out there found LED bulbs that work as well as the good 'ol #1157 incandescent bulbs?
Tried some for 1157 and found they were to dim to see properly in day light. So dim unsafe, the contrast problem would be one more reason. Was going to install all led, including clearance into existing light fixtures.

We used new factory led lights on utility trailer they are fine. Bolers trailer lights are original and keep the look we want.
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:26 PM   #6

British Columbia
Only thing is, it looks like you lose the clear section in the replacement tail-lights that is in the original tail-lights that I assume are for backup purposes.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:29 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
https://smile.amazon.com/Clearance-W...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://smile.amazon.com/Bargman-47-...%2C189&sr=8-46

https://smile.amazon.com/LED-Trailer...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

This is what I used on mine. You will need to relocate the wires in the marker light to the center by drill a hole. There is quite a large hole behind the original marker lights.
Only thing is, it looks like you lose the clear section in the replacement tail-lights that is in the original tail-lights that I assume are for backup purposes.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:34 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
I think that might be to illuminate the license plate, which is a legal requirement.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:47 AM   #9

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
No more back up lights

Quote:
The new LED Scamps dropped them.
https://www.scamptrailers.com/produc...river-side-led
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 03:26 PM   #10

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Normally I would use M4Products for my LEDs, but I needed some 194 replacements and I didn't see anything I liked at M4. I ended up at Superbrightleds.com and ordered 194-NW5 lamps that worked real well in the marker lights.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...mens/3308/874/

If you have the Bargman tail lights, which I would think you have on an '05 then the conversion is easy.

Bargman 42-84-410 LED Stop/Tail/Turn Light (Upgrade Module for Incandescent Lights - Red)

Couple of screws and you are done.

I did my backup lights but if you do that, you lose the red reflector and you will have to add reflector to the rear.

Bargman 4784026 Clear LED Backup Light

Grote Reflector, RED, Mini Stick-ON Rectangular, Retail Pack (40132-5)

Charles
Old 08-11-2021, 10:15 AM   #11

Name: Joel
Trailer: In the market
Montana
I initially did just the bulb replacement and found it was a touch better, but nothing that great. The fixtures are just not very good at directing the light. On the other hand Dorfman now sells led specific replacement fixtures that are plug and play with the old ones. They're one meeeeeellllion times better.
Monster Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:15 AM   #12

Name: Joel
Trailer: In the market
Montana
Oops Bargman not Dorfman...
Monster Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:20 AM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Hair View Post
Oops Bargman not Dorfman...
You know, for a couple of hours after you post, you can hit the "Edit" button and correct any mistakes.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:41 AM   #14

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
This brings up my situation. My Burro needs to have all of its exterior lights rewired after the shell was lifted off of the frame to replace the complete floor. I'm thinking this would be a great time to replace the tail lights/turn signals with complete LED units. Does this sound like a logical step or am I whistling at the moon?
I'd love to hear about your actual experiences with this type of conversion, but armchair observations will be entertained as well. TIA!
Regards,
Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
This brings up my situation. My Burro needs to have all of its exterior lights rewired after the shell was lifted off of the frame to replace the complete floor. I'm thinking this would be a great time to replace the tail lights/turn signals with complete LED units. Does this sound like a logical step or am I whistling at the moon?
I'd love to hear about your actual experiences with this type of conversion, but armchair observations will be entertained as well. TIA!
Regards,
Froggie
Your photo shows you have round taillights. The 7” round school bus taillights would look great. You would need to add a license plate light.
Old 08-11-2021, 01:28 PM   #16

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Thanks, mszabo. That would be appropriate since I’m a retired school teacher.
Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 01:35 PM   #17

https://smile.amazon.com/Partsam-Tra...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://smile.amazon.com/LED-Trailer...s%2C200&sr=8-1
Old 08-11-2021, 09:03 PM   #18

Name: Doug
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
Texas
X2 Superbright

I’ve used Superbright LEDs on my ‘Foot and other projects with good results.
D
Doug Barlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:02 PM   #19

Name: Rober
Trailer: Rover
Pennsylvania
Initially, LEDs were installed to illuminate the dashboard and the indication on it, the interior illumination, and the light when opening the doors. When they achieved high brightness readings, they began to be installed as parking and brake lights. To install LEDs in the rear lights, you have to decide on what you have and what skills you possess. The easiest method is to use a conventional led strip light. If your lights are round, you will need a side-lighting LED strip. Otherwise, you won't get "glowing circles" when the brake pedal is pressed.td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}
berrycheris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light