LED tailight mod..... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2008, 09:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Surfside
This is something that I just tried out. I didn't want to replace the stock tailights so came up with this idea and due to the LED lights being so bright its still a huge difference even with the extra red lens. The LED lights came from Princess Auto on sale for $9.99, the angle bracket is something from Home Depot that cost a $1.50 that I found in the fence department, and then glued with some two part epoxy glue and epoxy putty. Only other mod which was needed was to remove the blub assembly and cut some of the stock plastic out from the light fixture. Let me know what you think.

Attached Thumbnails
P6170048002.jpg   P6170050004.jpg  

P6170054008.jpg  
kentj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Quote:
This is something that I just tried out. I didn't want to replace the stock tailights so came up with this idea and due to the LED lights being so bright its still a huge difference even with the extra red lens. The LED lights came from Princess Auto on sale for $9.99, the angle bracket is something from Home Depot that cost a $1.50 that I found in the fence department, and then glued with some two part epoxy glue and epoxy putty. Only other mod which was needed was to remove the blub assembly and cut some of the stock plastic out from the light fixture. Let me know what you think.
I'm assuming these are running lights, not brake lights. Look great!
How did you maintain the seal for the trailer?
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:40 PM   #3

Quote:
I'm assuming these are running lights, not brake lights. Look great!
How did you maintain the seal for the trailer?
cheers
Ian
Nope they are both running/brake/turn (see the three wires) As for the seal not much will change there, because the wires came through the shell, so I'm going to pull the new wire to the inside and splice the new with the old. I'll fill the hole up with some marine caulking, (it doesn't have to look that great as it would never be seen)

Kent

Old 06-17-2008, 11:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Do you have a separate light for the license plate? In my case one of the rear lens is made partly transparent at the bottom so that the original incandescent bulb running light also lights up the license plate through the transparent part, since the bulb sheds lights in all directions unlike the LEDs. So I was wondering if you were in a similar situation and how you would deal with it.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Do you have a separate light for the license plate? In my case one of the rear lens is made partly transparent at the bottom so that the original incandescent bulb running light also lights up the license plate through the transparent part, since the bulb sheds lights in all directions unlike the LEDs. So I was wondering if you were in a similar situation and how you would deal with it.
Didn't really think about it, but I'm sure I could get a single white LED light in there too. But don't really plan on towing or being on the road in the dark. But good catch!!

KJ
Old 06-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #6

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
Quote:
Didn't really think about it, but I'm sure I could get a single white LED light in there too. But don't really plan on towing or being on the road in the dark. But good catch!!

KJ

mine came with LED's thanks to the previous owner so I don't even know what the stock lights look like. here's what they look like on mine. also shows the new decals we discussed Kent. they turned out great.
Attached Thumbnails
rearshot.JPG  
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #7

Hey Scott those lights look pretty stock to me...did the previous ower just replace the bulb with a LED one? By the way that new decal looks great!!!

KJ

Tags
led lights, lighting