Leocraft updates..Moving forward - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Leocraft updates..Moving forward

I finally have the time to start my interior renos on the Leocraft, after a year of living in it "stock". I have spent most of my time with it fixing infrastructure and running gear issues, then the work just stopped after it was safe, clean and "Put Upable".

Because the interior is built more like a stick built than most eggs, the possibilities are endless. I could re arrange the furniture, eliminate or add space as needed (With some modification to things like water tank locations etc) but I quickly came to the conclusion, as far as that goes, that my skill levels lack and frankly, the way the manufacturer laid it out is exactly why I bought it.

So, the refinishing of the aesthetics are my main concern. My home was a cabin, with all the rustic trappings of one, and I wanted to recreate that comfort level. Wood. Lots of wood. BUT..weight being an issue, I did not think that was possible.

Not true. I found a product at Lowes that is 1/4" planks of knotty cedar as light as balsa wood. Shop EverTrue 8-ft Stain Grade Knotty Cedar V-Groove Wainscot at Lowes.com

At 20 bones a package, I grabbed 1 to experiment with. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to trim (I am just using a multi tool and a box knife for rips, believe it or not) and how "substantial" it looks when installed.

The interior walls of the Leocraft are luan with a hard foam backing and brad nails seem to work just fine for sturdy installation. I bought 3 tubes of liquid nails to do it with, but they do not seem needed.

I have tackled the kitchen, tho it still needs some touch ups and custom trim work. I used a natural varathane stain.

Before and after (Sorry, no straight on before pic DOH!)
Attached Thumbnails
leokitch.jpg   kitchen1.jpg  

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #2

Registry
I removed the hood over the stove and it opened it up quite a bit..not to mention eliminating a certain ugly factor. The window next to the stove suffices for ventilation, and a steel plate will be installed under the cabinet for safety. I will be pulling the stove top and replacing with a 2 burner, so I don't know where to position it yet. There does not seem to be a big heat issue there tho.

The wires for the hood will be reused for a new light fixture..stupid me forgot the junction box and it's 26 miles BACK to the hardware store..it will have to wait a few days.

Here is what the planks look like sideways. Again, the weight is negligable. I am guessing an envelope weighs more than this bit I am holding here.
Attached Thumbnails
plankwidth.jpg  
Old 02-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #3

Registry
All the wall hanging stuff is Ikea (Help, I went to Ikea and I can't get out!) Total price was..14 bucks. I LOVE the dish drainer. I LOVE Ikea, but man, you need a whole day to get thru it LOL.

The countertop will be redone with RustOleum.com in the "Light Ash" Color, as well as the fridge face.

The rest of the rig will be done the same as soon as I experiment with window trims..I have an idea, but need to find sample parts. The ceiling may or may not get the wood. Haven't decided yet. I am not thrilled with 100% wood, so it may just get painted a cream linen color. Well see.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #4

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I love the cabin look! That's really nice.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #5

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Very nice
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I love the smell of cedar.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #7

Registry
I do too..it kinda smells like Varathane at the moment tho :-(

It is amazing how one simple thing can take the feeling of "RV" away, and put "House" in. I fulltime, so this is a little more important to me.

Eventually, I would like to build a "Tiny House". I spend endless hours online getting ideas.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:12 AM   #8

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Hey Gina,

I was just thinking about you and wondered where you are??

I love the wood interior, it looks great.

The Tiny House you'd like to build, is that one of those little wooden houses on wheels. If so, they are cute.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:24 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
Eventually, I would like to build a "Tiny House". I spend endless hours online getting ideas.
Best go here then:

Borrow decorating ideas from these 9 space-savvy vintage trailers to polish a small interior that stays put
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #10

Name: Dennis & Linda
Trailer: Leocraft 17ft fiberglass rv by Monarch Industries
Ontario
Registry
Leocraft Updated

Welcome back Gina! So you finally took the plunge lol. Nice job so far. Looking forward to the rest of the renos. I plan to do some more myself this summer.Did I mention to you that I installed a microwave above the sink and under the cabinet. It sits on an open shelf with one chrome leg support which sits beside the sink. Our paper towel holder is attached under the shelf. Works really well. I plan to put air in this year - not on the roof but in the closet near the ceiling. I will be cutting the top off the closet to shorten it. There will be a shelf on top and the air conditioner will be recessed into the outer wall beside the upper cabinet above the sink. that,s the plan so I will let you know how it turns out. Continued success with your renos. Keep up the good work!
Your fellow Leocrafter
Dennis S.
Dennis Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Just looking at this picture. Are you being held captive?

Old 02-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #12

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Looks Great! Love adding wood inside to break up the white.

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #13

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Fantastic job! It looks perfect. I love the wood and the pot holders and everything. Thanks for sharing.

I think it is good to leave some areas plain just for contrast.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #14

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Gina, I love the way the wood looks! Very homey. Now you are going to have to find new cupboard doors.
Just wondering, is your fridge an RM36?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #15

Registry
David, the fridge is an ancient unmarked dometic. I am pretty sure it is an RM36.

Thomas..actually, I am in a place where OTHERS are held semi captive..I have a key tho. I am a civilian employee on a Forest Service compound. I am housed here to provide a nightime presence in the area, besides my day job. I am somewhat captive in that I have to spend the night here and I am not allowed visitors. It's a closed compound. No public allowed. Horrible view, eh?

I LIKE the cabinet doors. I painted them temporarily until I can afford new ones. But they are growing on me.

Dennis..yes, the big air space in the closet is a waste of space. So much can be done with it! I am going to do a half door to hide my dresser drawers and make put my TV in the upper space.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Welcome back Gina! Love the lil cabin your creating!

FYI, the RustOleum.com is a cool product. Been doing sample boards just this last week. But I will tell you, don't expect to be able to do it and sleep in the same place for a least 12 hours! The smell is very strong!!!!!! As I said, I have been doing samples to figure out my colors, application, etc. Love the product but the smell until it drys will bowl you over! I have been doing my samples on tiles and taking them out in the garage to dry..... But it lingers! A day with the windows open will help to get rid of some of it. Watch out for the fur baby's!

I don't have a addictive personality, I love to shop! I am not addicted to it! I enjoy it......... But Ikea, now that could become an obsession! Great place to shop for our lil glass trailers.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Nice job Gina! Personally restrict myself to only one trip a year to Ikea.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:36 AM   #18

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Cozy Cabin on wheels!

Wow! Love, love, love the cabin look, Gina. Great idea to use the 1/4" cedar.
I'm an Ikea fan, too. I recently spent a day in one, looking around at lots of things for ideas. Also bought a couch we were looking for.
Keep up the good work.
Painting the doors and perhaps putting some type of fabric on the ceiling will keep it bright in there. Too much wood might darken the place too much.

Best,
Fran
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #19

Registry
More work has been done. I am frantically trying to get all the work done that requires an electrical hook up as I move back into a campground to host in a month. SOOO

I am busy slapping up the cedar while I can use the jig saw without a generator.

Progress so far, sans the trim in a lot of spots. (I can cut trim with a hand saw or my battery operated multi tool) and ceiling/wall paint. A lot of details need fixing! All can be done without power, so I am skipping over those for now.

For the cedar, I still have the area around the bed to do + the back wall of the sofa. There will be paint around the windows and on the fiberglass curve where the walls join ceiling.

Unfortunately, I had the literally destroy the green lamp that the PO installed on the back wall. He didn't ever think of removing it, and he bunged up the threads when he installed the back nuts. I had no room to cut the bolts off and had to cut the base of the lamp to get to them out

Its not perfect, but its MUCH better.

PS. The "Flame" in the door mounted faux fireplace is a Glade battery powered lantern..2 of them. These things are very well done. Its great at nite!
Attached Thumbnails
leokitch.jpg   longlivingafter.jpg  

Old 04-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #20

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I really like that. Do you think you are adding much weight? Does the cedar smell?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote