Lighting trailer at night using automotive fuse - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2018, 06:26 AM   #21

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We put reflective tape on the belly band of our trailer
It draws no electricity , when it is dark out it doesn't bother others ,helps finding your trailer trailer at night if you have a flashlight
and it's inexpansive

Inexpansive is good - we are running out of space on this planet.

Steve - your next post will be number 3000. Congrats!

Jim
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:52 AM   #22

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
does steve win a gal of free cherries on this even?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:52 AM   #23

Missouri
sorry

sorry should be event

bob
Old 03-19-2018, 08:27 AM   #24

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
Inexpansive is good - we are running out of space on this planet.

Steve - your next post will be number 3000. Congrats!

Jim
Thank you for recognizing my great achievement which I can only attribute to having too much time on my hands.
My next goal is too improve my spelling and post editing skills.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:11 AM   #25

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Not a big fan of this idea. Not opposed to it either. I can say that before we moved to town (preparation for retirement) we lived out the in county on a dead end road. First thing we did when we moved in was to call the electric company and have them turn off that yard light. It stayed off for almost twenty years and I never regretted that decision. Neighbors on both sides each had those yard light and I know that they paid the $10 monthly fee for that light for twenty years. Hummmm...

bill (not laura)
Old 03-19-2018, 09:25 AM   #26

NW Wisconsin
My neighbor decided WE needed a yard light so he called the power company and had one put up on the utility pole between our 2 houses. Now our bedroom is lit up all night .
We objected but the power company says as long as he pays the bill it stays .The county says there is no ordinance dealing with outdoor lighting so they can do nothing. He likes the light cause his bedroom is on the other side of the house.
At least in a campgrounds you can move. I would take care of the problem with my pellet rifle but that seems rather extreme.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #27

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=steve dunham;688330]My neighbor decided WE needed a yard light so he called the power company and had one put up on the utility pole between our 2 houses. Now our bedroom is lit up all night .

I've seen those lights with a "baffle" or shield in them to help prevent the light from shining in an unwanted direction. Is that possible in your case Steve?
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #28

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My $.02 worth...all I can say is I can CERTAINLY find better entertainment in a campground than burning park/brake lights! I agree with Glenn B's idea on THAT one!

Just a piece of advice, regardless what others do, I would NOT burn my "incandscent" brake lights for no long period of time. Have you people ever noticed how HOT these "brake" lights (bulbs) get????
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #29

Simple fix: BLACKOUT shades.

Quote:
My neighbor decided WE needed a yard light so he called the power company and had one put up on the utility pole between our 2 houses. Now our bedroom is lit up all night .
We objected but the power company says as long as he pays the bill it stays .The county says there is no ordinance dealing with outdoor lighting so they can do nothing. He likes the light cause his bedroom is on the other side of the house.
At least in a campgrounds you can move. I would take care of the problem with my pellet rifle but that seems rather extreme.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:40 AM   #30

NW Wisconsin
[QUOTE=mary and bob;688349]
Quote:

I've seen those lights with a "baffle" or shield in them to help prevent the light from shining in an unwanted direction. Is that possible in your case Steve?
I do not know . I was thinking of climbing the pole and spray painting one side of the fixture lens black.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:43 AM   #31

Name: Mike
Trailer: Winnebago
Wisconsin
Quote:
For what it’s worth, we live in a rural area and experience the same problem of the big security light at our neighbor’s house. Hard to enjoy the stars with all of that light pollution.
In terms of my original question, re lighting up the camper lights at night, here is what I’m mostly getting out of these comments:
1. Can add to a festive atmosphere, so long as you don’t irritate your neighboring campers by leaving it on all night
2. Might or might not enhance security while boobdocking, depending on the circumstances
3. Must take care not to drain your battery too far
Mike in WIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:00 PM   #32

Name: Josh & Sonya
Trailer: '97 Casita SD 17; 03 Bigfoot 25RQ
Arizona
Jumper for trailer driving lights, and solar light for entry

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
mike I like the fact you have shown us the way to make it work for whatever reason.

I installed a little solar light right above our outside light. it glows at a very low light until you step up to the door. then it puts out just enough light for you to find your door lock as soon as you go inside it shuts down.

the lisatania came up with this nice idea!

makes things very nice and handy

bob
I agree with Bob about this being a useful tip, thanks Mike. We recently had to park at a Walmart in a position where people coming into the lot near that entrance were always swinging in our direction to avoid a nearby speed bump. I put out an orange cone to make sure we were visible at night, but turning on the corner lights of the trailer would have been even better, or a good addition.

Bob, can you give a link for the solar light you described?

Thanks,
Josh
Josh and Sonya W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:04 PM   #33

Missouri
amazon light

lisatania put me on to it. just type in solar rv light on amazon search bar. its not very big it comes with tape just mount it above your porch light.

comes with a little bitty wire to turn it on

good luck

bob
Old 03-19-2018, 02:10 PM   #34

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
A funny bit of correspondence between neighbours about a light. Some of you may have seen it, it has been around a few years. A couple F-bombs dropped in it, but not too bad.

This guy's neighbor bought a new floodlight. What happened next is absolutely hilarious.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:17 PM   #35

Missouri
lights

jim I live in the country I put up 3 flood lights I have blackout curtains I don't know they are on until I go outside.

I don't have any neighbors for 1/4 of a mile but I can see some bad outcomes knowing people today!

our camper has heavy curtains we can stay anywhere and not be bothered!

oh well!

bob
Old 03-19-2018, 02:22 PM   #36

My Barracuda Webfilter kicked that one out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
A funny bit of correspondence between neighbours about a light. Some of you may have seen it, it has been around a few years. A couple F-bombs dropped in it, but not too bad.

This guy's neighbor bought a new floodlight. What happened next is absolutely hilarious.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:41 PM   #37

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
My Barracuda Webfilter kicked that one out
Not sure what that is, I got in no problem. 'tis a safe site.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:49 PM   #38

Business web filter...probably a "false positive".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Not sure what that is, I got in no problem. 'tis a safe site.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:25 PM   #39

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in WIS View Post
This is a question, as much as a comment.
Another camper once showed me a method for lighting up all of your outside trailer lights at night by simply inserting a blade-style automotive fuse into 2 adjacent slots of the 7-pin electrical connector. It would seem to have a negligible drain on the camper battery, especially if your outside lights are LED. Is this a good idea? Any cautions to be aware of?
Besides inserting a blade fuse, there is a commercial product, the GRIP Trailer Light Plug (GRIP: Grand Rapids Industrial Products) that does the same thing but its rubber housing fits snug around the 7-pin connector to help keep moisture out (I just received one in a St. Patrick's Day gift swap! No idea what it costs.). Also, if your camper breaks down on the road at night and you need to leave your camper on the side of the road for a time, you can also insert an old-fashioned turn signal flasher into the same two slots, and your marker lights will blink on and off (just like your tow vehicle's hazard flashers, but without the tow vehicle) to make it even more visible to approaching vehicles.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:37 PM   #40

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
My $.02 worth...all I can say is I can CERTAINLY find better entertainment in a campground than burning park/brake lights! I agree with Glenn B's idea on THAT one!

Just a piece of advice, regardless what others do, I would NOT burn my "incandscent" brake lights for no long period of time. Have you people ever noticed how HOT these "brake" lights (bulbs) get????
Your brake lights are not on, just the parking lights.....big difference.

Tags
light, lighting