Like Magic! More Space! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2014, 05:20 AM   #21

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I would like to build a small cabinet shaped like one quarter of a pie, to house a small microwave. It would fit on the front couch in the unusable corner next to the kitchen. Besides holding a microwave in the bottom, the top would provide a countertop extension for our kitchen. I want to make it removable for boon docking trips, or when we might use the extra bunk. The rounded back of the cabinet would extend to the seat base next to the wall, so it wouldn't rest on the cushion.

I found this microwave that looks like it would be a good fit for what I have in mind. Has anyone done this before?

Amazon.com: Whirlpool WMC20005YW 0.5 Cu. Ft. White Countertop Microwave: Appliances

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:48 AM   #22

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
It's odd but I use my microwave a lot at home, but never in the boler so we have opted to leave it out. Occassionally I will take my little toaster oven if I know I am having something like pizza! and we are not travelling. Cakes and pies I cook right on the stove, on a rack in my big frying pan that has a nice domed lid.
We like the freedom to boondock any time if we are travelling and if we pull in late, we have sometimes been stuck with a space in the campground's parking lot, or ball field. We've never been turned away if we are willing to forgo services.
Our favourite Provincial Park Campground here in Ontario is Kiosk (North west corner of Algonquin) and they have no serviced sites. This small campground is a little piece of heaven that I hope never to have to forgo.
Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:57 AM   #23

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
I did use the corner of the couch in our Scamp 16 where no one can sit because of the bathroom.

I built a cabinet above the couch for mainly clothes storage. Ours is 27 inches deep and goes from bathroom to front wall. It does allow people to still ly down on the couch but eliminates the bunk function. Our cabinet is cantilevered off the bathroom wall.

Check post 60 in the following link.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...a-46387-5.html

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:28 AM   #24

Name: Tom
Michigan
Norm you are the true master of time and space! Well space, anyway. The cabinet I have in mind would look like the bottom half of the one you built. We need counter space more than anything else with the big bed / short kitchen model we chose. Good job, by the way.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:32 AM   #25

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
The campsite where my Burro™ does most of its duty is technically "off the grid" as far as AC current is concerned. I'm close enough to the rest rooms that I can run a 100' orange ID/OD drop cord and charge my battery, but during big events even that is discouraged. My all around cooking solution is a Camp Chef™ two burner stove with oven powered by propane and sitting on a half wire grid, half plastic table outside the door. Unless the weather is nasty (and my camping is mostly curtailed anyway) this frees up more space inside. This is a bonus anyway with my little 13 footer that is so small sometimes I have to step outside just to change my mind!

I guess we all have our own needs and ways of dealing with them, and other folks may suggest ideas that will work for us... but the bottom line is, it's gotta work for you!

"Microwave? I don' need not steenkin' microwave!" (At least not while I'm camping!)

Froggie (off the grid today and chillin')
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #26

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
So glad I saw this thread. My microwave will be going out the door and instead will be a toaster or toaster/convection oven. I think it will be much more functional than the microwave and I love toast with my fried eggs. Wish I had thought of it.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:17 PM   #27

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Toast is always is nice. It is one thing I miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:31 AM   #28

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
If you want toast, get one of these to use on your stovetop:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are some compact microwaves out there - I got one of these last year and it works great. Has a handle on it for easy moving around:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:10 AM   #29

Florida
Master of Time as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Norm you are the true master of time and space! Well space, anyway.
Tom

Since I was young when my Dad died I've tried to master time as well. I quickly figured the amount of 'alive' time was limited.

As a result, in my working life I had a lot of different careers. feeling it was like living more lives. Every job lasted just about 5 years and then off in a new direction and new, fresh set of experiences. One of my early friends told me to 'maximize fun'. For me 'fun and different' are related.

As we've aged and retired, we've focused on doing more of what we like, maximizing fun and attempting to avoid negative entanglements. In a small measure this required, at least for most of the year, divorcing ourselves from our past.

I read an interesting quote from Einstein today, than an on obtuse way applies to life and avoiding negative entanglements.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

We're now in our 14th year of 7+ months travel. We feel so blessed to have had this time. Mastering time by having fun.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #30

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1990 13 ft Casita DLX #6
Colorado
This thread got me thinking. Some items I use are stored in the hard to get to low shelves. I'm off the grid 95% of the time. And the comment that a microwave is redundant, especially in a limited space situation, is correct. I need the space more than the rare convenience of a microwave. So I going to convert that spot onto storage that will be used daily.
Losthwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #31

Florida
We've eliminated our microwave in the rig. There's nothing the microwave does, though not as cleanly, that can't be done on the stove top, plus it's extra weight.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-26-2014, 05:56 AM   #32

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Like Magic! More Space!

I need to build some cabinet doors. I found some matching cabinet knobs and ordered some hinges. The hard part will be matching the door panels.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote