Lil bigfoot tail lights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2023, 06:39 PM   #1

Name: Nick
Trailer: Lil bigfoot
British Columbia
Lil bigfoot tail lights

The tail lights on my 1987 13’ bigfoot are starting to bug me and creeping higher on the to do list. They still work but barely, not worth repairing in the state they are in. I think I’m going to replace the original 3 light Bargmans with similar partsam leds from Amazon. The Bargman replacements I’ve found so far are at least twice the price and look nearly identical. Has anyone used the partsam led lights?

While I’m at it I thought I’d deal with a light that isn’t working that is mounted above my spare tire. It looks like a running or brake light with a licence plate light on the bottom with a 2 filament bulb but only 2 wires. It appears these trailers came with a spare tire cover that had a licence plate mount and maybe a light? The wiring on mine looks like it might be stock but the light and bracket was probably added, no spare tire cover. I’m wondering what the stock configuration was. If there was a light, was it just a licence plate light? Knowing what was originally there might save me a bit of time in reverse engineering.
Nick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 08:56 PM   #2

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Have you measured to see if the cutout in the fiberglass is the same and what about the screw hole spacing? Consider that the cheaper lights have 12 LEDs vs 16 for the Bargman. Bargman is a quality product. My 2008 Bigfoot came out of the factory with LED stop/turn/running light and a incandescent backup/reflector. I added the LED backup and additional red reflector plus DOT reflective tape on the bumper.

The all red DOT tape proved to be of poor quality and I replaced it with the red/white tape seen in some photos.

The 6 inch reflector is made by Grote however I have 12 inch plastic reflectors made by Bargman which I intend to install.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Tail light final DOT tape installation.jpg   Tail light with final DOT tape install and Grote prismatic reflector added.jpg  

Tail light new LED backup light and first DOT tape install.jpg  
Old 06-12-2023, 07:44 AM   #3

British Columbia
Those are all good things to consider. The partsam lights don’t have as many LEDs as the Bargman and may not be of the same quality.

I did decide to order the partsam lights. They were quite a bit cheaper and while they have less LEDs than the Bargman lights, they seem plenty bright. Way brighter than the original incandescent Bargmans. They were a perfect replacement for the originals. All the screw holes lined up, no modification required.
Old 06-14-2023, 10:52 PM   #4

Name: Charles
Georgia
Interesting that they are carbon copies as far as fit goes.

Charles
Old 06-18-2023, 08:37 PM   #5

British Columbia
Ya, I didn’t think they would line up perfectly. They listed all the measurements on the listing(in decimal inches, wtf!?). Which seemed to line up pretty close as far as I could measure on the originals. Didn’t have any misaligned holes when I got them. Didn’t have any issues with fit at all and they look basically identical too, same trim/light design.

They look like comparable quality but we’ll see how they last.
Old 07-04-2023, 06:57 AM   #6

Name: John
Nova Scotia
I've recently bought the Partsam LEDs. I have an '87 B-17 and am in the process of gutting and repainting the entire in/out of the unit. The lights on this baby were so old, that trying to remove the plastic lens, even inside broke the plastic.
jayoh999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, light, lights, tail lights