Looking for speakers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2014, 10:38 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Looking for speakers

I was thinking of using speakers that plug into a headphone jack and are powered and amplified either by a usb or 12 volt.

The idea would be to run off mp3 player or projector. Anyone have any recommendations? I have not found any locally, and can't listen to them online before buying.
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:34 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I have seen speakers like you want at both Wall-Mart & Radio Shack. I would think that Best Buy would also carry something like this.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:40 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
I use a Bose bluetooth speaker. Works from Ipad, Iphone, other bluetooth devices, or from a cable between the speaker and an external jack on your device. Can be used on built in battery or plugged into 12V or 120V. Sound quality is great.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:02 AM   #4

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
Bose Soundlink Mini.. More than enough to fill a small trailer.. Works off Bluetooth or aux jack

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #5

Alberta
It looks like I have some shopping to do, thanks all. I will check out the ones locally and I think it is safe to assume that if bose works for what I need, they will sound good and can be ordered without hearing them.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:33 AM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelmes View Post
It looks like I have some shopping to do, thanks all. I will check out the ones locally and I think it is safe to assume that if bose works for what I need, they will sound good and can be ordered without hearing them.
Got ours from Costco. This is the one.
Bose® SoundLink® Bluetooth® Mobile Speaker II - Nylon Edition

cheers

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #7

Name: Rick
Trailer: Burro
Massachusetts
If you tend to camp without hookups, look at powered computer speakers (freestanding-designed to plug into computers and come with a little wall wart power supply). They are inexpensive and most run on 12V which you get from your camper battery, via whatever ports you have. They also don't draw much power so will not run down the battery much at all. I have used such speakers for years with an iPod and it is WAY easy. We use em inside and out, since 12V is easy to tap into on an old trailer.

Rick
rick.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:48 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
For now, I just use my Milwaukee construction radio, it is what I have. If I use a 28V battery, it lasts all weekend with one charge. You can either connect directly to it, or I use a small bluetooth receiver to play from my phone at a distance. Pretty darn good sound. We usually keep it about 20 ft away from us, so the sound is not right in our ears.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:04 AM   #9

Alberta
The plan is to permanently install 2 small speakers on the roof, above the kitchen. I want the power draw to be minimal. Beside it I plan to install a mini projector. The trailer has a white backsplash, which on rainy days will become a screen. This will create a 30" TV. I like the idea of also being able to play music on it.

I have removed the LED lights and plan to put the speakers there.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita
Speakers

For strictly plug-in type of use, I've found these West Marine speakers to be more than adequate. Easy to mount without cutting big holes.
Attached Thumbnails
W marine speaker.JPG  
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:34 AM   #11

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
I bought a set of usb powered speakers from my local Verizon store. $29. The internal battery will last for hours before need charging. They also have a magnet base which comes in handy. Pretty good sound and base from a 2" speaker.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #12

I bought a Bose soundlink mini and it works amazing in or out of the trillium ...

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
chris cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:53 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
How to find things you want to purchase.

I have a method that so far has worked pretty good for me. Fist thing I do is go to Amazon.com and find what looks like what I had in mind. Then I go to manufacturer's web site to more details, most manufacturer's have a section that lists stores that carry their products. Armed with manufacturer's name and model number a phone call to the local store tells if they one in stock. This saves a lot of gas and running around looking for what I want.

The next step is find the lowest price for the item. Then purchase.

Good luck.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:17 AM   #14

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
On the opposite end of the price spectrum from Bose I bought a pair of powered external speakers for use with a laptop for about $25 at Staples or Office Max. They work fine for movies and music.

Of course I'm A) older and can't hear subtle tones (or my wife if the car window is open a little) Not listening to the New York Philharmonic Orchestra just plain old rock-n-roll and country. C) and most importantly an MP3 is not such high fidelity that it matters. Any decent amplified speaker will do.

Bose makes really nice audio equipment, I just needed some speakers.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:53 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I bought a Sony Bluetooth speaker with subwoofer and a separate Bluetooth transmitter I can plug into any source. Combo works superb; has about a 50 ft range, more than enough to set the speaker on a picnic table for listening. Both have rechargeable batteries and the transmitter can plug into a stereo USB port for charging while in use. Speaker batteries are good for 8+ hours, longer at lower volumes (has it's own volume control.)

Sony Portable Bluetooth Speaker SRSX3BLK - Best Buy

Amazon.com: Miccus Mini-jack TX: Bluetooth Music Transmitter pair it with Headphones, Speakers, Helmets and Bluetooth Receivers.: Electronics

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:30 AM   #16
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We carry a battery operated AM-FM-weather radio with an auxiliary input. The mp3 player plugs into that. It's not hifi but it works. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #17

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Looking for speakers

I looked at the little Bose speaker. I like the sound of the bigger one but it was too big.

I tried upgrading my built in speakers but they still sounded bad because the are not in a real cavity. The sound OK at low volume.

I just ordered a small DC powered amplifier. I have some wonderfully sounding Harmon Kardon Soundlink ii speakers. These have circuit boards that burn up after a few years. I refuse to buy any more. So I plan to remove the electronics and run them off my new small amplifier. I may need to replace the woofer with a dual coil part. I should brush up on crossover networks--something I haven't done in a while. At least then I will not have something designed to fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #18

Alberta
Lots of great ideas!!
Old 09-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Our tiny speaker system with music source. This little speaker is enough for our Scamp 16. Cost about $10-20, comes with retractable cord and built in USB charging port. Very rugged.

Probably not adequate for audiophiles but adequate for ears in their 72nd year.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
1411073847386.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:26 PM   #20

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelmes View Post
I was thinking of using speakers that plug into a headphone jack and are powered and amplified either by a usb or 12 volt.

The idea would be to run off mp3 player or projector. Anyone have any recommendations? I have not found any locally, and can't listen to them online before buying.
I use computer speakers for my TV in my Scamp.
They are plug-in, provide stereo sound, and have separate volume controls so each person can control their own volume.
You could use the input jacks on your TV for your MP3, or play CDs in a DVD player through the TV.
you can see them in the picture below mounted in the corners below the cupboards...
Attached Thumbnails
Pic009.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote