Marine Headliner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2021, 05:39 PM   #1
dgb

Name: Doreen
Trailer: Cadet n126d
Tennessee
Registry
Question Marine Headliner

If I use marine headliner, do I need to sand the walls and clean them first? There's bits of old dry rotted foam on the walls and ceiling.
Also, do I need to put something behind the marine headliner?

I'm a total newbie, so please help me!
I have videos showing the camper, on my YouTube channel. www.YouTube.com/c/CampingTherapy
It's a 1987 Cadet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (6).jpg
Views:	9
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	140026

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (7).jpg
Views:	10
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	140027
dgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:07 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Doreen, the headliner will show any imperfections of what is under it, plus not much of an insulating factor. Reflectix is an aluminized bubble wrap type insulation that should be glued to the the interior first (no need to get all the old glue off, just anything loose) with all the seams covered with aluminum duct tape, then the headliner. I have heard that Scamp uses two layers of reflextix under the headliner. I have found that using a dry paint roller to affix the headliner to the reflectix works better than using hands, as hands tend to stretch the ply able liner which results in wrinkles. Best of luck with your project. There is another type of marine headliner that is smooth vinyl, backed with foam rubber, so reflectix wouldn’t be needed as the foam is the insulating factor.
Dave and Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:14 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Doreen, the headliner will show any imperfections of what is under it, plus not much of an insulating factor. Reflectix is an aluminized bubble wrap type insulation that should be glued to the the interior first (no need to get all the old glue off, just anything loose) with all the seams covered with aluminum duct tape, then the headliner. I have heard that Scamp uses two layers of reflextix under the headliner. I have found that using a dry paint roller to affix the headliner to the reflectix works better than using hands, as hands tend to stretch the ply able liner which results in wrinkles. Best of luck with your project. There is another type of marine headliner that is smooth vinyl, backed with foam rubber, so reflectix wouldn’t be needed as the foam is the insulating factor.
Dave and Paula
Scamp uses a single layer of Astrofoil, which (like Reflectix) sandwiches two offset layers of bubble wrap (bubbles on one layer align with gaps on the other) between outer layers of foil. Their description is a bit unclear on that.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:31 PM   #4

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
To get good glue adhesion you will want to remove as much old material you can. I found a 4" angle grinder with a flappy wheel sanding disk worked best but you have to be careful not to get carried away and remove to much and start digging into the glass. After that you will want to clean the surface with an grease and wax remover. Then you can start applying the adhesive. Don't worry to much about the old glue as the new glue will bond with it.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:06 AM   #5

Name: Dan
Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
British Columbia
One nice thing about the marine headliner is that velcro sticks to it very well. In my Boler, that is a blessing since I'm not too crazy about riveting anything to it i.e. curtain rods
Argus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 07:44 AM   #6
dgb

Tennessee
Registry
This is what I ordered. I'm putting up reflectix today.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TAN-Un-Back...-/223923416047
Old 03-30-2021, 10:01 PM   #7

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Be sure to use high temperature contact cement if you want it to stay when it gets hot from the sun.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 10:07 PM   #8
dgb

Tennessee
Registry
Spray Adhesive

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Be sure to use high temperature contact cement if you want it to stay when it gets hot from the sun.
Yes, I bought the good stuff. I used 3 cans today, just putting reflectix in 1/2 of the camper. I'm gonna buy 10 more, to make sure I have enough.
I bought Permatex Heavy Duty Automotive Headliner Adhesive.