Marine Heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #1

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Marine Heater

Does anyone use Marine Heaters in their campers? I would think the Dickinson Propane Heater with a shield would make a great heater and not require and electricity to operate it.

Also, I like the diesel stoves and heaters Dickinson makes. You could go a long time on a 55 gal drum of diesel.

The Newport model is bulkhead mounted--would require a heat shield, and burns 1.29 to 3.2 gal per 24 hours at 6500-16,250 btus.

A 6 gal jerry can would last 2-5 days. A 55 gal drum would last 17 days on high and 43 days on low in continuous use!

I would seriously think about a diesel heater or a diesel stove.

If you don't like the smell of diesel, a Dickinson propane heater. They have two models:

A 5000 to 7000 btu heater that last 140 on low and 100 hours on high, or,

A 6000 to 9700 btu heater that lasts 110 on low and 78 hours ob high.

These are safe vented heaters. They are not cheap, but if you camp frequently, or long term like a full timer. I think they make sense.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:01 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
[QUOTE=Night Sailor;271340]Does anyone use Marine Heaters in their campers? I would think the Dickinson Propane Heater with a shield would make a great heater and not require and electricity to operate it.

Also, I like the diesel stoves and heaters Dickinson makes. You could go a long time on a 55 gal drum of diesel.

__________________________________________________ ________________

For some time I have been considering replaceing my stove with a dual Hob/heater from Wallas or Webasto. Many of the posters on ExpeditionPortal.com are using them in their off road campers.

This is a thread that I was part of with some folks from OZ. Some good information. I'll check out the Dickson products.

Diesel hot water systems
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #3

Connecticut
[QUOTE=HerseyBA;271383]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
Does anyone use Marine Heaters in their campers? I would think the Dickinson Propane Heater with a shield would make a great heater and not require and electricity to operate it.

__________________________________________________ ________________

For some time I have been considering replaceing my stove with a dual Hob/heater from Wallas or Webasto. Many of the posters on ExpeditionPortal.com are using them in their off road campers.

This is a thread that I was part of with some folks from OZ. Some good information. I'll check out the Dickson products.

Diesel hot water systems
I am not familiar with Wallas, I'm thinking about Webasto for my boat--highly recommended by an installer friend. I don't like the energy draw though. It is the best system, as long as you have the power to run it. I'm looking for long hang time as I'm an ocean sailor. When I sail in the Caribbean, I'm like a boondocker, I avoid shore based visits as much as possible. I even bring my food with me when I fly down--although baggage fees may end that practice.

I may just put a Dickinson in first and see how it works. With a day tank I could get by without a lift pump. I've been stuck on boats without power many times over the years. Smart boaters have three charging sources--just in case. For example, engine driven alternator, solar, and wind generator. Two is not considered reliable enough for a boat, however, I'd think two would be fine for a trailer, perhaps one if you had a low electrical draw features like LED lighting.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #4

Connecticut
My friend is selling some sort of Japanese brand diesel heater. I think it is too big for anything but a 5th wheel, or larger tag-along. It might be an option for someone in a very cold climate. If anyone is interested I can find out more about it.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:08 PM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
We used Webasto heaters on semi trucks, I like them.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote