mattress for a Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2020, 10:31 AM   #1

Name: skip
Trailer: 16' Casita
Arizona
mattress for a Casita

My back is killing me from sleeping on the cushions with a memory foam topper in my Liberty!
Have you replaced your cushions with a mattress? If so where did you get it? How thick is it? How do you like it? How did you deal with the rounded corners and access to the storage areas? Is the mattress hinged in the middle to allow for access?

Any words of advice?
sjack541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:40 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
You can get the entire mattress or the shell.. the shell allows you to build your own mattress in pieces so its easier to move in and out of the camper but it might not be much different than what you have now (its not an inner sprring if you use the shell with foam and cushions). I have the shell and when its assembled in place I can lift it enough to get the storage areas (in a Scamp) but its not easy. I try to not use the storage under the bed benches and relocating the water drain valve to under the camper would make sense.
See:
https://www.southernmattressnc.com/casita-mattress.htm
https://youtu.be/kdErkDmikLE
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 11:21 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have a Casita SD17 and bought a Southern Mattress 4 years ago and love it. The specs are 5" HR30, 2" Visco memory, 1" puffy cover. Southern Mattress is in Rocky Mount NC, we called to order, the lady there was very helpful with choosing which one to order. We had it shipped to a friend's business to lower the shipping cost.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 12:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
We have a Casita SD17 and bought a Southern Mattress 4 years ago and love it. The specs are 5" HR30, 2" Visco memory, 1" puffy cover. Southern Mattress is in Rocky Mount SC, we called to order, the lady there was very helpful with choosing which one to order. We had it shipped to a friend's business to lower the shipping cost.
Make that Rocky Mount, NC - just a couple of miles up the road from me. To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a Rocky Mount, SC but there is a Rocky Mount, VA. Nothing resembling a mountain near either one And Southern Mattress does make a great product for our campers.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 02:18 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=Al and Cindy K;801244]Make that Rocky Mount, NC -

Yep, I got the wrong state. Edited it to be correct, Rocky Mount NC
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 02:37 PM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I originally had a really nice comfortable 9" thick pillow top mattress in FULL, but neither of us being young anymore, it was too hard for the person sleeping in the back to get in and out of it. I'm up several times a night and the wife's hips are not that great, so the "crawl-over" method went bye-bye. She prefers to use the side dinette as her bed, with a roll-up mattress pad, (not that cheap egg crate crap, but a real nice mattress pad,) and I sleep cross-wise in the rear. Since we don't need the FULL sized mattress anymore, I "downsized" it to a TWIN, and shortened the board under the middle between the benches accordingly. It freed up some much needed space inside the trailer for additional storage use.

I also converted the side dinette table top by removing the center pedestal and replaced it with a collapsible telescoping folding leg near the center aisleway. The wall side of the table is attached via a two piece "C" channel mating rail. Now it converts from bed insert to table in about 5 seconds. It also provides more under-table storage that was virtually useless with the center pedestal. And I don't bang my knees on that pipe anymore either. The table is much more sturdy now too.
Attached Thumbnails
Rear Bed 3.jpg   Rear Bed1.jpg  

Newbed1.jpg   side_dinette3.JPG  

side_dinette1.JPG   Table Leg.jpg  

Table_Side Dinette.jpg   Table Mounting Board.jpg  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 03:08 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
We ordered one from Mattress Insider near Denver, Colorado and had a good experience.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...dux-93635.html

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 07:11 PM   #8

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
We ordered a foam mattress from Walmart and cut the curves with an electric knife. I can't remember if it's 6" or 8" but we didn't want it to obstruct the furnace intake. It has an inch or two of memory foam over regular foam. It's very comfortable and not heavy.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:40 AM   #9

Name: A&B
Trailer: 2011 Casita SD
Ontario
Casita Custom Mattresses

Contact Us | Southern Mattress

We have the Southern Mattress which I would highly recommend.
AandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:47 AM   #10

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
We ordered a foam mattress from Walmart and cut the curves with an electric knife. I can't remember if it's 6" or 8" but we didn't want it to obstruct the furnace intake. It has an inch or two of memory foam over regular foam. It's very comfortable and not heavy.
Just informational, but that "vent grill" on the side of the galley cabinet is not a fresh air intake for the furnace. The furnace gets all of its fresh air intake, as well as removal of the hot exhaust gasses, through the same stainless steel two-holed plate on the outside of the trailer. (The rectangular thing in the picture just above my wheel well table.) They do not take air from inside the trailer, and obviously, your exhaust is also expelled directly to the outside as well.
All that vent does is provide cabin air in for the furnace blower to circulate out the front furnace grate in the aisleway.
Attached Thumbnails
Casita 011.JPG   IMG_0007.jpg  

Old 12-27-2020, 08:58 AM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We bought an 8” thick foam mattress in a box from Walmart
Wife liked it , I thought it was hot and uncomfortable
Couldn’t see spending a $1000 on a custom mattress that we would use maybe 20 times a year
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:06 AM   #12

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Just informational, but that "vent grill" on the side of the galley cabinet is not a fresh air intake for the furnace. The furnace gets all of its fresh air intake, as well as removal of the hot exhaust gasses, through the same stainless steel two-holed plate on the outside of the trailer. (The rectangular thing in the picture just above my wheel well table.) They do not take air from inside the trailer, and obviously, your exhaust is also expelled directly to the outside as well.
All that vent does is provide cabin air in for the furnace blower to circulate out the front furnace grate in the aisleway.
Thanks! I should have known that....
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 07:15 PM   #13

Name: Cheryl
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjack541 View Post
My back is killing me from sleeping on the cushions with a memory foam topper in my Liberty!
Have you replaced your cushions with a mattress? If so where did you get it? How thick is it? How do you like it? How did you deal with the rounded corners and access to the storage areas? Is the mattress hinged in the middle to allow for access?

Any words of advice?
We got a foam mattress from Amazon. There are many of them. The double bed size fits nicely in the corners. Our mattress seems a bit too hard. That’s the problem, you can’t test it out before you buy. Some of the companies do allow you to return them.
cherylbredin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 07:42 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylbredin View Post
We got a foam mattress from Amazon. Some of the companies do allow you to return them.

How do you get it back in the box?
Old 12-28-2020, 08:10 AM   #15

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Yep, you can't put the Genie back in the bottle once you've allowed it to come out of its shipping "cocoon."
Old 12-28-2020, 09:32 AM   #16

Name: Cheryl
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Yeah... LOL no getting back in the box. They usually say donate it to a shelter or someone who needs it.
cherylbredin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:10 AM   #17

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
Mattress for a Castia

I had the same problem that you stated. Order a custom mattress from
Texas Mattress Maker, 4619 Navigation Blvd, Houston TX 77011, 7133416252.

I live in Houston so took Scamp cushions to factory show room. Suggest that you have mattress made in 2 or 3 part for ease in making the bed and getting into bench storage. If you provide a pattern of of the mattress you shouldn't have a problem getting what you want.

The mattress is the same type that I have on my bed at Home. about 10 inches thick. I sleep like a baby without the camper back problem in the early AM.
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:30 PM   #18

Name: Jann
Colorado
There's a place in Denver, CO that makes mattresses with rounded corners. You send them a pattern and they'll make it. I know a few people who have done this and are happy with them. Make the pattern one inch smaller than the area for the sewing areas. We use a mattress like a sleep number bed and when we don't have electric we use a small inverter in the TV receptacle above the bed to air it up or down for travel. You must deflate some if going up in elevation a lot to prevent bursting the mattress though. The corners of it compresses into the rounded corners. So far we've been good. We also have a Sleep Number mattress in our motor home instead of the hard foam mattress.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:51 PM   #19

Name: Amy
Trailer: Casita Independence Deluxe 17
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AandB View Post
Casita Custom Mattresses

Contact Us | Southern Mattress

We have the Southern Mattress which I would highly recommend.
The link is not to Southern mattress!
Old 01-01-2021, 10:54 PM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
There's a place in Denver, CO that makes mattresses with rounded corners. You send them a pattern and they'll make it. I know a few people who have done this and are happy with them. Make the pattern one inch smaller than the area for the sewing areas.
Mattress Insider?
https://www.mattressinsider.com/cust...attresses.html
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita