Max-Fan vs Fantastic - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2012, 06:29 AM   #1

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Max-Fan vs Fantastic

I'm getting ready to replace the original fans/vents in our EggCamper. The originals are very noisy and don't really move much air. Is Max Fan quieter than a Fantastic, or vice versa?

Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I have had both. Can't say I noticed one any louder than the other. Of course I wasn't listening side by side. The Fantastic fan had a resistor type 3 speed control. The Maxfan uses a more elaborate electronic (microcontroller/ puslewidth modulated) variable speed controller. Both work well. If I had a choice I would probably choose the Fantastic fan because of the good things I have heard from folks who have run into problems and had to call them. Their customer service is suppose to be excellent. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:32 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Ron,
My Nest Egg had the base Fantastic Fan in the front vent which I was able to upgrade to the variable speed
remote kit all within the interior without disturbing the outside seal. I even changed the lid to allow more light in. That said, I found converting the other rear vent needless. I did remove the skeeter type fan motor from it utilized the switch for a nice ceiling 12v light and changed the cover to clear to watch the moon and with just one fan operating it was very comfortable.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #4

Registry
Thanks Raz. I was also out on the web looking at the power draw for both. The high-end (14-speed) Fan Tastic says it draws 0.2 - 1.9 amps vs 0.2 - 4.0 amps for the high-end Maxx Fan. What's confusing about the Fan Tastic numbers is: the less expensive Fan Tastic (3-speed) draws 1.86 - 3.0 amps, but if you order the 6600r upgrade for the cheaper model, the spec drops to the 0.2 - 1.9 amp spec, yet the upgrade kit doesn't appear to include a motor change. I've emailed a question to Fan Tastic to see how they explain the specs and I'll post their reply when it arrives.

Both fans appear to push roughly the same air flow 900 cfm for Maxx Fan and 920 cfm for Fan Tastic.

Ron
Old 03-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #5

Pennsylvania
Registry
Fantastic Fan also offers double hulled insulated covers to eliminate condensation issues on the cover in the winter. They are a nice touch.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Yes, you would think the high speed current would be about the same. I am interested to see what they tell you.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
every thing i've read is both are good products. use the one your nearest dealer carries, in case you have problems.

and play hard enough so when you go to bed, no noise will keep you awake.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I've had both, and they seem about the same volume (the way I recall them-- having had the FF 6-7 years ago and a Maxx now). I rarely have an occasion to run the fan on high, and if I do it's only for 3 to 5 minutes, because that's long enough to draw lots of outside air in. Mostly I run on low and the sound is easy to forget.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #9

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
I'm getting ready to replace the original fans/vents in our EggCamper. The originals are very noisy and don't really move much air. Is Max Fan quieter than a Fantastic, or vice versa?

Ron
I'm a fan of the MaxxFan (pun intended) and have two mounted on my EggCamper. One is the old 5100 with three speeds (series resistance control) and the other is a 10 speed electronic control model. Both are very quiet.

I am particularly impressed with the low profile cover. It can be opened even in the rain and snow without requiring an additional cover. This compliments the overall smooth lines of the EggCamper.

If I ever have to replace either fan it will be with another MaxxFan.

As Donna says YMMV.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft / ft 04 Subaru Forester XS (extra slow)
Ditto, OW. The fans themselves seem almost identical, but the MaxxAir's cover seems more versatile. Lowered, it's streamlined for the road, and opened, it's more resistant to rain & snow intrusion.
John McMillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:13 AM   #11

Registry
Here's the question that I sent to Fantastic:

I'm confused by the power draw, shown on your web pages, between the model 6600r and the model 6000 (and lower models). According to the information on your web pages: The 6600r (14-speed) shows a draw of 0.2 - 1.9 amps. The 6000 (3-speed) shows a draw of 1.86 - 3.0 amps. Are they using a different motor? If so, how can the 6600r Upgrade Kit, which doesn't appear to include a replacement fan motor, change the overall current to 0.2 - 1.9 amp draw?

Here's the answer received:

The amp draw difference is power through the 3 speed switch vs power through a pc board. You have 3 speed switch up in your vent now where the power goes through, so when you up grade you will not have a 3 speed switch the power goes through the pc board in your hand held remote which draws less amperage.

This didn't make sense to me, so I've asked these follow-up questions:

I'm still confused. Let me ask two more questions.

1. Do the 6600r and 6000 use the same motor?

2. What is the current drawn by the motor for each model?

Waiting for answers. I suspect that the current draw for high speed will be 3.0 amps, regardless of the model.

Ron
Old 03-06-2012, 07:13 AM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm with you Ron. On high, it shouldn't matter whether the speed is semiconductor or resistively controlled.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #13

Pennsylvania
Registry
They have the same motor, I did the upgrade and you do not replace the motor. All FF have the same motor, just the control boards are different. Possibly on high the speeds are different thus the draw will be also.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #14

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I would assume that on the high speed setting, the speed control is really not involved any more. In all cases, no matter what speed control you use, at high speed the motor should just see a full time 12 VDC, (maybe 14 VDC if you are charging). Therefore the current draw should be the same. If it is less with the electronic controls, is the fan running slower?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #15

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
I installed a maxx-fan, and the only reason was I didnt have to install a separate rain cover, seeing how with the Scamp cant keep windows open when it rains, had a lot of condensation.......with maxx-fan and a couple of maxx-window vent seems to have eliminated that problem
Tom
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #16

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
I can't say enough about Fantastic company, they really stand behind their product. I had a camper that was in the 80's and the fantastic fan was dead. I called the company and they told me send the old one in and we will send you a brand new one. Can't beat that for customer service, great people.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #17

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
I don't have a clue about the current draw but, The Fantastic fan is guaranteed for life so, if your having problems call them and let them know whats wrong and they will tell you how to fix it and send the parts to boot.
Bill MacDermod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #18

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Re: Customer Service....

as Raz mentions - FF has reputable service on this forum and others, so I was nearly going to use one for that alone. however, I wanted the MaxxFan's ability to be open in the rain, so I went that route.

I'm not proud to say, I've had to use MaxxAir's customer service (a race against time to install, and didn't double check my connections when wiring. fried the control board. stupid x10!) Explained it to MaxxAir customer service when I called them the next a.m., got a knowing chuckle, and they expressed me another at no charge. SO, a plug for MA's customer service too!

Now back to the specs to help your decision making....
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #19

Pennsylvania
Registry
Today I just installed my fantastic fan upgrade kit with reverse and new slower speeds. Works like a charm and love the in/out feature as one of mine is over the bed. If anyone is interested in the stock exhaust only with thermostat, I will be selling 2 of them and 2 clear insulated fantastic vent covers.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have a problem with dust. What I think makes the Fastastic Fan... fantastic is the easily removable screen: FanTastic Vent - Product - Model 6600

Does the Max-Fan have the same feature?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote