Mini Split A/C Install in 13 Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2021, 11:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Mini Split A/C Install in 13 Scamp?

Has anyone done a Mini Split A/C installation on a Scamp 13 foot? If so.... please tell how you like it & what you did for install. Thank you very much.
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:10 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
IDK about a 13 but here is some info on a Mini-Split in a larger FB trailer than might be of interest to you...
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ler-86739.html
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ner-86661.html
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:36 AM   #3

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have had a mini-split since I rebuilt my 16' Scamp years age and I have been well pleased with it.
The heat pump is quieter than most if not all roof top units, but maybe not the the window units fitted in various places.
The smallest mini-split would be in the range of 9,000 BTU and that would be large for a 13' Scamp.
Lots cheaper would be a window unit, but where to install it is a question.
I bought my unit in a spring sale from Johnstone Supply at wholesale price. I also rebuilt my frame and extended it about 18" to install the heat pump and increase the stability and reduce the tongue loading.
Also there is the question on where to mount the inside air handler.
Would I do it again? The answer is yes I would for MY Scamp project, and if you are handy it would be one answer.
If you are handy a small window unit might be an answer also.
I installed the heat pump to eliminate the need for an separate heater, but the Scamp with really no insulation is not a 4 season camper no matter what.
The AC is powerful enough to handle hot weather, but the cold will creep up through the floor. (The heat also creeps through the walls as well, but not as noticable).
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:21 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
As attractive as they seem to be - we have one in our house - any A/C designed for houshold use may not be rugged enough to withstand the bumps and vibration of an over the road application. RV A/Cs would be.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:47 AM   #5

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I can't say that the mini-split I installed years ago will hold up, but it has been running to keep the Scamp dry and mold free for over 5 years and has been towed from the Gulf coast to Canada, from Florida to California and over 40 K miles with no problems.
So far the Mini-split has shown no weakness that I would consider to be worse than the roof top air conditioners.
Have you had one apart to see if it was poorly built?
I don't know how badly other trailers ride, but my Scamp rides fairly smooth and I foresee no problems due to it being installed it.
Of course a poor installation where the refrigerant lines are not made properly could give problems either fixed or mobile.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp