mirror add ons - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #1

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Wisconsin
mirror add ons

I have an unused (new) 13' Scamp and will pull it with a 2001 Ford Ranger. The mirrors are fine now, the trailer is no wider than the truck, do I need the trailer mirrors? I thought about a remote tv mirror for the back of the trailer but haven't heard too many good things about them. The wireless aren't too good on reception. Any ideas here??
yyyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Your mirrors need to give you a view about 200 yards back behind you on either side with no blind spots all the way to your side windows.

One way to check is in a large parking lot, park out in an empty part at one end and have a helper walk out behind you on one side and back on the other. Use the center of the two parking spots beside you to act as your "lanes".

The other thing is can you back in at a 90 degrees and see your back end in your mirror. Typical of backing into a camping spot at right angles to the road. If you can't see your trailer in the mirror your gonna hit something eventually.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
From my experience a 13' boler (aka scamp) work fine with a Ranger. Especially if you drop the gravel gaurd and can see the traffic behind you through the trailer.

If not, the aftermarket add on trailer mirrors help. Mostly on curbside.
YMMV
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:01 AM   #4

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We use large extendable mirrors with our Kodiak but the Chevy truck mirrors are all we need with our Egg Camper. I'd suggest trying with just the truck mirrors before buying extras. Driving around for a half hour in different conditions should let you know what you need.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
I have an add-on mirror which I have used on a Safarri van, a Dodge Dakota and on a Toyota Highlander. I use it on the drivers side and make it a bit sturdier by criss crossing the straps. Works well for me and I can see OK through the passenger side mirror without an add-on.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote