Modify all original or keep vintage? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2015, 02:14 PM   #21
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I'm with the make it your own group with one thought. Is there a trailer you would rather have? Would the unique condition of your present trailer bring enough from a collector to get you close to the trailer of your dreams? If there is a chance, put it on the market and see what happens. If it doesn't sell at the price you set, make it your own. No guilt. They had their chance. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:57 AM   #22

Name: Laura
Trailer: Casita (Formerly a UHaul)
Ohio
I own an '84 model and understand your "painful" decision. We made some modest changes but took great care to store all the original equipment. If you have the space for storage, maybe that would be a good option for you. We decided the need to make every small space useful outweighed the urge to worry about resale value. When we did, camping became so much more enjoyable.
CampingQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:49 AM   #23

Name: Anne
Trailer: Scamp
Ontario
Keeping it original can work just fine, but my feeling is... making it your own will certainly bring out it's 'personality' which, in the end, is really an extension of yours---
annej1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:02 AM   #24

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Trailers should reflect the personality and tastes of their owners. Ian's stunning 74 Boler is a prime example. So much nicer than the original. If you're happy with it as is, then go camping. If you find you only want to tweak around the edges, do that. If you want a one of a kind (you already are very close to that), then a full blown modernization may be suitable. These eggs aren't holy relics. Do what feels right to you.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
I've modified a number of units over the years, and my philosophy has been; our children are grown, there is just the two of us, units tend to be designed for 4 1/2 people, if I mod for 2 people I get more room bigger bed etc. We have never had any difficulty selling and usually the buyer was a couple.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Doug L
Old 05-27-2015, 10:01 PM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Well if your going to feel guilty you can sell your trailer and maybe get a $1000 premium. And then get a lesser condition trailer you feel no pain modifying and spend $1000 less and spend $2000 in repairs and another $2000 in customization to make you feel better. I have no qualms cutting anything I own. I can't take it with me when I am gone. Its mine while I am here and I don't worry about stuff for when I am gone. Its just stuff.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:26 PM   #27

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Original in the trailer world is not in the same class as cars, motorcycles, when you decide to put money into it I think it would be best to go modern & practical which is what most value.
Restoration to original in my mind would be a waste of money.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:26 PM   #28

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
There are many good reasons owners take an original trailer, and modify it...to make it more useful and comfortable for their needs!

And, their needs are most likely the needs of future would-be buyers.

Frankly, I sincerely doubt if there are many people who will place any extra value to a "original" trailer that was in a normal used condition. Most people would take a 3-way refreg over the original ice-box, etc.

However, if the trailer had never been used, and was in pristine condition inside and out..(read new)...it will have more value to a collector, or the trailer manufacture if they are still in business.

The only real test is to place a very high price on the trailer, and see if anyone is interested.

If a person will pay two or three times the normal market value for the trailer, you will know the trailer is in the hands of someone who will take good care of it!

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:47 PM   #29

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Who would that collector be? It seems that all of the fiberglass campers are variations on the theme of the first.
If it is worth bypassing improvements you want to keep it original then it is your choice.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:31 PM   #30

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Think of it this way?

When you bought your house did you keep it original? No you made it your own.

When you bought your car did you keep it original? No you added your own touches and accessories.

Why should it be any different with a fiberglass camper. Make it your own. If someone wants to put it in a museum then let them pay to have it restored after they buy it from you.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin