Modifying the 1/2 door Scamp Closet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2015, 12:39 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
Modifying the 1/2 door Scamp Closet

I just bought a 2001 16' #4 Scamp. When you first walk in, there's a closet on the left with a door half way up the fiberglass and a closet rod at the top. It seems I've seen some threads on this subject but can't find them. What have other people done? I really don't need a closet for hanging clothes. My thought is to remove the door, cut out the lower piece and put in shelves. Seem to remember someone making them out of PVC. What kind of door or restraining system to use? I'm open to any help here.
Thanks,
Steve
SteveZimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:28 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I agree that a clothes closet is pretty useless for most people and the space at the bottom is largely wasted.

I would recommend against making it one large opening, though. The closet is an important structural component that supports the roof and maintains the curve of the shell for proper door fit. If yours is like mine, there is a glassed-in stiffener spanning the front just under the cabinet door (you can feel a bulge in the fiberglass on the inside). I would not want to cut out that support.

Instead, I'd cut a second opening under the stiffener. If it were me, I'd leave the bottom compartment open, since the wheel well makes it an irregular space anyway, with a door to match the top. I'd put a divider between the upper and lower compartments. Then you can do whatever you want with the top. Some people like open shelves, others like drawers. I have plastic bins in mine- easy, lightweight, no permanent attachments, contents visible, and the lip keeps everything in place. I still have the original door.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Closet Mod 5.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	88539
(I got these bins at Big Lots, and they fit the Scamp closet really well.)
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:41 PM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Hi Steve. You will find lots of related discussion in past threads. Simply search by clicking on the "Search" button above, go to the bottom of the drop-down menu to the "Google Search", insert the words "closet shelves" and you will get over 700 "hits".

Following is my previous 2-cents worth: "I, too, frankly thought the wheel-well space was a waste of potential storage area until I found it is a great place to put a large net bag which I use as a hamper for soiled clothing and a space for my pie iron (with a black bag as cover) and my tablecloths. The shelving unit my DH built has a bottom shelf which is removable with a finger hole." Sorry, I cannot find the photo of the shelves at the moment.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:28 AM   #4

Name: AyoLane
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
The camper I have has some good use of space. the previous owner split the closet in upper and lower portions. the upper area has a microwave installed in it with storage space to spare, the lower area has a small AC unit installed with a trap door on the outside for the vent open when in use.
AyoLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #5

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Here's a pic of what I did with our Scamp closet.

I cut it down to make room for a queen size bed and installed two shelves inside. The top shelf houses our stereo system and various device chargers, which is why I elected to put a grill in the door at that level. It's wired with a 110v and a 12v outlet. The other shelf is where we park our bath house tote tubs.

Works for us.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0641.jpg  
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:08 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
The nice thing about a closet door is that it keeps things inside the closet while travelling.. Nothing 'jumps out the opening' with that door latched shut
I left my closet door in place, and still put shelves into the closet.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:21 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Modifying the 1/2 door Scamp Closet

I agree, Pam. Not sure if I made that clear, but the door is still there on mine, too. In addition to containing and hiding the contents of the closet, the door is a good place to mount things like a mirror, bins or pockets for small items,...

When I got my trailer the closet door had a tendency to pop open, even with nothing inside. I finally determined the hardware was installed just a bit off at the factory. I flipped the door upside down and reinstalled the latch more carefully, and Bingo!... stays closed.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:22 AM   #8

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_N_Janna View Post
Here's a pic of what I did with our Scamp closet.

I cut it down to make room for a queen size bed and installed two shelves inside. The top shelf houses our stereo system and various device chargers, which is why I elected to put a grill in the door at that level. It's wired with a 110v and a 12v outlet. The other shelf is where we park our bath house tote tubs.

Works for us.

Steve
Beautifully done and what a great idea to get a bigger bed in there!
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:42 AM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZimmerman View Post
I just bought a 2001 16' #4 Scamp. When you first walk in, there's a closet on the left with a door half way up the fiberglass and a closet rod at the top. It seems I've seen some threads on this subject but can't find them. What have other people done? I really don't need a closet for hanging clothes. My thought is to remove the door, cut out the lower piece and put in shelves. Seem to remember someone making them out of PVC. What kind of door or restraining system to use? I'm open to any help here.
Thanks,
Steve
I kept the top half for hanging jackets and just put a wire rack on the bottom of the hanging section so I can use it for storing other items as well. Then I ordered from Scamp a door for the bottom half and cut out the fiberglass. I used wire shelving turned upside down so the lip stops items from hitting the door when traveling - have never had the bottom door pop open as a result. I made mine so they are movable - glad I did as I changed my mine after a few trips as to what I was going to put on the shelves and was able to adjust them to fit. Using the wire shelving also helped to maximize the usable space.

I mounted the rails that hold the shelves up using screws and put snap caps over them (same as on the outside the trailer) on the 4 that were visible by the door - the other side is hidden under the sink so no one sees them.
Attached Thumbnails
lower closet open small.JPG   lower closest door small.jpg  

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:51 AM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I agree, Pam. Not sure if I made that clear, but the door is still there on mine, too. In addition to containing and hiding the contents of the closet, the door is a good place to mount things like a mirror, bins or pockets for small items,...
I agree. I added a pocket organizer. It is a bit on the heavy side though so I did need to add a better way of securing the door when traveling than the standard latch scamp supplies.
Attached Thumbnails
closet org small.JPG  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:27 PM   #11

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1442348691.615995.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	88734
I stole Carol's pocket organizer idea from her last year. ☺️but I keep it relatively light during travel, and then put my doo dads in it once set up. Mine has two c hooks at top. From walmart, and it came with four pockets do I cut off the last one and sewed edges back together. Baby section at Wally.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:04 PM   #12

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Scamp Frt Closet

Steve,
We don't hang clothes like you.

I cut the front closet basically all the way down to the floor below the existing bottom door. In the bottom of the closet I installed in air conditioner that vents through the floor.

Above the air conditioner compartment I made a separate space and where we keep two laundry bags. Above the AC space I moved the lower door up cutting some fiberglass on the top. We have shelved the remainder of the closet for food, toaster and coffee pot. We keep our big utensils on the back of the upper door.

We have replaced the original doors with birch faced plywood and added another door for the hamper. (Actually we replaced all the doors and drawers with birch faced plywood, brighter and lighter.}

You'll find pictures of the closet from mid to the end of the attached thread.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...6-a-46387.html

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:17 PM   #13

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1983 Burro
Missouri
I don't have the Scamp, but a Burro, and in my closet (using the pole already there) the previous owner got one of those closet organizer divider things that just hang like a hanger would. There are 5 soft-sided compartments with a piece of cardboard stuff for a solid bottom. If it's used for bedding or toiletries or other lightweight items, this works great and is inexpensive and removable if you want to change to something else. It stops just shy of the wheel-well area. I do like those stackable plastic ins that someone else posted, too. Might measure u space and look for some. Good luck
Kathy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:33 PM   #14

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_N_Janna View Post
Here's a pic of what I did with our Scamp closet. I cut it down to make room for a queen size bed and installed two shelves inside. The top shelf houses our stereo system and various device chargers, which is why I elected to put a grill in the door at that level. It's wired with a 110v and a 12v outlet. The other shelf is where we park our bath house tote tubs. Works for us. Steve
Steve, I assume you have a Deluxe? It might be easier to start with wood cabinets in making mods. Any more pics of your Queen bed? Maybe start another thread?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp