Mods over the winter - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2008, 07:31 PM   #61

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Some progress finally! Perhaps not really a modification rather a start at the restoration!

I got the idea to try the Marine Epoxy instead of the fiberglass from FGRV here and it worked rather well I think.
Attached Thumbnails
2008_0210Image0017.JPG   2008_0210Image0027.JPG  

2008_0210Image0029.JPG  
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #62

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Before and after. One coat of primer on the bottom so far.
Attached Thumbnails
2008_0210Image0024.JPG   2008_0210Image0028.JPG  

CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:19 AM   #63

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Hi Bonnie. Sorry for the slow reply. I used a 20"x72"x3/4" pine project board from Home Depot, cut and ripped to size. then fastened from below.

Thanxs! Cory

Hey Charlene. Thank you, thank you! Sorry 'bout the slow reply.Yup, one thing lacking in a Boler...Storage/Shelf space. Decided not to re-install the stove for that reason. Will use a portable propane stove. Gives me the flexibility to cook indoors or out without the weight of two stoves.
Thanx! Cory

Hi Karalyn.

Thanx! Cory
cjlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:50 PM   #64

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
...my OH MY!!!!
That is absolutely stunning!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:20 PM   #65

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Hey-hey there Doug.

Thanx!
cjlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #66

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
If my memory serves me right I received some criticism from a fellow fiberglasser some time back. He didn't like my "frontal area" and my "profile" apparently wasn't much better.

On reflection I chose to interpret this as referring to my trailer, not my body, so that was something I would be able to tweak a bit.

Therefore the I replaced the old vent and cover with a MaxxFan (model 5500). Several advantages, one of which is a more streamlined contour. Considering the slim margin between the tow limit on the Ody and the actual towed weight it might help a smidgen, particularly at over 60mph. The old cover was a bit of unnecessary drag. Boat anchor, actually.
Attached Thumbnails
Old_vent__resized.jpg   MaxxFan_profile__resized_edited_1.jpg  

Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:14 PM   #67

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I'm in the process of installing the new front and rear plexi windows with the gasket and lockstrip right now. So far I've removed the old rear window and the gasket was so brittle it broke instead of peeled away. Cleaned up the shell around the window which was a mess under the old gasket. Stretched and reglued the "hide" on the interior around the window, painted it all the way out to the opening and installed the new gasket. Now I'm ready for the fun part, installing the window in the new gasket and then the lockstrip. I'll take photos from here and keep you posted.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:56 AM   #68

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
I'm in the process of installing the new front and rear plexi windows with the gasket and lockstrip right now. So far I've removed the old rear window and the gasket was so brittle it broke instead of peeled away. Cleaned up the shell around the window which was a mess under the old gasket. Stretched and reglued the "hide" on the interior around the window, painted it all the way out to the opening and installed the new gasket. Now I'm ready for the fun part, installing the window in the new gasket and then the lockstrip. I'll take photos from here and keep you posted.
I'd love to know how difficult this turns out to be. I've read horror stories. I'd like to replace both my front and rear windows with sliders. By the way, this is my first post. I just dragged home a 76 13' Scamp yesterday. Its pretty cherry but I'm not one to leave things "as is". I'm looking to re-upholster, tile, re-taping the insulating liner, repaint exterior, flip the axle, Make new cabinet doors and run LED though-out. Anyway....good luck with the windows!
Jonathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:48 PM   #69

Thanks Jonathan and welcome. Congrats on your new to you Scamp.
Done a complete gut and redo on ours over the last year and now I'm focusing on outside issues.
Did most of the mods you are looking at, so happy to help if you have any questions over the course of your project.
Will post the window progress as I move forward.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:50 PM   #70

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
I'd love to know how difficult this turns out to be. I've read horror stories. I'd like to replace both my front and rear windows with sliders. By the way, this is my first post. I just dragged home a 76 13' Scamp yesterday. Its pretty cherry but I'm not one to leave things "as is". I'm looking to re-upholster, tile, re-taping the insulating liner, repaint exterior, flip the axle, Make new cabinet doors and run LED though-out. Anyway....good luck with the windows!
I took the front window out of a 79 Scamp that I had last summer and like you I was dreading putting it back.
I used the old gasket and lock strip and it was not difficult at all, just messy. I used copius amounts of Armour all to lube the lock strip and it went right in with the aid of a screw driver.
I was surprised as I heard the same horror storys.
Hope this helps,
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:58 PM   #71

Quote:
I took the front window out of a 79 Scamp that I had last summer and like you I was dreading putting it back.
I used the old gasket and lock strip and it was not difficult at all, just messy. I used copius amounts of Armour all to lube the lock strip and it went right in with the aid of a screw driver.
I was surprised as I heard the same horror storys.
Hope this helps,
John
Thanks John. It helps for encouraging me to go out there this weekend and give it a try.
I did buy a lockstrip tool so hopefully that will make it easier. I hear the tough part is getting the plexi into the gasket. I did one a long time ago on a kit car and I don't remember it being too bad though.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:07 PM   #72

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I replaced the converter and cleaned up the wiring in the area near the converter. See http://scamp.n0kfb.org/ for details.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:23 PM   #73

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Some time ago I made an Emergency Flasher Box. Mine has 3 switches:
  1. Flashes the Brake Lights
  2. Lights the Running Lights
  3. Lights the Back-up Lights
It also has a capped 12 Volt outlet.

Recently I had difficulty digging it out of a storage cubby. I got to pondering a better place to keep it, while standing back and staring at the trailer... and thought, "I wish it were always handy and didn't need to be searched for." I looked at the length of the pigtail that normally plugs into the back of the tow vehicle...

I could build it into the propane tank cover. My tank cover sits away from the front of the trailer. Normally, I just coil up the pigtail around the tongue jack. Now I can feed the pigtail under the tanks and plug it into the back of the cover.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1_unplugged.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	11801

I can reach the 3 switches from the top, and the 12 volt outlet is protected.

Name:	3_back_of_cover.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	11803

The guts of the thing takes up very little space in the area between the 2 tanks.

Name:	4_inside_cover.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	11804
Attached Thumbnails
2_plugged_in.jpg  
Old 03-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #74

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I am not so sure that having switches, no matter how well insulated, and even located near the top of the enclosure, inside an area where a propane leak could be held captive is a wise idea.

1 spark.
Goodbye.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:15 PM   #75

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
I am not so sure that having switches,....inside an area where a propane leak could be held captive is a wise idea.

1 spark.
Goodbye.
Well thats one way to detect if you have a gas leak
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:54 PM   #76

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Here's my latest Mod. I built and installed a small shelf in the back streetside corner between the side and rear windows. I attached it to the window frame and also brought a brace up from the bed cabinet to the underside of the shelf to stabilize it to stop any tilt. I attached a small shelf underneath for the DVD/Satellite boxes. Now that my new TV has arrived I'm thinking about making the shelf about 1 1/2 inches deeper. This will allow me more depth side to side so the lower shelf can accommodate both components. Initially I thought I'd just swap them out. Also if I put a small clete on the front edge and velco on the bottoms of the components, I can leave them in place. The TV will reside on the bed when traveling.
Attached Thumbnails
109_4140.JPG   109_4153.JPG  

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #77

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
that's really nice looking. how do you plan to enlarge it?
Old 03-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #78

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I attached it to the window frame and also brought a brace up from the bed cabinet to the underside of the shelf to stabilize it to stop any tilt.
Looks good, can you post a picture of the attachments to the window frame and the brace? The curtains are in the way....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #79

I was just thinking about bringing it out of the wall a little further which makes the shelf deeper and also allows me to make the shelf underneath wider. The components will sit side by side.

With the current shelf I'm limited on width underneath because of the curature in the corner. As you gain depth on top you also gain depth near the windows.

I think I'll play with the existing setup for awhile and then decide if I really want to enlarge it or not.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 03-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #80

Now that the TV has it's new space in the trailer I'll show you my other Mod.

I used to have a folding table over the couch under which the TV was stored or on top when in use.

I replaced the folding table by building a permanent table which fills in the entire corner. You will notice a cut out area on the right. That's because my solar panel is stored against the front wall of the trailer between it and the couch cushion, hidden by pillows. I worried that without the cutout I wouldn't be able to get the solar panel in place. As it turns out I didn't need the cut out, oh well.

I now have a stable place to use the Microwave and a place underneath to store it. Here's a couple of pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
109_4121.JPG   109_4155.JPG  

109_4159.JPG  
2019 Ram Longhorn