Mods to accommodate skis, kayaks, etc. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #1

Name: Eric
Trailer: In the market
Kentucky
Mods to accommodate skis, kayaks, etc.

I'm still only in the market for a figerglass camper, but I thought of something very important to me....

I'd like to be able to store several sets of snow skis/boards and maybe even bicycles during my traveling. I'm hoping to even utilize standard equipment (like hitch mount accessories).

Has anyone modified a fiberglass trailer to hold things like skis, bikes, kayaks, etc.? I'd like to see how much can fit.

I can't seem to make everything fit after adding people several people to the car.

I was hoping to see any mods others have made to accommodate any similar paraphernalia.
Shock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:52 PM   #2

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
We have a Trillium 13'.

We sometimes carry a canoe and/or kayak on the tow vehicle if we aren't going very far. Don't like the amount of gas it takes for long trips! Paddles etc inside on the bed. The paddles, lifejackets etc travel on the back bed and get tossed under the trailer at the campsite.

On longer trips we use an inflatable double kayak that travels in the back of our Element.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
If you're looking at new builds, try Lil Snoozy with the outdoor storage under the queen bed, and the rear door entry, long items could be secured inside during travels. I believe that there were pictures of someone's with bicycles stored inside.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:41 PM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
The only things I've seen is canoes or kayaks on the TV roof, haven't seen one on the trailer roof. I've carried bikes in the truck bed and a canoe on the TV rack without issue and still room and capacity for 4-5 in the cab.
Escapes are available with receivers for bike racks on the back, don't know about the rest of the manufacturers nor do I know what the capacity of the receiver is but you could drop them an email.
There are also "dual hitch adapters" available. May be able to use the lower for the trailer and the upper for a bike rack or whatever.

An awful lot of your options are dependent on what your TV is, which you didn't provide.

Here's a thread where the OP mounted kayaks on the roof of his trailer. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...top-46912.html
Old 02-13-2014, 11:54 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I had this bright idea of carrying my canoe on top of my tent trailer. Did that once. Realized that I had to take the canoe off to raise the roof, put it on my tow to take it to the put in, since it wasn't really convenient to back the trailer and canoe to the launch site before setting up camp.
Not saying there isn't a good idea out there. Just that I didn't have one.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:00 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Here is one members solution. It's a Scamp fifth wheel towed by a Nissan Titan. I have no idea how he gets the kayaks in. If you search Jared J and kayak there might be more pictures. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-4015484824.jpg  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:54 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Bike racks has been a previous lengthy and somewhat heated discussion, with several solutions. We carry 2 kayaks on top of the car, bikes either on front or rear of trailer, depending which camper we are using. One time we managed to fit 2 kayaks inside our old pop-up, and two on top.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
An awful lot of your options are dependent on what your TV is, which you didn't provide.
I agree.

Seeing as how the OP does not have a trailer yet, searching for one that would allow a rear window mod to allow a hatch window might let them store the kayaks inside the trailer. Length dependant of course.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:57 AM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If you use the search function on this forum - use the bottom google search option you will find a number of threads on bike carrying options as well as kayaks.

The first year I had my Scamp I carried two bikes inside it - it was fine except if I want to stop and make a quick lunch while on the road - couldn't open the fridge. Was reluctant to put them on the rear as I have seen way to many bikes over the years laying out on the highway having come detached either with or without the rack having come off of bouncing trailers. Also aware of the sometimes not so nice dynamics of adding the extra weigh to the extreme year of the trailer on some set ups. I eventually purchased a roof mount rack of the Subaru Outback I was towing with. It worked well as at the same time I changed out the bikes from heavy mountain bikes to lighter road type bikes. With the Outback skis are pretty simple - drop down the shorter side of the rear seats and pop them in or put them in a Thule box on the roof. Kayaks also fit nicely on the roof without interfering with the trailer.

Changed tow vehicles this winter and currently saving my pennies to have a removable bike rack installed on the fiberglass tonneau cover on the back of the truck for the bikes. Skis can go in the truck bed or on the floor of the trailer. Haven't figured out the Kayaks storage yet.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
These are modular from LLbean. Sit on top or Sit in
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...per-61281.html
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #11

Trailer: 2003 13 ft Scamp
Accommodate

We have a 2" receiver on 13' Scamp but will not put our bikes on it. Too much bouncing. Have rooftop rack on 2010 Forester and can carry a canoe and two bikes. Got rid of heavy bikes and got light weight hybrids. They are safer on top then on rear of trailer. Could use receiver for storage of misc. gear, ie. live jackets, helmets, etc. snow skies in trailer. Wondering where you are going to need snow skies, kayak and bikes....good luck.
russelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:03 PM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
These are modular from LLbean. Sit on top or Sit in
I like the sit in
Models and pricing are here:
Recreational: Paddling | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

But I have to admit the K100 follows your path like a train:
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #13

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Here is one on an Escape trailer, not the greatest picture.
Attached Images

kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #14

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

Changed tow vehicles this winter and currently saving my pennies to have a removable bike rack installed on the fiberglass tonneau cover on the back of the truck for the bikes. Skis can go in the truck bed or on the floor of the trailer. Haven't figured out the Kayaks storage yet.
What if you bought a cap for the pickup, put bikes in it, rack on top for kayaks. I took two old Thule bike roof racks, the kind that have an arm that flips up and clamps on the front down tube of the bike, bolted them to a couple 2 X 4's, set it in the back of my pickup, and the bikes ride upright. The current 2 bike rack on the rear of our Uhaul is made from Thule and Swagman parts, plus steel channel, and is very solid, no bounce. I have seen rear racks that were poorly made break off.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Here is a thread called Bike Rack on 13' Scamp with Pictures of a couple of different options.

Another thread called Kayak Racks also has photos of a few set ups.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #16

Name: Jim
Trailer: 1998 14' Burro WB
Illinois
As a long time canoeist and kayaker, plus the owner of an outdoor shop when people talk to us about putting their boats on top of the trailer we discourage it. My wife and I camp and we found regardless of where we went we would set up camp and then want to go kayaking. We were faced with how to get the boats to the landing. Sometime that was a distance away. It is way more convenient to have the boats on top of the TV, drop the trailer, set up camp, and then go kayaking. Bikes and skis were never an issue as most of the time we left from our campsite. The kayaks were a different story. We are really glad we went the route of the TV. We own a couple 14' roto kayaks and 17' FG kayaks.