Mold issues . . . - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-24-2020, 11:21 AM   #1

Name: Lesley
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Mold issues . . .

I don't have my trailer yet but I'm trying to do a lot of reading up so I'm as prepared as possible and know what to expect, how to avoid issues. I'm getting a Scamp 13 and will probably be leaving it in "bed mode" all the time. How do you avoid condensation under the mattress? The Tab teardrop has the Froli system which lifts the mattress off the base for air flow. I also saw an install video and they are just laid out, no nailing or gluing needed. Has anyone used these? What do you do to avoid mold? Thanks in advance for any input!

shrimpscampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:18 PM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I saw the Froli on a Class B I looked at recently. Seemed simple enough if you can get the right size. That said, I can't remember seeing any discussion of mold under the mattress being an issue.

ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:31 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I have definitely heard it can be. Not in my region, so I canít offer any personal recommendations, but I have heard the Froli mentioned in other discussions. Spendy, but it beats mold remediation.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:57 PM   #4

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
I use the hypervent mesh stuff under the bed and dinette cushions.

I don't know about in a Scamp, but in our Escape I have problems with condensation when it's cold and damp and rainy outside (gee, like much of the camping I do in the Pacific NW ) collecting along the walls. I carry extra towels to wipe it down, as well as dehumidifiers running all the time.

I've put hypervent mesh along the wall side of the bed and dinette to at least keep it from getting on the fabric and such.

And yes, I do run the roof fan and the vent while cooking. Still get the condensation. Unfortunately, I have to keep breathing.

totally different - but here's a hint for under dinettes and beds. I got some yoga mats off Amazon and cut them to fit underneath. It really helped stop the cold air from coming up from the storage spaces underneath. I have them under the hypervent mesh. I did some dry camping a week apart in the same weather conditions and I noticed the bed was warmer after adding the yoga mats. Yay!

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:12 AM   #5

Name: Justus
Trailer: Hymer Touring GT
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Here's a video of a full timer discussing a "cheaper hypervent": . I enjoy his intros and yarn-spinning but the relevant portion starts at about 1:25.

And another one discussing ventilation in general: .
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:20 AM   #6

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Hard to watch....
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:54 PM   #7

Name: Mike & Cathy
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post

I don't know about in a Scamp, but in our Escape I have problems with condensation when it's cold and damp and rainy outside (gee, like much of the camping I do in the Pacific NW ) collecting along the walls. I carry extra towels to wipe it down, as well as dehumidifiers running all the time.

I've put hypervent mesh along the wall side of the bed and dinette to at least keep it from getting on the fabric and such.

And yes, I do run the roof fan and the vent while cooking. Still get the condensation. Unfortunately, I have to keep breathing.

totally different - but here's a hint for under dinettes and beds. I got some yoga mats off Amazon and cut them to fit underneath. It really helped stop the cold air from coming up from the storage spaces underneath. I have them under the hypervent mesh. I did some dry camping a week apart in the same weather conditions and I noticed the bed was warmer after adding the yoga mats. Yay!
We picked up our Escape at the end of January and noticed condensation around the mattress and dinette cushions a short time later when we were in Portland. The temps were in the low 30s at the time. We immediately purchased and installed a solid (not just on the top, but all around) vinyl mattress cover. We also read on the forums that others had used Reflectix and foam to help provide insulation.
We put two layers of 4- ft wide Reflectix under the mattress and dinette cushions and a roll of 6-in wide foam between the Reflectix and the mattress edge. We read that someone had used pool noodles behind the dinette back cushions. We found that that also helped. Since we added these items (plus using the Maxx fan more) we haven't had any further issues with condensation. The 4-ft x 25 ft roll of Reflectix was less than $50 at Lowes.
IMJ in FLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:39 PM   #8

Name: Barb
Trailer: Escape 19
Newfoundland
condensation

I suggest buying a mattress a bit smaller than the space so there is airflow around the edges. I also put a Davis Instruments Air Dryer in the storage area under the bed and I have no mildew despite living in my Escape on Vancouver Island for 3 winters. I also keep the back window open a bit all the time, with the fan on. And I took the door off the storage area under the dinette bench because the first winter my shoes that were stored in there got moldy. Now it's nice and dry in that space.
Barb Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:54 PM   #9

Name: D
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Illinois
Condensation control.

We installed a 30" section of electric (110v) baseboard heater under the bed. When parked this is set at freeze protection mode. Keeps the condensation down nicely. Of course only applicable when shore power is available. Makes for a nice warm bed and have noticed that bugs do not tend to overwinter in the Scamp. D.

Dennis McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote