Mount for 1 gal propane tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2015, 07:58 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Mount for 1 gal propane tank

Much as we love our Scamp, our point in camping is to maximize time out of doors. Weather permitting we generally cook and dine outside the Scamp. We find the small, one gallon, propane tanks to be the just the right compromise between the one pound coleman throw-away cylinders and the large 5 gallon tanks. But then the question was how to safely transport and I wasn't comfortable having the tank in either the tow or the scamp. particularly in hot weather

I rigged up this platform and mounting system. Being more versed (and tooled) in woodworking than metal, the base is a scrap of 3/4" marine plywood bolted to the angle-iron stiffeners on the tongue. Turnbuckles anchored to the trailer frame with stainless cable loops pull the tank down tight. The turnbuckles make it moderately easy to take the tank on and off though I'm still pondering a more quick release alternative.
Attached Thumbnails
prop1.JPG   prop2.JPG  

prop3.JPG  
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:12 AM   #2

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Where can you get the tank swapped for a full one? I would do this if it were easily exchanged like the 5 gal tanks at Walmart or Lowe's etc.
I don't think that there are readily available swap outs for these.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:24 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I, for one, can't see why the LP tank exchange idea is attractive for RV'ers. For BBQ'ers I can understand, but as a group we (meaning FGRV'ers) are more attuned to finding places to have out tanks refilled, usually at 1/2 to 1/4th the price of a swap out.

FWIW: I also have a 1 gallon tank and it would be very difficult to get it filled on the road simply because it does not have the newer OPD valve and most LP places will not fill them per regulations. Fortunately, my RV dealer has vision problems and apparently can't see the valve when filling (LOL)

There is a nice 2.5 gallon tank available and I installed one on the tent trailer I rebuilt for my son to conserve space and reduce weight on the tongue after adding a battery behind the tank position. Unfortunately they are very, very expensive when compared to larger tanks.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:21 AM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
nice job...where did you get the tank?
Old 07-17-2015, 09:30 AM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Amazon - just search the site for 1 gallon propane tank. I purchased the Worthington brand but I think there are others. I think Lowes also carries them but I'm not near a store. Ridiculously expensive at ~$52 but in the end I went for it.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:35 AM   #6

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I've never considered the exchange program. It's not that hard to stop someplace and get my tank filled. I've heard those prefilled exchange tanks are not completely filled making them even more expensive.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:39 AM   #7

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDavidG View Post
Amazon - just search the site for 1 gallon propane tank. I purchased the Worthington brand but I think there are others. I think Lowes also carries them but I'm not near a store. Ridiculously expensive at ~$52 but in the end I went for it.
I need a new 1 gal. tank and $52 seems to be the price everywhere they are stocked. I just bought a 5 gal. tank at Costco for $27. Sometimes less costs more !!
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:32 AM   #8

$52 is almost cheep.... The 2.5 gallon one is even more, about $75.

I bought my 1 gallon tank at a yard sale, $4

Old 07-17-2015, 11:57 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I have the same reservations about a tank in the back of the Flex. I like your solution and I wish I could do it, but with two 20# tanks I don't have room for the 5 pounder (I'm more inclined to refer to them by weight of the propane) and I don't want to give up the two primary tanks. Maybe I can hose clamp it to the vertical post. Maybe a modest base placed over the post and down low against the frame to carry the load and a pair of hose clamps to stabilize the tank.

Good post. Got me thinking about this again.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0057b.jpg  
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:10 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Here's a bracket for the tank we're talking about:
Amazon.com: Power Tank BKT-2285 Propane Power Bracket for 8" diamater Propane bottle: Automotive

Only ~$100. I believe I'll be looking through my marine ply off-cuts...
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:29 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I think I'll stick with a single 20 lb tank and .9lb disposables. Penciling out. $50.00 for the tank, $100 for the mount. Then there's the hose's and regulators. Filling the tank $3.00 per gallon. Cost of disposables $3.00 each. For the $200+ cost of the set up I can buy 66 disposables, usage rate about 2 per year. That would 33 yeas worth of disposables. I don't think I'll make 33 years from now, at least not camping, I'll be 106 at that point.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:37 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I use a 10lb tank for BBQ and carry it in a box in the trailer. It's last in and first out since it sits in the aisle.
Had a 5lb tank vent on me once. It was in the back of the Subaru wagon on a hot day. Heat and altitude set it off. Luckily, I wasn't smoking ( since quit ).
Old 07-17-2015, 01:56 PM   #13

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
The 11 pounders,2.6 gal, are $56.97 through Home Depot with store delivery. I went down from a 20 lb tank to the 11 to save tongue weight since we use it primarily to run the refrigerator so don't use that much; 1.7 lb on our last 20 day outing.

When you think about it, the collar, base and valve are all the same. The difference is in the material for the tank and somewhat more welding. The reason for the price differential is primarily that the demand is so much higher for the 20 pounders, and therefore more competition for that market, which keeps the price down.

When is a deal not a deal? When you buy something you really don't need because it is cheaper.

As far as swapping tanks, you may recall a thread not long ago about the 'full' swap tanks only have 15 or 16 lbs in them. Where is the deal there?

Next time you swap tanks, weigh the tank when you get home. Deduct the tare weight, the number behind 'TW' on the collar, and you will see what you actually bought. You may have only bought 4 lb more than my 11 lb tank. Convenience is generally not cheap.

I now use my 20 lb tank to boil crawfish and render beeswax.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:01 PM   #14

Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Had a 5lb tank vent on me once. It was in the back of the Subaru wagon on a hot day. Heat and altitude set it off. Luckily, I wasn't smoking ( since quit ).
Yikes!!

Several years ago, we had to bug out to Arkansas for a hurricane. When we could get back in we knew it would be hard to get gas for our generator. I bought 6 five gallon gas cans, filled 'em up and secured them the roof of our SUV for the trip home. Everyone else rode in the other vehicle, just in case.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:57 PM   #15

2.6 gallon LP Tanks

[QUOTE=The Minimalist;535310]The 11 pounders,2.6 gal, are $56.97 through Home Depot with store delivery.
----------------------------------------------------------

I paid $73.85, tax included for a new 2.5 gallon shorty tank, that included purging and first time filling.

For those that don't know, there is a purging process that has to be followed with new tanks, otherwise you will never get them properly filled.

Local LP outlet charges $10 to purge a new tank. <40 lbs.

Also, when swapping tanks there is a good chance, unless you have two tanks and run them dry every time, that you will be giving them back LP in your tank.

Speaking of LP Stations.... In Prescott, AZ, the COSTCO store has an LP filling station, only one I have seen in a COSTCO, super cheap as well

Old 07-17-2015, 03:27 PM   #16

Louisiana
Registry
Watched them purge and fill the first time. No charge for the purge. Some do, some don't.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:25 PM   #17

Louisiana
Registry
WDavidG: More to the point, you have a very clean installation. Have you put lock nuts on the turnbuckles? Be careful about quick release. There may be others who would want to use your feature too.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:33 PM   #18

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I've never heard of propane tanks being referred to in gallons only by weight.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:21 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post

A newer valved 20Lb tank holds less than 5 gallons because of safety concerns. I was told they only can be filled to around 80% now. I've heard them referred too by either name forever. When you have them filled it shows the gallons, not the pounds. No matter what you want to call it, I don't want to run out....I like cold beer
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:32 AM   #20

LP Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
In the U.S. you almost always buy LP by the gallon, hence the common interchange of the two measurements.

Tags
propane