Mounting a scooter rack - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2014, 09:10 AM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: Scamp 13ft
Kentucky
Mounting a scooter rack

Hello,

I would like advise on my plans to mount a hitch for my 2 wheeled scooter rack on my 13ft Scamp.

I'm planning on reinforcing the rear of the frame to handle the additional weight.

( about 340lbs ). I'm sure the manufacture wouldn't recommend it. Any ideas or other options ? Thanks Mark
Mark Ulanowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
No way!

Don't do it! Two reasons: (1) you'd really need to upgrade the whole frame and axle, not just the rear, and even if you did all that, (2) too much weight at the back will cause excessive and dangerous sway.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:47 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Ditto on Jon's post... DON'T DO IT

It's not safe and the frame was never meant to support that kind of weight back there.

And, if anyone out there does recommend it, I have the name of a good Psychiatrist they should talk to about having delusional ideas.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Unless you are planning on rebuilding the entire frame to specs far higher than what is currently on your trailer and planning on redoing the inside of the trailer so you have lots of storage up ahead of the axle and plan to fill them up with lots of heavy stuff there is no way I would put 340lbs on the back end of a Scamp...... I can tell you that just by adding a bike hitch - with no rack or bike on it that it dramatically changed the towing stability on my Scamp and due to the limited storage available ahead of the axle its created an issue for me in the lightest of side winds.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #5

Arizona
Registry
Think pick-up truck, if you really want the scooter. Scooter in the truck, trailer on the back, everybody's happy!
Old 05-26-2014, 10:43 AM   #6

Yep, 340 lbs on he back and 340 lbs up front for balance = Overloaded suspension, and tires....

Thanks for asking before you took this adventure.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #7

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ulanowicz View Post
( about 340lbs )
Just in case you haven't gotten the message yet:

That's more weight than many of our tow vehicles can manage on the rear; and I'm pretty sure that no 13 ft. fiberglass trailer could carry it. For long.

Also:
Dunno what kind of "scooter rack" you're talkin' about, but as with bike racks, most come with instructions stating that they are NOT for use on trailers of any kind. here's one example
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
When we had our Casita, I added a receiver to haul my Segway. At just over 100 pounds it made the tongue too light. I moved the Segway to the back of the pickup and put two bikes back there. At the Bandon weigh in my tongue weight was exactly 10% of my total weight. The challenge then was getting the Segway unloaded without unhitching.

A van with the center row of seats removed would be ideal if you can afford it.

2009 Casita FD - Sold
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #9

Name: Mark
Trailer: Scamp 13ft
Kentucky
Thanks for the feedback. I will not attempt mounting a scooter rack. Thanks again.
Mark Ulanowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ulanowicz View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I will not attempt mounting a scooter rack. Thanks again.
Everyone just wants you to be safe Mark. But just so you know, you're not the first one that has wanted to do it.

I hope you find a good safe solution that you are happy with.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #11

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
My Trillium 1300 had extensive frame reinforcement/modification plus interior modification( 2 front jacks, heavy duty/reinforced front upper bunk, front pipe at rock guard to carry poles and ropes) ) With the tongue weight is b/t 140-160 pounds) , a rear bike rack with relocation of spare wheel under-neath frame, closed to axle...I still load bicycles INSIDE the trailer when on the move. During my camping trips, the rear bike hitch had never been used for stability...Just my input-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG490.jpg  
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #12

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
...During my research prior to my Trillium 1300 frame modification, I found out in various campers(both F.G and sticky 16 footers...) the original design is not good enough. The spare wheel which is located at rear bumper will be subject of bouncing, causing crack welds, some is visible, some is bad enough to make rear bumper dis-integrated from frame, in particularly on the long trip with bumpy roads. That is just ...THE SPARE WHEEL ON REAR BUMPER ALONE, not mention about bikes and stability....Just my thought.
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #13

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
You might look into flipping the idea around. If the scooter rack could be mounted with a hitch extension - the rack would go on the back of the tow vehicle and then the trailer would get hitched on the back of that. Sorta like the arrangement in the link:

60x20" Folding Cargo Carrier Basket Hitch Tow Receiver | eBay
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:03 PM   #14

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Ooo... Here's one (scroll down to 1000lb motorcycle carrier and rack)
KT Motorsports 1-877-913-7742 - Motorcycle Carriers & Ramps

Here's another. Person has a Honda Helix on the rack and is pulling a boat (scroll down about 1/4 thru the page):
RVing: The USA is our BIG Backyard: Campground Review- Lake Emily, Florence County, WI - Father's Day fishing 2009
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:03 PM   #15

I hereby nominate the eBay item linked to in post #13 (Lucky 13 at that) as the bad idea of the year.

As far as the original question goes, I can't image adding another 300 lbs to the receiver, and then adding on the tongue weight 24" further back. Talk about a recipe for a disaster.

Now, if Billy-Bob wanted to pull his 12' bass boat and put some bait boxes in the bins, it MIGHT work, but not with anything we have here, at least that I am aware of.

Maybe that's why it's on eBay, it's not the first bad idea I have seen there.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:06 PM   #16

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watters View Post
You might look into flipping the idea around. If the scooter rack could be mounted with a hitch extension - the rack would go on the back of the tow vehicle and then the trailer would get hitched on the back of that. Sorta like the arrangement in the link:

60x20" Folding Cargo Carrier Basket Hitch Tow Receiver | eBay
The problem with hitch extensions is that they substantially lower the allowable tongue weight (typically by 50% or more) because they act as a lever. So… if your trailer has a tongue weight of, say, 250 lbs., and you want to carry 350 additional lbs. on the hitch using an extension, you'd need a hitch and vehicle rated for (250+350)x2 = 1200 lbs. on the tongue!

The product illustrated is probably only intended for lightweight cargo and a small fishing boat, maybe.

EDIT - Bob beat me to the punch… again... guess I need to learn to type faster!
Old 05-30-2014, 02:01 AM   #17

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Watters View Post
And even if the tow vehicle and its receiver has the strength and 'tongue weight' capacity to withstand this addition, the trailer is now hitched to a ball that is cantilevered out two feet behind the tow vehicle, so expect sway problems right up to the point where the extender snaps off.....
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote