mounting running lights with only butyl tape - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-04-2018, 12:28 PM   #1

Name: Nolan
Trailer: Boler 13ft 1972
British Columbia
mounting running lights with only butyl tape

HI

I have found some running lights for my trailer that are different in shape from the originals. And I don't want to drill more holes to mount these.

My thoughts are that these are light, aerodynamic, and non-load bearing so it would be okay to mount these using butyl tape only, and not screws or bolts. In the event that something does work loose, they are still connected by the wires, but the butyl tape is really sticky and I'll be sure to clean both surfaces carefully to have a strong bond.

Anyone had experience with this who wants to warn me about something I haven't thought about? I've never worked with butyl tape before, so this is just my common-sense speculation.
Attached Thumbnails
running lights.PNG  

nolan krombein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:52 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
I wouldn't do it. I would rather seal the old holes and then drill new ones. You could use one of the old holes and only have to seal and redrill one per light.

ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:13 PM   #3

British Columbia
ststefan, whats your thinking behind that?
Old 04-04-2018, 02:55 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Butyl tape wont hold.

3M VHB tape probably will hold, if you can get enough surface area to match up and do proper prep, and use the proper type of VHB.

If the new fixture is larger than than the old one, use one of the holes for a mechanical mount (screw or bolt) and VHB tape on the other end that covers the second hole .

But for any holes that will be covered.. I would put some resin in it to seal it up well first. Thats what I did when I replaced my city water inlet and shore power entry. In both of those cases the existing holes were covered up by the new hardware so it did not have to be pretty. And covered with butyl, it probably didnt even need to be water proof, but that never hurts.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:58 PM   #5

Name: Neto
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
butyl tape Is not tape. It is a sealer.
Use the 3M that was sugested.
Neto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:39 PM   #6

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolan krombein View Post
ststefan, whats your thinking behind that?
Butyl wouldn't withstand the shear forces. It's a very good sealant but only has limited holding power. It also seals better when squished between the hull and light mechanically.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:07 PM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
Butyl tape is certainly not the answer. It won't last very long, and it really doesn't attach those lights the way the manufacturer intended. Buytl tape only works under compression, like using it to seal a window frame to the trailer shell. Without some physical attachment, (i.e. screws or rivets,) there is nothing to keep it there.
I guess I just don't understand what exactly your "heartburn" is with buying a small kit of 2-part epoxy and filling the existing holes and drilling a few new ones? It's a "nothing"thing to do. I drill and fill holes all the time. Couldn't be easier.
Get yourself one of these, (and it will be good for many repairs,) and fill 'em.

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Tex-RM...70_&dpSrc=srch
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:59 PM   #8

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
HI

I have found some running lights for my trailer that are different in shape from the originals. And I don't want to drill more holes to mount these.

My thoughts are that these are light, aerodynamic, and non-load bearing so it would be okay to mount these using butyl tape only, and not screws or bolts. In the event that something does work loose, they are still connected by the wires, but the butyl tape is really sticky and I'll be sure to clean both surfaces carefully to have a strong bond.

Anyone had experience with this who wants to warn me about something I haven't thought about? I've never worked with butyl tape before, so this is just my common-sense speculation.

I couldn't help but notice that your picture had 4 red running lights. I hope that you plan on using amber lights near the front. Check light laws.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:58 PM   #9

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
I've mounted small lights on several things including a boat using VHB, and it works well. As others have mentioned, don't use butyl tape. That's a sealer, not an adhesive.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:08 PM   #10

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
I can't tel the size comparison, but my new LED running lights were smaller than the originals. I made an escutcheon out of black mudflap material to make them fit. On the taillights I simply put pop rivets with snap caps into the exposed holes.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0031.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:19 PM   #11

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I can't tel the size comparison, but my new LED running lights were smaller than the originals. I made an escutcheon out of black mudflap material to make them fit. On the taillights I simply put pop rivets with snap caps into the exposed holes.
That is a sharp looking install. And, they're not going anywhere.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:59 AM   #12

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
Why not use direct replacement

$2 each on ebay with free shipping . They line right up on mine

New Bargman 30-99-002 Amber Clearance/Side Marker Light

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Bargman...1Z1NLW&vxp=mtr
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:13 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Look to mount with 3M 5200 it will seal and hold those lights in place. It will also seal any extra holes. Find where you want the light. Place an outline of blue masking tape around the light about 1/8" gap all around. Put the adhesive calking on the back of the light and press in place. Tape the light in place so it doesnt move. Wipe around the light to fair the squeeze out. Let the calking cure at least over night. Remove the tape and you will have a clean installation. It will be very difficult to remove if you ever need to.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:18 AM   #14

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Look to mount with 3M 5200 it will seal and hold those lights in place. It will also seal any extra holes. Find where you want the light. Place an outline of blue masking tape around the light about 1/8" gap all around. Put the adhesive calking on the back of the light and press in place. Tape the light in place so it doesnt move. Wipe around the light to fair the squeeze out. Let the calking cure at least over night. Remove the tape and you will have a clean installation. It will be very difficult to remove if you ever need to.
While 3M 5200 is an excellent sealant, it is also permanent. I would suggest 3M 4200 or Sika-Flex instead for an application such as this, or for that matter, for attaching anything that you may ever want to, or need to, remove down the road. 3M 5200 is permanent, and will probably cause some damage in attempting to remove something bonded with it. 3M 4200 or Sika-Flex are a bit more forgiving if you should need to take something off again. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:05 PM   #15

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I know silicone gets a bad rap on this forum but GE has a fairly new product called GE Iron Grip silicone adhesive. I have been experimenting with it and and have had very good results. Attaching a lightweight marker light should be no problem but if you have any doubts go online and check out the reviews. It carries a lifetime warranty.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:25 PM   #16

British Columbia
Thanks all for suggestions. My original lights are round and i struggled to find direct replacement. I will use butyl. That will over the old holes too and bolt or screw tge new lights in. I can use one existing hole and will drill a second. All i need is for it to stop raining in ncouver so i can do some work
Old 04-06-2018, 09:27 PM   #17

Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
I know what you mean about Vancouver area rain. I'm in Maple ridge and have been waiting for the rains to cease so I can start paint prep.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:31 PM   #18

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
I know what you mean about Vancouver area rain. I'm in Maple ridge and have been waiting for the rains to cease so I can start paint prep.
You just use a wet sandpaper.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #19

Washington
Registry
Quote:
All I need is for it to stop raining in Vancouver so I can do some work
That's why they call it the Pacific Northwet (sic)
Old 04-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #20

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Butyl tape is certainly not the answer. It won't last very long, and it really doesn't attach those lights the way the manufacturer intended. Buytl tape only works under compression, like using it to seal a window frame to the trailer shell. Without some physical attachment, (i.e. screws or rivets,) there is nothing to keep it there.
I guess I just don't understand what exactly your "heartburn" is with buying a small kit of 2-part epoxy and filling the existing holes and drilling a few new ones? It's a "nothing"thing to do. I drill and fill holes all the time. Couldn't be easier.
Get yourself one of these, (and it will be good for many repairs,) and fill 'em.

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Tex-RM...70_&dpSrc=srch
This, all day long. Love that Marine-Tex.

Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights