Mr Buddy Propane Heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2003, 08:01 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Mr Buddy Propane Heater

This may have already been mentioned somewhere here, but over on the Casita forum it has been mentioned that Lowe's is having a special on these little heaters. $57 or thereabouts, which I guess is *almost* half price.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 08:29 AM   #2

Portable Buddy

And the top o' the mornin' to you, Mr Brummett.

You're about two months late with the news. I paid $90 for mine on sale.

A word of caution. I was in Home Despot and saw a clone of Portable Buddy for about that price ($57). I don't know if it's better or worse, but it's not Mr Heater.

Robert, do you have kinfolk in East Texas? My sister was married to a Brummett. (If we find we're kinfolk, I won't tell on you. :quiet )

Old 02-07-2003, 08:40 AM   #3

Hmmm

Hmmm ... Morgan, I'm thinking about picking up a spare. Maybe you should too!

We went up to Starved Rock for a winter campout a while back ... I put the Mr. Buddy heater outside by the dump valves for a couple of hours to warm (and possibly thaw) them out before heading for the dump station.

Things were actually hot to the touch when I remembered that I had the heater going out by the pipes.

So, I see where I could use two of them ... one inside and one outside the trailer.

Remember, everyone, the Mr. Buddy heater doesn't work at altitudes over 5,000 ft (1,500 m) or so ... which is why I also have a Coleman Black Cat.

Old 02-07-2003, 08:44 AM   #4

Howdy, Cousin Morgan!

Yes, gobs of Brummetts throughout Texas. Frio County had lots I hear, but they are everywhere. All US Brummetts seem to be descended from the same SE VA/SE KY lines going back to Nimrod Brummett and beyond, all pre-Revolution. Some were already in Texas before the Alamo, but apparently "had business elsewhere" while that little tussle was going on.

Bulger. Bulger. Hmmm. I seem to remember a family of notorious horse-thieves by that name. You wouldn't be related to *them* would ya? If you are, your secret is safe with me.

(BTW, to make tings even worse-- I'm a UA alum!)

Old 02-07-2003, 09:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Orginally posted by Charles Watts

Hmmm ... Morgan, I'm thinking about picking up a spare. Maybe you should too!

We went up to Starved Rock for a winter campout a while back ... I put the Mr. Buddy heater outside by the dump valves for a couple of hours to warm (and possibly thaw) them out before heading for the dump station.

Things were actually hot to the touch when I remembered that I had the heater going out by the pipes.

So, I see where I could use two of them ... one inside and one outside the trailer.

Remember, everyone, the Mr. Buddy heater doesn't work at altitudes over 5,000 ft (1,500 m) or so ... which is why I also have a Coleman Black Cat.
A spare may be a good idea, Charles. I've already replaced mine once (oil in the propane).

My literature from Mr Heater says 6500' in one place and 7000' in another.

Your idea of warming the valves ain't too tacky. I had water crystallized in the blue hose Tuesday morning. It may have been in the pipes, too; I didn't look.

Old 02-07-2003, 09:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Orginally posted by Robert Brummett

Yes, gobs of Brummetts throughout Texas. Frio County had lots I hear, but they are everywhere. All US Brummetts seem to be descended from the same SE VA/SE KY lines going back to Nimrod Brummett and beyond, all pre-Revolution. Some were already in Texas before the Alamo, but apparently "had business elsewhere" while that little tussle was going on.

Bulger. Bulger. Hmmm. I seem to remember a family of notorious horse-thieves by that name. You wouldn't be related to *them* would ya? If you are, your secret is safe with me.

(BTW, to make tings even worse-- I'm a UA alum!)
Not horse thieves, but I've heard there were mule thieves in the family tree.

My sister's name was Agnes Bulgier. She married Dale Brummett or Dale was her son. She was a generation ahead of me, so I don't remember. They lived in Alba in Wood County, Texas. They had a son and a daughter. I think Agnes was born in the first decade of the last century.

The Bulgers immigrated from Ireland. One ancestor settled for a time in Louisiana. He changed his name to Bulgier; probably trying to pass as Acadian. He didn't stay long, so it must not have worked.

UA? United Artists? :conf

Old 02-07-2003, 10:11 AM   #7

UA=University of Arizona

I saw you were from Phoenix, and just thought I'd rub it in!

Dale Brummett sounds familiar and I will have to look him up. Thanks for the lead.

Yes, Bulger is a variant of the usual form used in Ireland, Bolger (like Ray Bolger). They are a County Wexford family (S of Dublin in the famous hills) known for the many members who were doctors. The actual Irish of the name is Ó Bolguidhír (pronounced approximately OH-bowl-GEER). The meaning of the name is in some dispute among onomastics scholars, but is often given as bolg (belly) and odhar (yellow). You can see why it has been disputed, mostly by Bolgers!

One other Irish note, if I haven't bored you to tears already. "Top of the morning" as a happy greeting is unknown in Ireland, save as directed to tourists. The British, never the most accommodating to other people's languages, had great trouble with the Irish tongue and therefore butchered it regularly. There are many, many examples of this and the expression mentioned above is one of them. To make a long linguistic story short, the translation of the expression of greeting they thought was "top of the morning," was actually "the cream of the milk to you!" Much better, since it is awfully hard to tell a morning's top from its bottom.

Old 02-07-2003, 10:20 AM   #8

Irish

Robert,

I learned all my Irish from Barry Fitzgerald, so it may not be authentic. :)

Bulger is also an English name meaning "maker of purses."

If you find we are kinfolk, you might want to take this to Private Messaging. You wouldn't want these folks to know you're related to a Bulger, Bulgier or Ó Bolguidhír. :E :E

Actually, I knew what you meant by UA. The alum confused me, we had a well with alum in it when I was a kid in East Texas. :u

Old 02-07-2003, 10:49 AM   #9

Your sense of humor...

...indicates that we *are* possibly related. Therefore, no more of this here. Even the walls have ears, and loose lips sink ships, etc.

My purse-maker was evidently NOT a bulger, as it doesn't. Alas!

Old 02-07-2003, 11:04 AM   #10

But, I was enjoying it. (pout)

Old 02-07-2003, 06:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Orginally posted by Thomas and Janifer

But, I was enjoying it. (pout)
JJ Pullstrailerwithyellowescape,

Robert is now deleting all his Family Tree files for fear he'll learn something he doesn't want to know. :reye2

Don't ask, don't tell. :nono

Old 02-07-2003, 09:20 PM   #12

U of A

Hello Robert, what year?:wave

Old 02-08-2003, 07:27 AM   #13

Hi folks

Bill and Darlene: 1964 (MA)

Morgan & Jana: I think I can survive a mule-thief or two, even a Bulgier, after the shock I got a week or two ago while fiddling around with net-based genealogy sites. A Brummett who was a general from Kentucky. A union general! A YANKEE! How humiliating. Degrading! I haven't checked into the lout yet, but I'm hoping that the "general" was a mocking honorific, perhaps conferred on a lovable town drunk. If he turns out to be legitimate, then I am totally shattered.

No, after that I can survive anything!