Spent the last couple weeks reading FGRV nonstop basically. After several deliveries from the mailman, I had everything ready for the electrical
upgrades. The original transformer was fine I'm sure, but I wanted to be able to charge the 12v battery
with shore power, and also add solar
down the line.
Here is the stock location for the panel. Randy replaced the shore power cord with a 30a 120VAC plug in the same location which is a great idea.
The area behind the transformer had quite a bit of space for a new converter.
Most people swap in a PD4045 but I wanted something that fit in the existing cutout for the transformer. The PD4600 is supposed to be a drop-in replacement for these kinds of things, but I wasn't a fan of how the breakers/fuses were set up on it. I think you'd have to pull it out every time to reach them. So I decided on the PD5000 distribution panel paired with a PD9245 for conversion. Yeah, not the most cost effective solution, but $60-$80 more in the scheme of things didn't seem that bad.
Mixed in with this decision was an obsessive amount of measuring and checking clearances. I wanted to be super sure everything would fit and I'd avoid any crazy workarounds. Once I felt good enough to order everything, the next step was to start hacking away at the fiberglass.
I estimate I saved about 1.0-2.0 oz in weight
with the fiberglass I removed. So that's good. My ultralight backpacking days are paying off.
I epoxied some wood strips behind the cutout to screw into. I suspect they weighed more than 2 oz. Oops.
Happy to say the panel fits just fine. And the crushing realization that the furnace
cover might get in the way gave me a small heart attack. Luckily that's not the case and there's plenty of room.