My 1991 Scamp renovation - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #41

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
Snow storm

Nothing like a cold wet Scamp!

(bone dry inside though)
Attached Thumbnails
camper 008.jpg  
KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #42

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinScamps View Post
(bone dry inside though)
and when you really think about that's the most important
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #43

Colorado
Best Radio ever

So if you noticed in the above pictures of the front dinette the new sounds "system." Its a JVC IPOD/Iphone dock (sitting on the table. Fantastic sound, charges the Itoy of your choice, and best of all, runs on a 12 V wall wort (thing you plug in the wall, for all you non-engineers). Therefore just cut off the plug and attach it into you 12 V battery line and you are done. This was super easy for me because I installed a fuse box with screw terminals.

Takes about .78 amps at a reasonable volume while charging the phone. In dance party mode (and charging phone) takes 1.2 amps. My only complaint is the connector to the itoy is not as solid as I would like and sometimes I have to plug in the audio with the included cable. I've had one of these for two years and I bought a second one to go in the camper.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #44

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
Awesome thread. Thanks for posting all the pictures.

I'll be building my front dinette very soon (just cut out the goucho yesterday).

--Fred and Natalie
1978 Trillium 4500 "Bernerwagon"
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #45

Colorado
Built in Cooler

I didn't want to install a refrigerator, because they are generally so tiny, I generally Boondock, and they disturb my sleep when they kick on and off. So I looked for a long while a for a good sized cooler that would fit well in the space under the stove, with out much luck. You end up with a tiny, poorly insulated cooler. I was also kind of bored since it has been too cold to work on the outside of the camper like I really need to. Some day I will finish all the gel coating I promise! Anyways. So I used 1.5" pink foam covered in fiberglass as the insulation. I also lined the space around it with 2" styrofoam. Total overkill, but I had already bought the styrofoam and the decided it was the wrong stuff to use. I followed the directions from West System for mixing the epoxy for a water tank, so it shouldn't be too toxic . I'm pretty happy how it turned out.
Attached Thumbnails
camper3 017.jpg   camper3 018.jpg  

camper3 019.jpg   camper3 020.jpg  

camper3 021.jpg   camper3 022.jpg  

Old 03-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #46

Colorado
Brakes!

I finally got a warm day to throw the brakes on. I need to figure out how to get them adjusted just right. I'm still figuring out how I used 40 feet of wire on a 13 foot trailer. What happened is I ran all the wiring on the inside, so it kind wraps around the entire trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
camper3 012.jpg   camper3 013.jpg  

camper3 014.jpg  
Old 03-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #47

Colorado
Leaks

My stupid range vent leaked. I kind of knew it would, but I was trying to avoid using a sealant over the butyl putty. Wnhat happened is I drove around a little, the carpeting and insulation on the walls compressed a little bit, allowing the bolts to loosen up a little bit and compressing the butyl, leaving a small space for water. Sad day. Anyways, I tightened everything up and used 3M 402 sealant all around, so it will never do that to me again.
Attached Thumbnails
camper3 004.jpg  
Old 03-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #48

Colorado
Carpeted the floor

Well actually it is removable, just for when it is really cold outside. It makes a huge difference to the temperature in the camper.
Attached Thumbnails
camper3 002.jpg  
Old 05-24-2012, 10:42 PM   #49

Colorado
LED range lights

I added a strip of LED lights from some chinese company. Awesome light, i.e. not too harsh or blue. Admittedly the color temperature is bright sunny day rather than a truely warm white you would get from a normal light bulb. It takes about 0.5 amps. Installation involved drilling two small holes and screwing in two screws, then running the wire over to the switch I had already install. My Itoy made taking pictures really hard because the contrast is fairly high.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0797.jpg  
Old 05-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #50

Colorado
First Trip Report!!!

I finally took my Scamp for its first test drive! I will consider the trip a successful overnight, despite the rain, snow, and sleet mother nature decided to throw at me. That plan was for a weekend, but hiking in that weather did not look fun, and hanging out in a chilly camper all day when I could be at home working on it instead seemed much better. I did get a chance to test out the heater. I was not overwhelmed. It took quite a while for the camper and me to come up to temperature. Also I was a little paranoid about CO poisoning. I have a sensor to install, which definitely needs to go in before I can sleep with the heat on. Otherwise everything worked (including the brakes), the bed was comfortable, and the camper didn't leak.

What do people do about glass jars and stuff rattling around on the shelfs and banging to together and breaking? I got scared, so I ended up stuff my clothes around them. Maybe a bungee cord nextime?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0795.jpg  
Old 05-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #51

Colorado
I found the information on the LEDs. They seem like they are very high quality. They are even supposed to be waterproof, which is a plus right over the stove and sink.

Order Confirmation from LEDLIGHTSWORLD.COM

Products
------------------------------------------------------
1 x 20 Inch Waterproof SMD5050 Rigid LED Lightbar with 30LEDs
(HK-AR5050X30W-12) = $19.50
Color Warm White(3000-3500K)
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $19.50
Flat Rate (Shipping to US (1 x 0.15kg)): $9.00
Total: $28.50
Old 05-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #52

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I finally took my Scamp for its first test drive!

What do people do about glass jars and stuff rattling around on the shelfs and banging to together and breaking? I got scared, so I ended up stuff my clothes around them. Maybe a bungee cord nextime?
for the test drive!

My trailer has very little glass inside, I've changed everything to plastic or stainless after nearly ruining a perfect weekend when I broke a glass carafe from a Mr. Coffee and small bits of glass rained down on the carpet. (hate that carpet!). I don't carry a vacuum cleaner (that seems so wrong when camping) and the entire weekend I spent in shoes anytime I walked from Point A to Point B (bathroom in the middle of the night).

I know there are those that have an adversion to food mixed with plastic... but it's not an every day thing for me... so I don't worry about it. YMMV

Lookin' good
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #53

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
That cooler is ingenious! Nice work so far!
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #54

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
What do people do about glass jars and stuff rattling around on the shelfs and banging to together and breaking?
Kevin your trailer is looking good!
I dont have any glass its all plastic - you can get some pretty nice plastic wear these days.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #55

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
... Its a JVC IPOD/Iphone dock (sitting on the table. Fantastic sound, charges the Itoy of your choice, and best of all, runs on a 12 V wall wort (thing you plug in the wall, for all you non-engineers).
Carol Ann found a solar system for her IPOD that you can also use outside the trailer. You can read about it here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post294205
It also does I phones. I'm not sure if there is a new model this year or not.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #56

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Often I prefer to store food in jars while camping. In that case I use 2-cup wide-mouth canning jars which are very strong. White plastic caps are available if you don't like the 2-piece metal type. Cut off the cuff of socks and place these over the jar bottom, preventing them from banging together. You can also use plastic sock dividers made to organize drawers on your shelves or in your front hatch and place the jars within these dividers.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #57

Name: jim & mary
Trailer: scamp 13 1999
Washington
Registry
If you do not mind changing tires.I bought a set of 8" tires and rims to put on my scamp,so can move it in and out of garage.

jim ellis
jim ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #58

Colorado
The work continues

I used the camper a LOT last year so I decided to make a few improvements over the winter. First my cabinet doors were a little heavy and one broke a hinge while driving. Second, the fiberglass of the kitchen was a pain in the ass to clean, so instead of fixing all the holes the previous owner drilled in it to replace things like hinges on the cabinet doors, I decided to cover it up with wood and formica. Nothing says home like faux granite tops! More of a pain in the ass then I thought it would be because the sink had a raised area in the fiberglass which I had to grind out to make the surface flat for the formica. I found that holding the vacuum cleaner with one hand and the grinder with the other worked pretty well to keep the dust down. I still managed to coat the inside of the camper with a thin layer of toxic gel coat and fiberglass dust. That took a while to clean up.

I also fixed the cutlery drawer from bouncing around by screwing a piece of wood underneath it and replacing the piece of plywood that Scamp uses as sliders. While the stove was out I also spray painted the metal box around the stove black so it would not rust (not that anybody besides me will ever see it). In stead of cabinet doors I put a locking mechanism to keep the cooler in place while driving and put a stop at the front of the other shelf to prevent things from falling out. Cabinet doors are a nice idea, but in such a small space, I would much prefer to just be able to see things and pick them up rather then having to maneuver myself around each door as I open it up to find the thing I lost.
Attached Thumbnails
photo (3).jpg  
Old 04-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #59

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
I used the camper a LOT last year so I decided to make a few improvements over the winter. First my cabinet doors were a little heavy and one broke a hinge while driving.
Instead of hinges, why not bolt the door to the front of the icebox and put the handle on that...
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #60

Colorado
I am going to.... someday. I have a piece of thin plywood that matches the cabinet facing that I will glue and screw onto the front of the icebox.

Tags
scamp