The work continues... I spent a great deal of time bending and shaping, and bending some more
but the frame pieces are done and waiting on my welder to put them together.
While I wait on that, I decided to go ahead and address another issue. Where the hinges attach to the body, seems to be an obvious weak area.
Relying on the fiberglass alone to support the door... a point that takes a lot of tourque must be reinforced. I chose to do this by adhering a 55" x 2" band of 1/8" thick aluminum to the inside surface.
I was able to carefully separate the ensolite from the body so it will be hidden when put back together.
Once the adhesive has cured I'll drill out the holes for the hinge bolts.
I'm using PL9000 Heavy Duty construction adhesive,
it was one that specifically said it bonds to metal and fiberglass. It has a 72 hour cure period so I clamp it together and wait.
Its my hope/expectation that the aluminum flat will spread the twisting force over the entire length of the hinge side, and give a lot more rigidity. At the very least, I have every confidence that it will prevent the hinges from breaking the delicate shell they were attached to.