My 77 B15 Beachcomber - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #41

Name: Sidney
Trailer: 77 Beachcomber B15
British Columbia
Registry
Hi All: I thought it was about time to update the posts on my B15 Reno. I haven't accomplished a lot in the last month or so. In Aug. my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. I am happy to report that 3 weeks ago a lumpectomy was performed and the reports are very good. Radiation treatments are planned for the near future, but we are optimistic that the threat is past.
Now on to the Beachcomber. I am sending some pics to show that the exterior is almost completed. I have just finished most of the wiring and today picked up the R-Tech rigid insulation in Spokane (2- 1/2 hrs away). I am planning to start installing that to-morrow. I'm not sure how long the weather will last. I'll probably need a heater to work inside. The panelling inside will have to wait until spring.
Rick, I liked your idea for hiding wiring behind behind a vertical blind strip, but didn't feel it would work for me. Note on some of the pics, I fished the wires through the space left behind the framing along the belly band. Where the wires had to cross a frame member, I cut a Channel and then covered the wire with a "U" shaped piece of metal to protect them from nails etc. The original wiring lasted for 34 years even with all the wood rot problems etc. so I figured if I did a careful re-wiring job, it should last for another 20 or 30 years. That's probably longer than I will need it.
I really appreciate all the information, suggestions and ideas shared by all the members. It seems like each idea inspires one or more new ones.I am looking forward to an "egg" meet, to see and share first hand all the different approaches people take.
At the present I am trying to figure out how the top and bottom halves (at the front and back ends of the trailer) meet or overlap. I would really like to see one that is still intact or original. It would certainly help to plan that step of the rebuild. Maybe Willis in Kelowna could help in this regard.
Donna, I am trying the note pad "cut and paste" you suggested. Always something new to learn right??

Sid
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01848.jpg   DSC01849.jpg  

DSC01851.jpg   DSC01854.jpg  

DSC01855.jpg   DSC01858.jpg  

DSC01861.jpg   DSC01862.jpg  

Squidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #42

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidley View Post
Hi All: I thought it was about time to update the posts on my B15 Reno. I haven't accomplished a lot in the last month or so. In Aug. my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. I am happy to report that 3 weeks ago a lumpectomy was performed and the reports are very good. Radiation treatments are planned for the near future, but we are optimistic that the threat is past.

Donna, I am trying the note pad "cut and paste" you suggested. Always something new to learn right??

Sid
The prognosis sounds good and we'll all keep out fingers crossed!

Yep Sid, there's always something new to learn!

Thanks for the update and sharing the pictures... looks like your trailer is really coming along nicely
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #43

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The prognosis sounds good and we'll all keep out fingers crossed!

Sure glad to hear the prognosis sounds so good...will keep you both in my Prayers

Yep Sid, there's always something new to learn!

I learn something new almost every time I come here.

Thanks for the update and sharing the pictures... looks like your trailer is really coming along nicely
X2 on pictures and it sure looks good. I sure enjoy the great works of others. Gives me so many good ideas

Happy Camping...Lynn
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:27 AM   #44

Name: Willis
Trailer: Beachcomber B15
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Registry
I can try and help with the overlap, Do you want pictures, or ideas. My old paneling is still intact so I can take some pics for you. Alternatively my plan was to (this plan is just a thought, not sure how it will work) frame the paneling out below the belly band so that I can use one piece straight across the back. The back of mine will be a permanent bed, with storage under. This would allow for more insulation where a person would sleep against, and create a ledge for my girlfriends ever present water glass.
willisworms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #45

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by willisworms View Post
I can try and help with the overlap, Do you want pictures, or ideas. My old paneling is still intact so I can take some pics for you. Alternatively my plan was to (this plan is just a thought, not sure how it will work) frame the paneling out below the belly band so that I can use one piece straight across the back. The back of mine will be a permanent bed, with storage under. This would allow for more insulation where a person would sleep against, and create a ledge for my girlfriends ever present water glass.
Hi Willis, thanks for responding. Pics would be great, but so would ideas.
Also, we'll be making a number of trips to Kelowna in the near future. A personal viewing would be even better if we could set up a coffee meeting. We'll be in Kelowna on Nov. 18, and Nov. 22 for starters. If your
trailer is available for a quick viewing that would be great.

Sid
Old 10-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #46

Trailer: Beachcomber TM15
Registry
Hey Sidney

Sorry to hear about your wife, it's tough I know.

As for the Beachcomber looks like you're doing a great job and will have it ready for camping next summer.

Rick.
Rick n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #47

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by willisworms View Post
Hi: I tried to send you a follow up message, but don't know if you received it. We will be in Kelowna from early Mon. Nov. 21st to Noon Thursday Nov. 24th. It would be great to get together and talk Beachcomber. My e-mail
is rosid@telus.net Hope to hear from you.

Sid
Old 11-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #48

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Quote:
I am currently trying to decide whether to go with a 12 volt dc fridge with a danfoss compressor, or the regular 2 or 3 way with propane. The first I could put on the curb side between the door and the window. Hopefully in a cupboard and raised so you don't have to get on your knees to retrieve the contents. It would also help to balance some of the weight between sides. Any comments????
I don't know if I am too late, but my fridge comment is to make sure it is off the floor, regardless of where you end up with it. The Trilliums often have the fridge right down on the floor, making it difficult to open the door if there are shoes or even a rug in the way. Even a few inches off the floor makes a huge difference.

Rick G.
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #49

Registry
Hey Sidney

How are things, I hope getting better.

I acquired another Beachcomber if you can believe it LOL.

I see we have another Beachcomber owner posting, we may have to start a beachcomber club LOL.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #50

British Columbia
Registry
Hi Rick: So you picked up another Beachcomber. Is this one going to be a complete rebuild like the other?? What kind of condition is it in?? Does this mean you now have one for each Bronco?? LOL.
I'm just waiting for spring so that I can get at mine again. Maybe another 2-2 1/2 months.
Bye the way, how high did you make your seats (bed) from the floor? I have to start planning my interior, cupboards etc.

Thanks
Sid
Old 01-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #51

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Hey Sid, I just read this thread. Very interesting! I have to say, your camper looks as good as any new one these days.
It's pretty neat having a camper that you can arrange any way you want!
Nice job - keep us up-to-date!
Well wishes for your wife.
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:36 PM   #52

Name: Tamara
Trailer: 78 Beachcomber B15
Alberta
Registry
Hi Sid, I've just been through this whole thread and your trailer looks great! Can't wait to see what you do for the interior
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #53

British Columbia
Registry
Hi Tamara: Just read your comment. When my wife read it she chuckled and said "Neither can we". Right now it's in the thought process....
I see you have a 78 B15. Do you have plans to renovate?? Could you send some pics??
I'm still trying to figure how to tie together the upper and lower sections in the front and rear ends.

Like Rick N says there seem to be a lot more "beachcombers" appearing. Maybe we'll have to start a "Beachcomber club" LOL.

Sid
Old 01-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #54

Name: Tamara
Trailer: 78 Beachcomber B15
Alberta
Registry
Hi Sid,
I was thinking about repainting the exterior and putting new decals on to spruce her up a bit but that's all. Almost everything else is original and I don't think I can bear to change anything!
I can most definitely post some pics of the interior; it's parked at my boyfriends farm and will be out there on the weekend so I'll snap some while I'm there.
It's great that there are still some Beachcombers out there; maybe a "Beachcomber Club" IS in order!
T
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #55

British Columbia
Registry
Tamara: I've been thinking about decals too, but wouldn't have any idea where to get them. They'd probably need to be made by a sign shop. I'd need to get some good pics of the originals.

Sid
Old 01-31-2012, 06:27 AM   #56

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
D'oh what was I THINKING! Beachcomber, Surfside... are not the same.

Sorry, just deleted the info I had originally posted.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:29 AM   #57

Registry
Talking Hey

Quote:
Tamara: I've been thinking about decals too, but wouldn't have any idea where to get them. They'd probably need to be made by a sign shop. I'd need to get some good pics of the originals.

Sid
Got in late from work last night so no time to post but will post about replacement decals and other stuff tonight.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:02 PM   #58

Registry
Talking The 411 on the new Beachcomber

Quote:
Hi Rick: So you picked up another Beachcomber. Is this one going to be a complete rebuild like the other?? What kind of condition is it in?? Does this mean you now have one for each Bronco?? LOL.
I'm just waiting for spring so that I can get at mine again. Maybe another 2-2 1/2 months.
Bye the way, how high did you make your seats (bed) from the floor? I have to start planning my interior, cupboards etc.

Thanks
Sid
That would be no on the complete rebuild this is a fix it and flip it job, picked it up for a good price so I'll fix or rewire repair or replace brakes, new floor and rebuild cabinets repair and reseal windows, repair and or replace propane lines and install a new modern hitch (I hate the spring loaded ones it came with) what else? most likely tires and some paint.

Gawd awful interior paint job, sort of a chocolate brown sponge painted yuck.

Pictures to come soon as I can.

Rickn

Did I miss anything? LOL.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:08 PM   #59

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Rock'n Rick n- what's left after all that?
It should bring a good penny!
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #60

Registry
Talking Well it's got to be nice enough that I'd camp in it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlives View Post
Rock'n Rick n- what's left after all that?
It should bring a good penny!
I'm certainly not going to the extremes on this one as I am on the one I'm keeping but it has to be dry clean and safe(brakes,electrics and propane, tires and hitch).

I figure I'll have about $800 in materials into it not counting my labour and the original cost of the unit.

I see you're from down Louisiana way, I love Louisiana it's a slow comfortable life style with nice people and beautiful country side. I plan on visiting again one day

Rickn

Tags
beachcomber