My 77 B15 Beachcomber - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #1

Name: Sidney
Trailer: 77 Beachcomber B15
British Columbia
Registry
My 77 B15 Beachcomber

After reading all posts re: Beachcombers, and numerous other posts, and after communicating with Rick n about his TM15 rebuild, I am following his suggestion and starting a new thread.
I purchased my B15 in Vancouver BC, in Mid April after numerous e-mails with the PO. The trailer had sat in the Vancouver rains for 2 years with the roof vent open so I knew it would need extensive reno's. The PO to the PO had advertised it as having been raised 8" to use as a hunting trailer. It was even listed in the fibreglass rv forum. Some may remember the Vitara spare tire cover. See attached pics. The pics also show the height of the trailer. I have read in the forums that you should have 3 inches between the top of the tire and the top of the wheel well. This trailer had 9 inches clearance. All in all,(but not being aware of the frame condition) I purchased at a very good price. I knew I would need to replace the sprung axle with a new torflex axle. Later, I was amazed that I towed it home (about 450 KM) without incident. I am attaching a number of pics showing the "VITARA" , the height, ceiling leak, cupboards, roof condition, Ser# tag, water damage, original axle and frame damage.
I have been a bit remiss in taking as many pics as I should, but the next post will show some progress.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01629.jpg   DSC01631.jpg  

DSC01632.jpg   DSC01639.jpg  

DSC01640.jpg   DSC01644.jpg  

DSC01645.jpg   DSC01654.jpg  

DSC01691.jpg   DSC01698.jpg  

Squidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #2

Trailer: Beachcomber TM15
Registry
Talking Hey Sidney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidley View Post
After reading all posts re: Beachcombers, and numerous other posts, and after communicating with Rick n about his TM15 rebuild, I am following his suggestion and starting a new thread.
I purchased my B15 in Vancouver BC, in Mid April after numerous e-mails with the PO. The trailer had sat in the Vancouver rains for 2 years with the roof vent open so I knew it would need extensive reno's. The PO to the PO had advertised it as having been raised 8" to use as a hunting trailer. It was even listed in the fibreglass rv forum. Some may remember the Vitara spare tire cover. See attached pics. The pics also show the height of the trailer. I have read in the forums that you should have 3 inches between the top of the tire and the top of the wheel well. This trailer had 9 inches clearance. All in all,(but not being aware of the frame condition) I purchased at a very good price. I knew I would need to replace the sprung axle with a new torflex axle. Later, I was amazed that I towed it home (about 450 KM) without incident. I am attaching a number of pics showing the "VITARA" , the height, ceiling leak, cupboards, roof condition, Ser# tag, water damage, original axle and frame damage.
I have been a bit remiss in taking as many pics as I should, but the next post will show some progress.
Excellent pictures, it looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you but trust me you will be very happy when you're out camping with it and someone comments on what a cool trailer you have.

Keep the pictures and progress coming.

Rick.
Rick n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hey Sidney, like Rick says... keep it up and keep those pics coming.

I can't imagine owning an asset like a molded fiberglass trailer and leaving the vent open for two years. What were the owners thinking? Obviously NOT.

But, we've seen worse. Somewhere around here is a Bigfoot 5th wheel that went through a flood... all the way up to the top of the windows! Talk about work. Certainly no worse than what you're facing... and it turned out beautiful! And now you have the opportunity to make it uniquely your own. Maybe a bigger bed?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #4

British Columbia
Registry
In my prev post, I attached a pic showing a patched break in the frame. It was not a crack, but a total break with about 3/16th inch gap between the sections. Even the patch had broken loose on one end. The other side of the frame was the same. This was discovered when I took the body off of the frame. There was also cosiderable damage to the lower front area of the body. With the weather not cooperating, and as the trailer is outside, it took several weeks to do the FG repairs needed to repair the damage and strengthen the body.
A twisted wire brush on a grinder was taken to the frame to remove rust before painting with black tremclad. I'm not sure if this paint is the best, but hope it will last for a few years.
After numerous hours studying the frame, sprung axle and torflex specs, I finally ordered a new torflex axle from Reace at Escape Trailers in Chilliwack, BC. I found Reace and Tammy very congenial and very helpful.
It's probably a good thing that my TV is only rated to pull a max load of 2,000 lbs. or we might have driven away with a new Escape. I believe their smallest is just a few hundred lbs. over 2,000.
It's about a 4 1/2 hour drive each way, but we were able to stay over with our daughter & son in law in White Rock.
Upon our return, I towed the frame on the old axle to a local welding shop to have the frame properly repaired and the torflex mounting plates welded to the frame and the new axle installed. I am quite happy with the job and it only took 2 1/2 hours with three men working on it.
Then I made a major decision and purchased two new wheels from OK tire.
I am including a pic of the diagram showing the specs of the new axle.
Of course with the body sitting on saw horses, I couldn't get inside to do any further work so I was glad to get the frame back under.
Other pics show the gutted interior, an unexplained square hole that needed patching, a closed up window that I re-opened but still needs the window, patching where the spare tire was mounted, and finally the new plywood floor installed. Sorry I didn't get pics of all the steps.
The last pic is of a roof support I am working on. Again, I couldn't find the aluminum "c" channel that Rick used to re enforce the ceiling. Next time out I will try to get better pics of this
My B15 is on a friends farm and all the work is being done outside.
Incidentally another friends old boler was also stored there but has now moved to the coast.
I am currently trying to decide whether to go with a 12 volt dc fridge with a danfoss compressor, or the regular 2 or 3 way with propane. The first I could put on the curb side between the door and the window. Hopefully in a cupboard and raised so you don't have to get on your knees to retrieve the contents. It would also help to balance some of the weight between sides. Any comments????
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01692.jpg   B15 009.jpg  

B15 014.jpg   B15 013.jpg  

B15 015.jpg   B15 019.jpg  

B15 022.jpg   DSC01711.jpg  

DSC01713.jpg  
Old 08-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #5

Registry
Great progress

If you are near a Princess Auto they should have the "C" channel extruded aluminum.

It sure does bring back memories seeing your stripped bare interior.

Have you decided on a layout and what build materials you're going to use?

Rick.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:40 PM   #6

British Columbia
Registry
Hi Donna: I guess to be charitable to the PO of my B15, they had purchased it with the intent of renovating. He was a house renovator. Afte purchase he fell at work and died. I guess that explains the neglect. She just didn't care.

Hey Rick: Thanks for the heads up on the extruded al. c channel, but thats 2.5 hours away. I May have come up with an alternate which appears to be very strong. also, I will only lose about 1/4" of head room. I hope to get some pics tomorrow to help explain.
Thanks again
Sid
Old 08-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #7

Registry
I look forward to the pictures.

Quote:
Hi Donna: I guess to be charitable to the PO of my B15, they had purchased it with the intent of renovating. He was a house renovator. Afte purchase he fell at work and died. I guess that explains the neglect. She just didn't care.

Hey Rick: Thanks for the heads up on the extruded al. c channel, but thats 2.5 hours away. I May have come up with an alternate which appears to be very strong. also, I will only lose about 1/4" of head room. I hope to get some pics tomorrow to help explain.
Thanks again
Sid
I can't see there being a lot of chances for me to see what other folks do on a rebuild of the fabulous BeachComber Brand so believe me when I tell you I'm looking forward to seeing the materials and building style as well as your layout.

There probably isn't 10 of these little gems left on the planet.

Rick.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Thanks again
Sid
That's so very sad. The PO is probably "lookin" down on you and thinking.... go... make it usable and GREAT!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:18 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1984
Looking forward to seeing your make-over. Your pictures so far tell a great story of a servivor.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:24 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1984
Recently, I found this one sitting on a dealers lot. He has been fixing it up for a customer.
Attached Thumbnails
011 (640x427).jpg   012 (1280x853).jpg  

james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #11

Name: Willis
Trailer: Beachcomber B15
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick n View Post
I can't see there being a lot of chances for me to see what other folks do on a rebuild of the fabulous BeachComber Brand so believe me when I tell you I'm looking forward to seeing the materials and building style as well as your layout.

There probably isn't 10 of these little gems left on the planet.

Rick.
I guess I have one of the ten. I also am excited about this thread, The more detail the better, as I am planning a re-do on mine (if a guy could get any time off work)
Attached Thumbnails
big combo.jpg  
willisworms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #12

British Columbia
Registry
Hi Willis: Sure great to hear about another Beachcomber so close (about 2 1/2 hrs.) We get to Kelowna about once every 1-1/2 mos. It would be great to get together and talk about these hobbies of ours. Just by the looks of the one pic you posted, with the furnace exhaust near the door, I would guess that your layout or floorplan is different than mine, but I am hoping to change that. How extensive are your reno's going to be?? Send pics OK??

Sid
Old 08-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #13

British Columbia
Registry
confused

Hi everyone: I just typed a long post, added 10 pics, but when I tried to submit, I was told I wasn't logged in. When I tried to log in, I lost my Post. This has happened numerous times. I log in when I first enter the forum. I know I'm logged in because I can even enlarge other members pictues, which I can't do if I'm not logged in. Five or so minutes later, I'm told I'm not logged in. I'm confused. Can anyone point me in the right direction??
Old 08-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #14

Registry
Talking Now we only have to find the other 6 owners LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willisworms View Post
I guess I have one of the ten. I also am excited about this thread, The more detail the better, as I am planning a re-do on mine (if a guy could get any time off work)
That thing looks to be in great shape, do you have any interior pictures you can share with us.

If you want to see the progress on my build check out 78 BeachComber rebuild thread.

Rick.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #15

Registry
Talking Most times it's not the website.

Quote:
Hi everyone: I just typed a long post, added 10 pics, but when I tried to submit, I was told I wasn't logged in. When I tried to log in, I lost my Post. This has happened numerous times. I log in when I first enter the forum. I know I'm logged in because I can even enlarge other members pictues, which I can't do if I'm not logged in. Five or so minutes later, I'm told I'm not logged in. I'm confused. Can anyone point me in the right direction??
It will be the internet provider.
So please try again, looking forward to the pictures.

Rick.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:06 PM   #16

British Columbia
Registry
Hi: I will try again, with pics first.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01719.jpg   DSC01720.jpg  

DSC01721.jpg   DSC01724.jpg  

DSC01725.jpg   DSC01726.jpg  

DSC01727.jpg   DSC01731.jpg  

DSC01729.jpg   DSC01733.jpg  

Old 08-07-2011, 11:18 PM   #17

British Columbia
Registry
Pic follow up

Hi again: First three pics show some floor drains that I have installed just in case water enters the trailer.
Several pics show the B15 with windows removed. Several show the roof supports. I have installed 7 cross members. Hopefully they will support some weight when I need to work on the roof.
Rick, did your roof arch or bow above your roof supports and if so, how did you solve. If it isn't tight to the framing, what will stop it from vibating in the wind while traveling??
Sorry for being brief, but this is the third time I've typed this post.

Sid
Old 08-08-2011, 06:08 AM   #18

Registry
Talking Hey Sid, check out the pictures in 33 to 35 in my build post.

They show how I pushed up the ceiling/roof, what it doesn't show is I also used P/L premium fibre glass compatable adhesive to hold the wood frame to the roof/ceiling.

Hope that helps.

Rick.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #19

British Columbia
Registry
roof support

Hi Rick: Thanks for your quick reply.
Do I understand correctly then that your roof is not totally flat on top but has a slight arch which allows water to run off easier?? Also, it looks and sounds as though your aluminum supports are not arched quite the same, or have you placed wooden arches (spacers) between them and the FG??
Thanks again
Sid
Old 08-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #20

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Kudo's

Nice job on the restoration. I learned the hard way restoring boats that it is best to rip everything out. Keep the pictures coming. I want to find something like this myself.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beachcomber