My '82 Burro needs floor fixed or replaced, I need advise - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #1

Trailer: Tent
Arrow

I was considering lifting the body of my 82 Burro off the frame and replacing the floor. After reading BillD's post I am wondering if I even can lift it off, or should not try lift it off. I do need to have the frame welded but can leaving the body on for that. Anyone ever replaced the whole floor in a similar burro? I have placed plywood on top of what is in there already, and put in a couple of screws, this has made it very solid already. The prior owner used bondo in a large section by the door, so I am not loving that, but there is reinforced steel supporting that section. That is the only section that is questionable.

Any advise or experience to share I would appreciate it.

Thanks Mike

BillD great post thanks for the pictures, unfortunately with the double shell the burro is not so open to work on.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Couple of topics for you to read.
cracking a burro Speaks to replacing the entire floor by removing the body off the frame.

Burro Floor Rot

This is an old Legacy Post, so there's no pictures:
Removing 1982 Burro from trailer to replace floor, Need help planning this off-frame repair

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:01 PM   #3

Thanks Donna I'll read both.

Mike
Old 03-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #4

Trailer: Home Built Teardrop and U-Haul and Scamp
Mike,I'm not sure about how the floor is secured in a burro,but if its glassed to the sides,be careful when you remove it,and maybe grib the body somehow so it doesn't drop when you remove PART of the floor.I
Bill D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #5

Trailer: Home Built Teardrop and U-Haul and Scamp
Mike I'm not sure how the floor is secured in a Burro,but be careful the body doesn't drop when you remove PART of the floor,you may need to grib the body up somehow.I hated to put my rear floor in in two piecies but that may have to be done too get a good fit.and do one section at a time.Here's A good fiberglass place FYI http://www.raka.com/ that's where I bought my stuff a couple years ago,another good site for this rotten wood thing is www.rotdoctor.com
Bill D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:28 PM   #6

Thanks Bill, I have reviewed the topics that Donna included, and have decided that I will not remove the body from the frame. It will likely be a harder job, but in the end I am less concerned than rolling or cracking the body. My floor is only week by the door, where the prior owner used Bondo. I am now planning on cutting that our and replacing with plywood, then adding another sheet on top and securing in multiple places to the frame. For now I just put the extra plywood on top and it is solid, and that is without any fastening. I feel pretty good about that as a fix option that will work for now.

Thanks for the input an links, I will check them all out.

Mike

Tags
burro