My A/C mod - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2016, 07:37 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
BBQ.... Mr. Borrego makes a VERY good point. While alot of people will blast A/C (especially if it's roof mounted) saying for example: expensive, top heavy, taller, makes the inside ceiling 2" lower, waste of money.....

Well, I remember what my Dad always told me about things like this, "If you can afford it, you'll have it if you need it. BUT, if you dont get it and need it, then you'll always wish you had!" Sure...that's a luxury but for me, so is my RV'ing in general.

I give this morning as a perfect example. I live in Middle Tennessee. Just this morning before going to work, wife and I walk out on the deck to sit down a few min at apx 7:30am. Wow....yeah.... 76 deg...cool...right? The humidity was right at 90%!!!! No way I could sleep comfortably in that...been there and done that. I know...again critics will jump on this and say "What if...." well what if NOT?

Sorry for the mini soapbox but again brother Borrego just brought to mind some things again boosting the reason for A/C.... that is if you're having ANY thoughts about "maybe I should".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
My early years were in SW Michigan like you in Ohio. As a little kid we didn't know the humidity was anything but normal. As an adult we know it can be a problem for comfort. From where you're saying you plan to camp and live in NC I can't see why you're even questioning not having AC. To me that's like saying I don't need to carry a spare tire as I may never need it. Never needed a spare in over 50 years, but I had one. The AC on any of the RVs I've had never got used much but I was certainly glad it was there when I did need it. During any long power outage it was sure nice to sleep in the TT with the air running off the generator. OK, that's my 2 cents worth .
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #22

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
BBQ....that was probably me you're talking about. I should say at night in my area in Ohio it gets down in the 60's so we don't run the AC and it's very comfortable. But alot of camping spots we stay at don't have shade and when you're talking about 90+ temperatures outside during the day with high humidity you really don't want to hang out in your fiberglass camper.

2 weekends ago we had two fans pointing at us with all windows and roof vent open in 98 degree temps and they just blew hot air that feels like you're in a convection oven and we were still sweating just sitting there, lol. Needless to say I put the AC on and even with the sun beating down on the Scamp I got cold, so it was definitely a trip saver.

I'm actually out camping now and despite it being 92 out we didn't up our AC because we are at the lake with a nice breeze and a fan in the Scamp is actually sufficient. Without the cross breeze and occasional cloud cover I would probably be running the AC, but right now it's just sitting in the trunk of the car. So it really depends if you'll have shade or a breeze, not so much the temperature whether you'll be needing AC or not.
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #23

Name: David
Trailer: Researching
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetang99 View Post
...out camping now and despite it being 92 out we didn't up our AC because we are at the lake with a nice breeze and a fan in the Scamp is actually sufficient. Without the cross breeze and occasional cloud cover I would probably be running the AC...
Thanks Rob and all for the experiences with (and without) AC. The question is already answered for me, my wife says no trailer without AC.

In my mind, I still plan on trips to cooler seasons. But I recognize I'm not a kid anymore, and memories of Ohio (as a kid) would not be the same as an older adult... and heat & humidity.

And I can already see situations of hot (but tolerable) days of hiking and biking - and then appreciate sleeping in a (AC) cooled trailer
BBQdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #24

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
And I can already see situations of hot (but tolerable) days of hiking and biking - and then appreciate sleeping in a (AC) cooled trailer
I think that's the best part of having AC. Especially after you take a shower and are able to sleep in a cool camper without feeling all sticky again from the humidity.
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:42 AM   #25

Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
Hi Courtney,

A question about AC and activities. I live in North Carolina, this past weekend my kids and some nieces and nephews talked me into a camp trip to one of our local State Parks... mistake on my part. Tent camping in 100F is miserable. With plenty of fluids, we managed it, but that brings me to my question - If you need AC, is it too hot to be in that area of camping for activities, like hiking or biking?

I'm looking at a Scamp and figured the vent fan would suffice, since I will probably go to areas with comfortable temperatures to be outside hiking... so wouldn't a vent fan be enough in a fiberglass trailer?

Sorry if this question is silly. As I see a lot of responses with AC as a must. Curious about folks' experiences and outdoor activities and the need for AC.

Thanks

I'm all about activities in the heat, as long as I stay hydrated

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:43 AM   #26

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Remote extender

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney View Post
Darryl, the thermostat works by remote control on the front of the unit. Kind of stupid, since you can't adjust it from the outside. Might rig up something for that. . . .
They make IR wireless remote extenders. Put the transmitter in front of the remote and receiver by the unit. $28 Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products...7WKMHBSYDR69EQ
Here is a wired one for $10 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Aketek-Infrar...6REG7MEVCCX623
USB powered $3 on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-IR-Infrar...0AAOSwjDZYdv5n
Run the wire through the vents and ducts, put the receiver on the vent frame.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote