My Fiber Stream Project - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2008, 06:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Send a message via Yahoo to Tom Bernardino
It just getting better and better. The more i work on the fiber stream (don't have a name yet) the more it grows on me. For those who hasn't seen my other post, here's what i'm going to be working on:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01303.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	16218

The first thing i did when we got it home is to rip out the carpet, believe me it's Nasty . First order of the day is to take care of the rot. Here's what it looks like:

Name:	P1010003.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	16219

Name:	DSC01308.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	16220

The previous owner placed a metal plate on the entrance, probably to reinforce or take care of the rot. It was a pain to take it off. Anyways, my objective this weekend was to replace the wood & seal the vent for the fidge. Got the vent fixed and replace all screws with stainless. Got all the rotten wood out by Saturday night. Called it a night then left a bug bomb inside. Next morning checked out the trailer to see if there are bugs that died, there's just a few. While i was plugging the aluminum with some aluminum tape i notice that the fiberglass on door entry way was cracked. That explains why it was moving down when i step on it. I fixed the crack with some fiberglass and continued fixing the floor.

Tom Bernardino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:11 PM   #2

Finished installing the wood flooring. It was a challenge since this was the first time i've done such a thing but it's all worth it. Here's what it looks like:

Name:	DSC01314.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	16221

The blob of white are foam to fill in some gaps. In the nex few days i will be fiberglassing the seams especially the entry way. In the week end i'm planning to go to home depot to buy some traffic master allure. I've been reading the threads and it looks very nice on those who has done it. The other thing that is on my list to remove the door and re-sealing it. Does anyone know where i can get the plastic trim to cover the screws on the aluminum frame at the door as seen at the pic below?

Name:	DSC01317.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	16223

til then i'll post any updates i have.

Attached Thumbnails
DSC01315.JPG  
Old 10-12-2008, 09:23 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

[quote]Does anyone know where i can get the plastic trim to cover the screws on the aluminum frame at the door as seen at the pic below?

Attachment 16223

Link to "All-Rite" catalog screw cover trim

Looks like Elixer Screw Cover to me.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:24 PM   #4

Trailer: Homesteader Sporty
Tom,

I'm so glad to see that someone has purchased this trailer! We looked at the sale listing, but decided that it was too far away - and, truthfully, probably too much work for us. It certainly has a high 'cool' factor, though. If you don't mind my asking - did you pay the original asking price? Keep up the good work - I'll be really curious to see how it turns out!

Nancy S.
Nancy S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Tom,

I'm so glad to see that someone has purchased this trailer! We looked at the sale listing, but decided that it was too far away - and, truthfully, probably too much work for us. It certainly has a high 'cool' factor, though. If you don't mind my asking - did you pay the original asking price? Keep up the good work - I'll be really curious to see how it turns out!

Nancy S.
Nope, i did not pay the asking price. I will keep on updating my progress.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #6

Just finished installing traffic master allure at the fiberstream. I'll post some pics tomorrow.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #7

here ar the pics of the floor. The only remaining item are the moldings.

Name:	DSC01378.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	16435

It was raining yesterday while i was installing the flooring and noticed water seeping in the wall from one of the cabinets. This morning i investigated an took down the makeshift headliner (i'm going to take it down anyway). Found two cracks, one near the cabinets which explains why it looks like it was repaired outside. and the second one near the aircon kitchen side. There's no leak near the aircon but im worried on that area due to the fact that it carries the weight of the a/c. Here are pics of it.

near the cabinets

Name:	DSC01382.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	16437

I will upload the one near the a/c on the following thread.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01379.JPG  
Old 10-25-2008, 06:20 PM   #8

Here's the pic of the crack near the a/c.

Name:	DSC01380.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	16438

How do i tackle this? Do i need a professional to have this repaired? I also noticed some sagging near the cabinets where it was cracked because of the weight of a winegard antenna. I'm contemplating on taking this out by spring since it's already getting cold. But my problem will be the hole left behind. Any suggestions? Going back to the other issue, do i just take off the a/c unit then patch it myself?

Old 10-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
Fiberglass isn't fun to work with, but it isn't very difficult either. If you follow the instructions that come with the resin, it's a fairly straightforward process. If you don't wish to tackle this yourself, a boat repair shop would have no trouble at all fixing this.

If it were me, I'd start with cloth on the inside, then just resin outside with perhaps a little body filler to help smooth it out once it's dried.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:02 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft and Trillium 4500
Tom -

Your flooring looks great!

As stated earlier, the fiberglass repair isn't difficult - much easier than installing subflooring like you already did.

The real problem is it stinks to high heaven! So make sure you open all the windows and the door when doing it.

I did a similar repair on my last Scamp - I used the fiberglass cloth (not the mat) and put it on in the inside. Then I used body filler (Bondo) on the outside and smoothed it out with a palm sander. This worked perfectly as I was having the trailer repainted anyway, so the color difference didn't matter. The area is now undetectable as a fix, and is frankly stronger than the surrounding walls.

Jake Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #11

hello again!! Nice to be back in this forum. After a long winter i started working on the fiber stream again last week. I will be posting pics soon. few questions:

1. Wiring on the battery. When i got the fiber stream there was no battery and now im on that area also. Just wanted to know which wire goes to what pole. I am assuming that the black wires goes to negative and the red goes to positive. Where does the white wires go?
2. Any suggestions on what material to use for the head liner? I am in the process of putting some insulation in it right now.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 04-10-2009, 07:20 PM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
Tom, nice work

please keep the progress photos coming
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #13

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
Tom, on my Trillium when I wired in the 12V battery, I used the white for ground and the black for the positive. I think the red wiring on my trailer went to a tail light (or turn signal, don't remember which right now).
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Tom;

Here's a link to what I did with the battery. This is the final shot, but the site has the progress to get there as well.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/25692...052473095msBkeC

Here's a simple schematic of my wiring.

Attached Thumbnails
Trailer_Wiring_Sketch.jpg  
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
1. Wiring on the battery. When i got the fiber stream there was no battery and now im on that area also. Just wanted to know which wire goes to what pole. I am assuming that the black wires goes to negative and the red goes to positive. Where does the white wires go?
I would recommend tracing the wires back around to the converter. On my Fiber Stream there is a [b]white wire that goes on the negative battery pole and a [b]red wire that goes on the positive battery pole. [b]These 2 are heavy gauge. I think the [b]black wire might be for the Bargeman Breakaway Switch on the tongue, [b]especially if it is a smaller gauge than the others. If so, it goes on the positive battery pole.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:04 AM   #16

Updates on my fiberstream:

1. Installed a single bar weight distribution hitch and a brake controller on my TV.
2. Installed a lexan over the hole where the old vent was. Im planning on taking out the Air conditioner where i would put a regular 14x14 vent but that is for next week.
3. Took out the wingard sensar antenna and patched the holes with fiberglass (i dont have pics for this but will post next time).
4. Did some repair on the cabinet siding near the door.

I will post my next updates as i go along. Im trying to finish the necessary stuff to make it useable for our camping trip end of may.

Attached Thumbnails
013.JPG   007.JPG  

010.JPG  
Old 05-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #17

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Tom;

Can you share the details on your "single bar weight distribution hitch"?

brand, model, purchase source? I'm looking at doing something similar on my Fiber Stream.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Tom;

Can you share the details on your "single bar weight distribution hitch"?

brand, model, purchase source? I'm looking at doing something similar on my Fiber Stream.

Vic
Vic,

I got it from etrailer. I was hesistant about it initially but after installing it and driving with it around it is sufficient for the size of the trailer. Here's the link:

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-WD1~3205.htm

Tags
fiber stream