My First Belly Band Thread - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2020, 03:48 PM   #61

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Ontario
Metal plates

Hi Dave. I know this is an old thread, but I am working may way through your awesome posts. I started to grind my belly band today. It's an unpleasant job on a miserably hot day. This is likely a naive newby question, but have you ever known anyone to grind down the wavey imperfections and leave the plates in that don't cause bumps- then just glass over that? I am wondering if, over time the plates would cause more issues with rusting? My thought is that they shouldn't because it will be sealed up. I'm still planning on doing it as you suggest, but am curious. Thanks very much!
Nanph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:17 PM   #62

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Where is David? I've noticed he hasn't been around for quite some time. Definitely one of the all time Trillium experts.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:30 PM   #63

Name: roy
Trailer: Casita 16', Sunrader 18'
Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to roy vannoy
I am looking for 1" rubber molding with 3m tape on back side as a cosmetic molding for my bellyband replacement on my Sunrader. I have found 1" flat molding but would be happier with L shape molding since there is a small 1/16" lip where top half of the camper over hangs bottom half. The largest L molding I have found was 3/8" wide, would perfer 1" wide. Anyone ever use a rubber molding like this.
roy vannoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:04 PM   #64

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy vannoy View Post
I am looking for 1" rubber molding with 3m tape on back side as a cosmetic molding for my bellyband replacement on my Sunrader. I have found 1" flat molding but would be happier with L shape molding since there is a small 1/16" lip where top half of the camper over hangs bottom half. The largest L molding I have found was 3/8" wide, would perfer 1" wide. Anyone ever use a rubber molding like this.
Try looking at a Lil Snoozy or the new Snoozy 2 belly band trim piece. If it looks like it could work for you, you could order from them.
Good Luck
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:34 PM   #65

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Head to ebay on body side moldings. There are endless supply of them.

As to the question of going to the trouble of grinding and repairing the belly band area, but leaving the steel plates in place, I just ask why? Once you have done the tough work of grinding the band down, leaving the plates behind is living with fire in my book. Any pinhole penetration, water gets in, plates rot, they expand, and you have a nasty hump on the outside of your trailer. I don't see the benefit of taking the chance, even if it is small. Once you grind the band, the plates are right there. It really won't save that much time.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:33 AM   #66

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Try looking at a Lil Snoozy or the new Snoozy 2 belly band trim piece. If it looks like it could work for you, you could order from them.
Good Luck
Dave & Paula
Thank You Dave, I did look into Snoozy #1. It required a backer strip. I believe it was sold at H/D and lowes. In the patio screen department. I'll look at it again. Thanks
Old 05-28-2020, 11:33 AM   #67

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
Caution: this does not have relevance for land locked readers!!! But I purchased a super decorative rubber moulding for my Boler belly band cover-up from a local marine supply store in Ottawa. Looks great and works really well where the door swings back as a bumper. It fits tight and has gripper teeth. The ends are held in place by stainless pins (SS nails).
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:40 PM   #68

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
Caution: this does not have relevance for land locked readers!!! But I purchased a super decorative rubber moulding for my Boler belly band cover-up from a local marine supply store in Ottawa. Looks great and works really well where the door swings back as a bumper. It fits tight and has gripper teeth. The ends are held in place by stainless pins (SS nails).
Thanks , can you post a picture or link. for a better idea of what you purchased. I live near the water and have access to marine stores.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #69

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
Curse Covid-19. My Boler is out at our daughter’s property at the moment. Somewhere in my garage I should have a piece of the moulding (the key here is “somewhere”) However, I was able to call our marine store and ask. The moulding is a Trim-Lok edge trim that is available in various openings (we suspect that what I have is the .135 to .250 gap) in white with pebble texture.

Here is the link to the Trim-Lok page:

https://www.trimlok.com/plastic-extr...tom/size-range

Photos to follow when next I’m out to the property.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:17 PM   #70

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
Curse Covid-19. My Boler is out at our daughter’s property at the moment. Somewhere in my garage I should have a piece of the moulding (the key here is “somewhere”) However, I was able to call our marine store and ask. The moulding is a Trim-Lok edge trim that is available in various openings (we suspect that what I have is the .135 to .250 gap) in white with pebble texture.

Here is the link to the Trim-Lok page:

https://www.trimlok.com/plastic-extr...tom/size-range

Photos to follow when next I’m out to the property.
I am very familiar with this product and the company. All my interiorwindows are surrounded with this vinyl. Thanks I'll look into it.