My First Mod - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2005, 11:46 AM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
I bought my 1977 Scamp 13' through eBay, and picked it up in Calgary, Canada. On the way home, I dragged tail slightly in a couple of gas station driveways, but really gouged out my own driveway on the first back-in. I barely had to pick up my foot to get in the door, she was so low.
Attached Thumbnails
orig.axle.jpg  
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 12:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
The original axle was a Dexter, designed to be a 20* down angle....which had sank to a 10* up angle. I called Scamp, gave them the VIN number of the trailer, and they were able to give me the the EXACT dimensiions needed for the new axle. Through a local company, I ordered a new Dexter 1000-2200 lb. Torflex axle. In order to get as much clearance as possible, since I do go on graveled roads at times for camping and kayaking, I ordered a 45* down. I also got the brake flanges, since they cannot be added afterward (although I have not added brakes at this time). It also has the newer EZ-lube hubs. I had it installed by a local RV shop, who was very knowledgable. Instead of welding the entire axle on (as they found the old one) they welded on the brackets (which had to be switched side/side - don't ask ME why - but they knew...something to do with the trailing arm...).

Wow! My little trailer is so tall now! My driveway has not more gouges. I don't really need a step most of the time, but have had to begin carrying one for my pooch, as she is older and had knee surgery this past year.
Attached Thumbnails
new.axle.jpg  
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote