My latest mod... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2014, 12:43 AM   #1

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
My latest mod...

It's a trailer with a boat on it. Not a mod exactly but it is something I will attach to my pickup camper, and part of my grand plan to explore Canada.

I found this 14 minutes from my house. A 20'center console fishing boat with a blown motor. I spent all day cleaning it and wet sanding the hull with 600 grit. It cleaned up real nice.

The motor needs one cylinder honed and new rings, but that would not stop it from running. It looks like a plastic part blew off the stator on the flywheel
and cut a wire. I am hopeful I can get it started and running. It has a few other issues I can fix, the trailer needs lots--new bearings, lights, and tires. The boat needs wiring work, a working motor and minor tidbits. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1397457614.566763.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	69841
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Is that a sail boat behind it?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:47 PM   #3

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Is that a sail boat behind it?

Yes an Etchells I restored. It is in perfect condition and for sale at the moment. A wonderful sailing racing boat, that has been modified into a gentleman's day sailor.

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/4420780846
Old 04-16-2014, 11:39 PM   #4

Connecticut
Well, after inspecting the bearings and races of my boat trailer I discovered they needed replacement, as did the hub, which actually just needed resurfacing. One spring was unwrapping itself from the mounting bolt and both springs were losing their arch. It turned out to be cheaper to buy a new hub, so I ordered that and some new springs also. With a single axle I did now want to take a chance. The prior owner left it parked most of the time and the springs settled. The bearing were loose and worn on one side and pitted on the other from lack of movement.

I debated putting on trailer brakes, but I hate surge brakes, and drum brakes, and there is no such thing as electric disk brakes unless you go electric over hydraulic which is way too pricey for me.

I will be picking up my new tires tomorrow too. I got load range D. I hated the extra expense but have had trailer problems in the past and believe in going big on overkill for safety.

I started installing submersible lights and a new trailer plate mounting bracket. Tomorrow I'll pull the wire and test it. I should be able to take it in for inspection soon.

My big obstacle, is this trailer was never registered. So I may have some issues with the State DMV office as they don't seem to understand that some boats are stored on trailers, but never leave the boatyard. It is much cheaper to store a boat on a trailer as they can fit it in between two other boats very easily.