My Scamp 13 build - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2020, 03:19 PM   #1

Name: Pavlo
Trailer: Scamp
California
My Scamp 13 build

Hey guys.

Just want to share my Scamp building experience. This is 2005 13ft Scamp that I've got over a year ago. Initially I was going to use it as-is, but after few seemingly minor mods and fixes here and there, this thing slowly became an always-improving project.

Here's what I've done so far

Exterior

1) Replaced all lights with LED.
Side marker lights were super easy direct replacement.
Tail lights were a bit more work. I wanted to replace those generic Bargman lights with round LEDs, so it took some careful, measuring, drilling few new holes and patching some existing holes. Overall it turned out nice and I like the new look. LED lights are 7" with halo rings:

2) Replaced the crumbling foam door seal with the new rubber seal.

3) Replaced door stop and gravel shield hardware. The old hardware was functional, but rusty, replaced it with a stainless steel

4) Added ShadyBoy awning. Absolutely like this thing! Super lightweight, solid and easy to install. After some training, the whole setup/takedown takes less than a 5 minutes.

5) Added solar panel to the roof. Did some research about panel/mounts options, ended up with Renogy 50w panel mounted on a no-drill brackets:

Brackets are glued to the roof with Sikaflex-252 adhesive, so far they hold up fine and feel rock solid. Wires go into the trailer through the cable entry gland on the roof:

Interior

1) Replaced all cabinet doors with custom made ones. Just a 3/8 baltic birch plywood with routed edges and flat yellow paint. Also replaced all hinges and knobs with the white ones and painted the heater grill white.
(as a bonus - new plywood doors are a little lighter than original mdf, so I saved a few pounds)

2) Refinished the table. Previous owner had some flooring vinyl planks glued across the tabletop. I wasn't happy with it (too dark and too heavy), rip them away, cleaned the surface and then glued a piece of Formica:

3) New curtains. My wife made those. Really like the green/forest theme, adds some nice touch:

4) Got rid of both manual pump and separate faucet. Installed Shureflo faucet with integrated switch. New faucet works with both internal pump and external water hookup. Also replaced all plumping with the new hoses.

5) Installed a water pump. Initially I wanted to install a Shurflo 4008 (which seems to be a gold standard among RVs), but then decided to go with something smaller. Got this small circulating pump from Amazon and it works great: pumps enough water to comfortably wash dishes, yet draws less than one amp and it is almost completely silent.

6) Fixed some wiring issues, added fuse box and two 12v sockets under the seats. One is the regular socket, another one has 2 USB ports, good for charging phones/tablets.

7) Added 12v fan. Just a basic car fan, nothing fancy, but it really helps on hot day.

8) Replaced old analogue thermostat with the new digital one

9) Replaced all bulbs with LED + added LED strip over the countertop

9) Installed Renogy Adventurer solar controller. It is kinda overkill for my 50w panel, but this is the only model that allows flush mount, so I decided to spend an extra few bucks just for the sake of clean look:

Panel wiring comes from the gland port on the roof, then goes through the top front cabinet, then inside the vertical upholstery seam all the way down to the controller.

Things that I didn't add yet:

1) Additional solar port. The idea is to have an option to hook up external 50w panel to the existing Renogy controller. Could be useful if trailer is parked in the shade. Still on my todo list.

2) Inverter. Initially I wanted to install one, but after few camping trips I just don't see what would I use it for. All my electronic stuff works just fine from 12v, so most likely I'll skip the whole inverter idea.

3) Trailer brakes. Already have them sitting in my garage, just need a time to install. Our Subaru Outback has no problems pulling this Scamp over the mountains as is, but my Jeep Wrangler with oversized tires would definitely benefit from adding some braking power.
CA_hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:59 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Looking great! The yellow cabinet doors and curtains sure cheer the place up!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:13 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Did you get to go camping?
Old 01-07-2020, 09:39 PM   #4

California
Quote:
Did you get to go camping?
I sure did!

Old 01-08-2020, 10:55 AM   #5

Name: Russ
Trailer: '95 Scamp 13 Standard
NM
Registry
Looks great! I'll need to apply some of your mods to the '95 Scamp we just bought. Thanks for sharing.
pastor-russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:22 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
What axle do you have under it? Did you change it or was that done by a previous owner?
Old 01-08-2020, 12:08 PM   #7

Name: Vicki
Trailer: 2019 Scamp 13' with 2015 Nissan Frontier V6
Alabama
Those no-drill brackets have caught my eye! I did not know about them. Thanks for the great post. I got some good info and good ideas!
Vicki Hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:21 PM   #8

Name: Gib
Trailer: Scamp Shopper
Minnesota
Nice job!

Really nice. That's a lot of hard work, dedication and ingenuity.
agibsonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:15 PM   #9

California
Quote:
What axle do you have under it? Did you change it or was that done by a previous owner?
I didn't change the axle, I assume it is either stock or has been modified by previous owner.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:47 PM   #10

Name: Carter
Trailer: Eco
Kansas
Your build is reminding me of all the things I did but didn't bother to document. I should do that.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:52 PM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_hiker View Post
I didn't change the axle, I assume it is either stock or has been modified by previous owner.
Definitely not stock. The curb side wheel arch on a stock suspension typically crosses at the top of the white rim. On yours the whole tire is visible. Don’t know how much it’s raised on the rear stabilizers, but you appear to have 5-6” of lift. Nice!
Old 01-08-2020, 03:38 PM   #12

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I sure like the way you have your solar panel mounted.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:24 PM   #13

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 13. boler 13.
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
I sure like the way you have your solar panel mounted.
I mounted my two flexible, 100w solar Panels with Gorilla two sided tape. Two years no problems so far!
Martin.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:44 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Serious case of mod fever. When you're all done you have to buy another beater and resurrect it......... the process never ends.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:00 AM   #15

California
Quote:
Definitely not stock. The curb side wheel arch on a stock suspension typically crosses at the top of the white rim. On yours the whole tire is visible. Don’t know how much it’s raised on the rear stabilizers, but you appear to have 5-6” of lift. Nice!
Thanks, thats good to know! I actually ended up replacing rear jacks with the longer ones because I needed a wooden blocks to level the trailer most of the times.

Quote:
I mounted my two flexible, 100w solar Panels with Gorilla two sided tape. Two years no problems so far!
How do you like them? Are there any heat issues? I was thinking about flexible panels, but heating the trailer interior was my biggest concern

Quote:
Serious case of mod fever. When you're all done you have to buy another beater and resurrect it......... the process never ends.
Lol, yeah
Funny, cause it all started with the mindset "I don't want a project this time, I just want a nice functional camper".
Now my dream is to find a nice unmolested Boler and start from there. I truly believe Boler is the pinnacle of small fiberglass trailer design.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:58 AM   #16

Name: Adam
New Hampshire
If you have a link to the light bulbs you used for the interior Scamp lights I'd appreciate it. I want to swap our lights out to LED.

Very nice mods and improvements!
AdamNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:24 PM   #17

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNH View Post
If you have a link to the light bulbs you used for the interior Scamp lights I'd appreciate it. I want to swap our lights out to LED.

Very nice mods and improvements!
Thanks!

I used these bulbs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075DBN3BX

I used "warm white" for the interior and "natural white" for the porch light
Old 01-11-2020, 09:38 AM   #18

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_hiker View Post

Brackets are glued to the roof with Sikaflex-252 adhesive, so far they hold up fine and feel rock solid. Wires go into the trailer through the cable entry gland on the roof:

Where did you purchase the brackets for your solar panel. Do they have a brand name?

Thanks,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:56 PM   #19

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Where did you purchase the brackets for your solar panel. Do they have a brand name?

Thanks,

Perry
Got them from Amazon: ECO-WORTHY 4X Solar Panel Mounting Bracket
Old 01-14-2020, 03:10 PM   #20

California
One more upgrade: got rid of standard 30 Amp pull-out power cable and replaced the mouse hole cable port with sealed 15 amp power inlet:

Tags
scamp