My Scamp Bunk/Dinette Mod - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2010, 11:44 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Thanks Darnelle, I would love to see some pictures.

Julie
Julie T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:46 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Frederick, thanks for the link. I really enjoyed reading that thread. It's been a few years now...I wonder how Myron has liked his new set up.

Julie
Julie T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:07 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Thanks Ken.

The fiberglass was amazingly hard to cut. I should have used a Rotozip and almost bought one for the job. Instead I used elbow grease and punished a few reciprocal saw blades. I taped the lines before cutting which prevented splintering but still had a little blade wandering. I tried a laminate type blade on a skill saw but the dust was prohibitive, even with a mask. (and without a twin strap respirator). One of the cut lines is from the previous door side which is probably straighter than mine.

The fiberglass was thick and thin and honestly up to 1/4" thick in some places and then reinforced by hardwood 1x2, also wrapped in glass. the 2x2 panel that came out is really heavy.

Part of the fun for me, of doing a camper mod, is saving money. Come to think of it saving money anytime is fun
I cut out a cabinet door with a Rotozip and burned through 3 blades.....the expensive ones. So, you did just fine with what you had. Fiberglass is rough to cut.
PVFunches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:07 AM   #24

Trailer: 1980 16 ft Scamp (Restored)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael D View Post
This is my 99 Scamp 16 bunk mod. We cut up the bunk to make a front dinette that can also be a spare bunk when needed. We were motivated by pure laziness, not wanting to remake the bed to a table each day.

The footwell size was limited by the Scamp floor design. On either side of the well the floor is raised and steel framed 10" high. Leg room is small but works ok as long as the table support is against the back side of the well. We had to cut the table side and place it off center a bit because the FTOC closet is restrictive.

We are living in temporary quarters so instead of removing the whole bench and building new, we used the few hand tools we have with us to cut up and modify the existing.

Thanks to everyone for all your postings which were mucho helpful.

It works well and best of all cost under $50.
Hi Michael:
I'm interested in your modification (for the same reasons you had!). I have a 1980 refurbished 16'er. I have some questions I hope you won't mind answering.
Was there a reason you didn't make the leg well deeper?
How wide is the leg well?
Is the table permanently mounted? If not, how do you lower it for bed?

I included a photo of our front and rear area. We removed the bunk bed configuration, just use it as a couch. The (front) working area seem to be the same size as yours.
Thanks for your feedback (and your great idea)!
Lawrence
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0957.jpg   DSCN0958.jpg  

Lawrence W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #25

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
When cutting the fiberglass the Roto type saw does a great effortless job. Does create some dust tho. You will find it not necessary to tape the cut as the saw dosen't splinter the edges.

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #26

Name: Anne
Trailer: '74 Boler
Alberta
I've been thinking of doing this with my new Boler as one of the projects. I was wondering how easy it would be to cut the fibreglass, and this has answered my questions! One more thing to add to the list.

Thanks for sharing!
aumpleby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #27

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
Good idea and nice job on the work.
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #28

Name: Gary
Trailer: 89 13' Scamp
California
Bunk dinette

Curious as to what material was used to cover the footwell. Looks like fiberglass panels? Where can I get some please. I want to do this mod to my 13' Scamp.
Thanks, Gary
GaryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:36 PM   #29
RLP

Name: Rick
Trailer: 72 Boler
British Columbia
Like this Mod and want to do it in my 13 ft Boler. How wide did you make the space for your legs? Also what is the length and width of the table? Thanks.
RLP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp