My Scamp Bunk/Dinette Mod - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2010, 06:47 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
This is my 99 Scamp 16 bunk mod. We cut up the bunk to make a front dinette that can also be a spare bunk when needed. We were motivated by pure laziness, not wanting to remake the bed to a table each day.

The footwell size was limited by the Scamp floor design. On either side of the well the floor is raised and steel framed 10" high. Leg room is small but works ok as long as the table support is against the back side of the well. We had to cut the table side and place it off center a bit because the FTOC closet is restrictive.

We are living in temporary quarters so instead of removing the whole bench and building new, we used the few hand tools we have with us to cut up and modify the existing.

Thanks to everyone for all your postings which were mucho helpful.

It works well and best of all cost under $50.
Attached Thumbnails
Bunk_before_600.jpg   Cut_Opening_2_600.jpg  

New_inner_sides_braced_600.jpg   Camper_Mod_006_600.jpg  

Camper_Mod_008_600.jpg   Camper_Mod_009_600.jpg  

Camper_Mod_012_600.jpg  
Michael D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:01 PM   #2

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Very nice work, looks real Good ! You should really enjoy it like that.

Happy Camping....when it gets warm enough, that is.

Lynn
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good job! Isn't it nice to be able to make a trailer uniquely your own.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #4

Looks great! what is the white material used to box in the footwell sides? Is it wood painted white? I could not tell from the photos. Thanks for posting those photos.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Looks great! what is the white material used to box in the footwell sides? Is it wood painted white? I could not tell from the photos. Thanks for posting those photos.
Hi Ken,

Yes, it is painted A/C plywood. I trimmed the edges with plastic paneling corner guard from Home Depot which pretty much matches other Scamp molding
Old 02-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #6

it matches so well i could not tell if it was the fiberglass panel you cut out of the bench seat or some other material. Wonderful job. Was it very difficult to cut the fiberglass without it splintering all over the place? The cut looks so smooth i was guessing in my mind a Rotozip was used. Hey you saved yourself 3 grand actually. The only other way to get this scamp floor plan is to pay extra for the custom deluxe model.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #7

Quote:
it matches so well i could not tell if it was the fiberglass panel you cut out of the bench seat or some other material. Wonderful job. Was it very difficult to cut the fiberglass without it splintering all over the place? The cut looks so smooth i was guessing in my mind a Rotozip was used. Hey you saved yourself 3 grand actually. The only other way to get this scamp floor plan is to pay extra for the custom deluxe model.
Thanks Ken.

The fiberglass was amazingly hard to cut. I should have used a Rotozip and almost bought one for the job. Instead I used elbow grease and punished a few reciprocal saw blades. I taped the lines before cutting which prevented splintering but still had a little blade wandering. I tried a laminate type blade on a skill saw but the dust was prohibitive, even with a mask. (and without a twin strap respirator). One of the cut lines is from the previous door side which is probably straighter than mine.

The fiberglass was thick and thin and honestly up to 1/4" thick in some places and then reinforced by hardwood 1x2, also wrapped in glass. the 2x2 panel that came out is really heavy.

Part of the fun for me, of doing a camper mod, is saving money. Come to think of it saving money anytime is fun
Old 02-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I like it, looks great!

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:23 PM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
Quote:
I like it, looks great!
x2
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:42 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
The timing of this is perfect - I've been wanting to do the exact same conversion and ahve been thinking about the best way to go about it. Great pics!
Diane D

Diane D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:13 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Hi,

Nice job.

We have a 2008 Scamp 16.
Has anyone modified the main bed to enlarge it?
We have floor plan 4.

I'm guessing this has been discussed before. If so,
PLease help a newbie find where to look up this discussion.

thanks
Andy B.
Andy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:07 AM   #12

I don't remember who, but someone here enlarged the bed and moved the side dinette forward. Anyone else remember that thread?
Old 03-10-2010, 12:03 AM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to Richie Rod
Michael,
Looks great! I guess the trick now is keeping the dog off the bed on the other end.

Rich
Richie Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:47 AM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
I don't remember who, but someone here enlarged the bed and moved the side dinette forward. Anyone else remember that thread?

Click image for larger version

Name:	493__500x375_.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	26709

I don't know about enlarging into the open area, but we added this piece to fill out the bed next to the table edge. It's simply some 3/4" plywood cut-to-fit and held together with some piano hinge. I made a pattern with some cardboard and cut the parts with a jigsaw and then painted it to match the seats. When not in use it could be tossed into the back of the truck or stored under the trailer.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
We have a 2008 Scamp 16.
Has anyone modified the main bed to enlarge it?
[b]We have floor plan 4.
Click image for larger version

Name:	floorplans16_1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	26714

I do not remember anyone specifically modifying a 16' plan 4. The problem is cutting the fiberglass cabinetry.
However, several have modified 13' trailers by building a platform that fills in the floor space between the kitchen cabinets so they could rotate 90<sup>o</sup> and sleep with their feet in the aisle over this platform. They avoided cutting the cabinet that way.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:45 AM   #16

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I can't call a particular thread at the moment, but I have seen a few people modify the back of a 13' Boler/clone (in which that area is essentially the same as your Layout 4).

What was done was to shrink the kitchen and closet by about 6" so that the bed would be ~54" wide instead of ~48" wide. You'd want to recreate the structural support that is now provided by the back end of the kitchen and closet, but moving that forward 6" would not be a problem, in my opinion.

The Scamp Deluxes (wood cabinetry) often have this layout (shorter kitchen, narrower closet, and wider bed).

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #17

It's being talked about on yahoo scampers, that must have been where I read about the mod. They said it was a lot of trouble to get the extra 6 or 7 inches of sleeping shoulder space. I can imagine so.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:28 AM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Attachment 26714

However, several have modified 13' trailers by building a platform that fills in the floor space between the kitchen cabinets so they could rotate 90<sup>o</sup> and sleep with their feet in the aisle over this platform. They avoided cutting the cabinet that way.

I would be interested learning more about this platform over the floor and sleeping with our feet in the aisle.

Does anyone have a photo or a link to where it's been discussed here.

Thanks,
Julie
Julie T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:49 AM   #19

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Hi Julie,

We put a removable platform in the aisle of our 13' so we could sleep with our heads under the window. Did a quick and ugly modification of it to transfer it to our 16'. I can take some photos if you'd like, but because it will not fit the 16' like it did the 13', it's doesn't self-store any more. I will be making an new version.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #20

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I would be interested learning more about this platform over the floor and sleeping with our feet in the aisle.

Does anyone have a photo or a link to where it's been discussed here.

Thanks,
Julie
Myron Leski's Burro Modification

Tags
scamp