My scamp mods: cabinet and rear shelves, gravity water, tires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Pennsylvania
Registry
My scamp mods: cabinet and rear shelves, gravity water, tires

I finally have it ready for camping!

Rear shelf:
The idea was to have a storage area for the bedding so it had to be open that everything can air out. I found a bench from ikea which fitted nicely. We use a mattress cover in a duvet-cover underneath and just role it up with the blanket and put it on the shelf.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3144828436.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	60050

Cabinet shelves:
I was surprised how unfinished the scamp was here. I used 1/4 inch plywood which seems just thick enough. Made deviders, too to prevent things from shifting around. The brackets are glued in with bondo.

Name:	image-1121925606.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	60051

Name:	image-3733373268.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	60052

Name:	image-25167236.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	60053

Gravity water system:
Did not like the huge tank since it takes to much space and is to heavy and complicated. I use a 7 gal container for waste water and 2 2 gal barrels for fresh water. Both are from reliance. Still have to make better bracket above the sink.

Name:	image-1084989513.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	60054

Name:	image-1787597183.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	60055

Tires:
New tires!

Name:	image-4165386665.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	60056

Name:	image-3374130632.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	60057
chse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #2

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Very nice job Chris. Especially like the idea of the Ikea bench-shelf. I've been looking for an easy solution and that might just be the ticket. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Happy camping.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:27 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Looking good Chris! When's the first trip? Maybe a cradle made of 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood, not a lot of room behind the sink and I'm not familiar with the round Reliance jugs, would supports only a few inches apart bow the side of the jug? We use the square ones at home for spring water, and plan to bring them with us as well.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #4

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Chris
Love the shelve from "Ikea". Think I will put that on my list to do. Do you have a part number on that? I try to find what I want on thier web site and I will have to say it blows. Ikea is a great store but they are about 2 hours away from me. I would like to put the shelves on my list to pick up when I get back there. Thanks Chris
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #5

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Chris, love the rear shelf!!! Can you show us with pic how you attached it? Same with the cabinet shelves. You said you used Bondo?
Looks great and solves a lot of problems well. Good Job!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #6

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Chris, love the rear shelf!!! Can you show us with pic how you attached it? Same with the cabinet shelves. You said you used Bondo?
Looks great and solves a lot of problems well. Good Job!
The shelf is actually a bench called molger (# 402.414.51) MOLGER Bench - dark brown - IKEA. As you can see the upper and lower part fit together and nearly span the width of the scamp. In the back I used the holes from the curtain rod holders to attach it and have an additional small wood bar sitting on top of the window frame in the middle. I screwed the 2 bench parts on a wood slat and than made rounded adapters to get it fitting to the shape of the roof at the holes (a band sander would be helpful here since I had to grind off quite a bit) and finally used screws to attach it. For the front I had to drill 2 new holes above the side windows, I glued a thin piece of ply wood on the fiberglass under the reflectix and fur for stabilization and attached a bracket to it with rivets. Will see if I can get pictures but all is covered by the shelf now.

I used Mini wax epoxy wood filler or Bondo body filler (also epoxy) to attach the wooden brackets that hold the shelves to the fiberglass. Both held up well during our first trip - time will tell.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #7

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPete View Post
Looking good Chris! When's the first trip? Maybe a cradle made of 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood, not a lot of room behind the sink and I'm not familiar with the round Reliance jugs, would supports only a few inches apart bow the side of the jug? We use the square ones at home for spring water, and plan to bring them with us as well.
Thanks! It took me a while to find something that fits behind the sink and still has a good size. I plan to make a frame that runs close to the wall and across the rear part of the sink to hold the jug. There is still enough room to get the hands under the spigot, the jug is quite sturdy so I don't think it will flex.

We went on our first trip last weekend to Assateague Island state park in Maryland, a great place (with wild ponies!). We enjoyed it very much, especially our 18-month-old daughter. She was sleeping in a pack-and-play that we squeezed on the front bench.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #8

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chse View Post
For the front I had to drill 2 new holes above the side windows
Forgot to add: when drilling the holes from the inside I covered the outside with green scotch painters masking tape to prevent fraying of the fiberglass gel coat. This is NOT a good idea, the glue on the green tape eats into the ZEP floor finish leaving some bumps on my shiny new surface.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #9

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
I like the breath ability of the rear shelf. I made mine entirely enclosed, In case we ever use the dinette as a full time bed it can hold "anything". As a result of it being enclosed we won't be keeping our bedding in it while the Scamp is parked at our house.
The painters tape can do the same to some lacquer finishes as well. When I drill from inside to outside I use a 1/16" drill pilot hold from the interior so that it lines up just where I need it, then I go outside and use a larger bit (usually 5/16") just through the fiberglass to make it large enough for bolts/screws. The result is a nice clean hole from the exterior.
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #10

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan P R View Post
I like the breath ability of the rear shelf.
I realized on our first trip that we will only put the table up when there is rain otherwise we spend most of our time outside. My wife immediately re-purposed the shelf to store all kinds of things, the diaper bag and changing pad, change of cloth for the evening, blankets for the kid etc. Its very easy to reach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan P R View Post
When I drill from inside to outside I use a 1/16" drill pilot hold from the interior so that it lines up just where I need it, then I go outside and use a larger bit (usually 5/16") just through the fiberglass to make it large enough for bolts/screws. The result is a nice clean hole from the exterior.
Thats a much more elegant solution, hope I will not have to put more holes in my scamp, though.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think it's totally cool when all molded towable owners find/use/mod something that works well for them. ALL of us gain knowledge and can apply the info to our needs.

Cool beans! Thanks very much for posting the pictures
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote