my small project - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Not really a modification or update.. but I did make a stove top cover and a sink cover.
I didnt find one store that had some kind of edging for the sink cover, so I gave up. I put little rubber legs on both of my homemade items..
Then I have added my little EGG kitchen Utensils only for decoration...

Click image for larger version

Name:	stove_cover.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	14892

Name:	sink_cover_1.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	14889

Name:	egg_utinsils_1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	14890

Name:	egg_utinsiles_2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	14891
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
EGGselent work Christi ...some progress is better than none at all!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I didnt find one store that had some kind of edging for the sink cover, so I gave up.
Nice work Christi.
Depending on how thick the wood is for your sink cover, chromed vinyl edge trim for car doors etc. might work.

For the stove top, try the kitchen counter areas of you local hardware or even a cabinet maker, you should be able to find some arborite or formica that might match either your cover or your counter or a colour that will work.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Nice work Christi. I got the inspiration for our stove cover from the $50 ones at CW. We still had the cutting board we used in our truck camper in the 1970's. It fit the grate on the Atwood stove perfectly and is held on by cleats (one is visible in the photo). Serendipity!
Attached Thumbnails
board.jpg  
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:11 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Have you looked for 'edge banding' at your local Home Depot or Lowes store?

It might do the trick for finishing the edges of your covers. The stuff comes in various real wood varieties and plastic types. The wood ones are intended for finishing plywood edges and come in various widths for that purpose. The plastic ones come in colors to match laminate counter tops and usually is available in wider widths. If you can't find it in HD or lowes, your local cabinet maker should have some or if you can't find it locally you could try Rockler http://www.rockler.com/search_results.cfm?...&submit.y=9.

I used the real wood type to trim my new plywood dining table top. It comes pre-glued and you just iron it on and then trim off the excess. An ordinary household iron works fine for gluing it on and various tools like sanders, x-acto knives, utility knives, flat rasps, etc will work for trimming the excess. Probably the fastest way to trim it is with a router bit designed for the purpose. Some wood trim bandings are just veneer and are not preglued but you can buy double stick tape that is designed to glue it on or you can just wood glue and clamp it.

There are also some tapes that might work.

Also I have used a plastic "T" moulding to finish edges. The T molding requires a groove cut into the edge (usually done with a router or table saw) to accept the center leg of the T. It provides a very rugged 'bumper' like edge when glued in place. It comes in white and brown at least.

Other Home Depot alternatives might include plastic moldings used to trim bathroom laminate panels or just cut thin strips of wood and 'frame' the edge.
Capt Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:40 AM   #6

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Quote:
chromed vinyl edge trim for car doors etc. might work.

I went to every auto store, Home Depot, Wamart, harware store.. and they didnt have a thing in this town. The car trim was way to narrow and not wide enough to fit the 1/4 plywood..... I did find some kind of trim but it didnt work either... so I gave up after a couple of hrs running around wasting gas and getting very disappointed.
If I find something later I can always add it on...
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:05 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984
I too found that I couldn't replace the 50's style metal trim edging on the island counter at the cottage. I was able to find some in good shape at a renovator that sold old doors, windows, antique fixtures and other hardware. With an automotive metal polish it cleaned up real well.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:37 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's a discussion on the aluminum trim and some resources:
Aluminum trim for table, Making front dinette
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:45 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I am not sure I am seeing the Cleats correctly. Would love to see a close up photo showing of them.
I have a board but it is not staying in place while traveling well.

Carol

Quote:
Nice work Christi. I got the inspiration for our stove cover from the $50 ones at CW. We still had the cutting board we used in our truck camper in the 1970's. It fit the grate on the Atwood stove perfectly and is held on by cleats (one is visible in the photo). Serendipity!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote