My virgin scamp got a stripe! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Pennsylvania
Registry
My virgin scamp got a stripe!

I am not a big fan of scamps huge labeling on the side with the stripes ending nowhere specific and was happy that the one I found had no stickers at all. Still I thought it looked a bit blunt and ordered a red stripe and the small old name tags from scamp. Here is what it look like-

I also treated the surface with oxidation remover and washed it with TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) and dawn to remove oils. Hope its ready now for the wet-look floor finish, did someone ever try that without the barkeepers friend scrubbing?

before with old rivets:
chse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #2

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1984 16' Scamp
Missouri
Looks real nice! Whered you get the strip and how many feet did you need to go all the way around?
ryanlikestacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #3

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
chris---i like it! you chose well. it is striking how much of a difference a simple stripe can make.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Perfect for you! Love it when a plan comes together Thanks for sharing the pictures, visuals always help.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #5

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Stripe and name tag looks great. Nice Job. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
Registry
Thanks - I am really happy with it. After a day of scrubbing that was a nice finish.

Ryan- the stripe and decals are from Scamp Trailers Parts. I ordered 36 feet ($25.20) and had about 3 feet left.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chse View Post
I also treated the surface with oxidation remover and washed it with TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) and dawn to remove oils. Hope its ready now for the wet-look floor finish, did someone ever try that without the barkeepers friend scrubbing?
Chris, whether or not you choose to use Bar Keepers Friend has to due more with a chalky finish. If you think the trailer is spectacularly clean, then I'd say... it isn't needed. But if you see chalk anywhere, then use it. A couple more hours of scrubbing may be worth it. Remember, anything left on the trailer is going to be "sealed" into the finish when you put Red Max Pro (ZEP) on it. You don't want crud showing through.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #8

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Chris, whether or not you choose to use Bar Keepers Friend has to due more with a chalky finish. If you think the trailer is spectacularly clean, then I'd say... it isn't needed. But if you see chalk anywhere, then use it. A couple more hours of scrubbing may be worth it. Remember, anything left on the trailer is going to be "sealed" into the finish when you put Red Max Pro (ZEP) on it. You don't want crud showing through.
Thanks for the advice. It looks pretty clean and smooth, I first thought polishing with a marine polish will do it but that resulted in rain stripes and there were some discolorations. I washed the polish off and polished it again with oxidation remover, now its nice and white, I did 2 more washes with TSP and dawn, my biggest concern is that there is still some wax left. I'll see to tomorrow hope its not to windy.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #9

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Looks real classy with just a small name on it. I noticed you don't have any fridge vents, do you have a fridge or just an icebox?
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #10

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Looks real classy with just a small name on it. I noticed you don't have any fridge vents, do you have a fridge or just an icebox?
It only has an ice box. We mostly want to use it on weekends and for that the ice box works well, thats how we camped before in a tent. Maybe one day I will put a small fridge and an inverter. Interesting that you mention the vents, the other 2 scamps I looked at had both rotten floors under the fridge since the condensation water could not drain and there was no vent.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:25 AM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
A classic. Nice job. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #12

Name: Norm I want to thank all the Kings horses and all the Kings men
Trailer: 73 Scamp 13'
Oregon
I really like the stripes. I think I may steal your idea since I just painted mine. You are lucky not to have vents on the side. The only place I had rot was under the fridge. Good job!
Ngrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #13

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
I washed my 75 green Trillium with Vim cream bathroom and kitchen cleaner.It has a very small amount of abrasive in it but does a great job on the chalky removal. Washed twice, rinsed 2x and then 5 Coates of Zep wet look floor finish. You don,t see the shine till after the 3rd coat but then the effort is rewarded. Looks great. When applying the Zep,just wet the rag, wring it out and just like damp cloth wipe. It drys in a few mint so time you do fist coat you can start again.
Good luck.
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #14

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngrimm View Post
I really like the stripes. I think I may steal your idea since I just painted mine. You are lucky not to have vents on the side. The only place I had rot was under the fridge. Good job!
Thanks, if you order the stripe from scamp their shipping is a bit expensive I browsed through all their stuff to make sure I do not forget anything.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #15

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRJR View Post
I washed my 75 green Trillium with Vim cream bathroom and kitchen cleaner.It has a very small amount of abrasive in it but does a great job on the chalky removal. Washed twice, rinsed 2x and then 5 Coates of Zep wet look floor finish. You don,t see the shine till after the 3rd coat but then the effort is rewarded. Looks great. When applying the Zep,just wet the rag, wring it out and just like damp cloth wipe. It drys in a few mint so time you do fist coat you can start again.
Good luck.
I am just done with the zep, too. Nice and shiny :-). For some reason the oxidation remover created a slight off-white,eggshell tone. I like it but its maybe not for everyone. I also learned to wash the rag once or twice before using it .... that's in another post.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #16

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
How did you replace the covers on the pop rivets?
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #17

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie B View Post
There is several posts about this f.e. here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...t-54646-2.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...s-50029-3.html

The covers pop off easily with a screw driver, if the shell around the rivet is still intact you can order replacements from Pro-Dec: Manufacturer of Screw Covers, Screw Caps & Snap-Caps®

"The sizes you will need are 8/8-100 for the curtain rod rivets and 12/12-100 for the larger rivets.
The bases are sold seperately 8/8 FB and 12/12-FBA"
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...s-50029-3.html

or at scamp https://shop.scamptrailers.com/c-15-...c-washers.aspx
Old 05-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #18

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie B View Post
Forgot, if the shell around the rivet is gone you will have to to replace the rivet. I think its easiest to get the rivet/acorn nut/snap cap set from scamp.

- You will need a helper who holds the nut from the inside while you drill out the rivet outside with a 1/8 drill (otherwise it might spin).
- Remove the rivet and put the plastic shell on the new one and put it through the hole, put the nut on on the inside and verify that the rivet is short enough so that the nut can not push it outside, but long enough to reach inside the nut.
- most of the times you will have to shorten the rivet, use a vice and hammer out the stem, than saw of the aluminium part to the right size. Re-insert the stem
- wrap some butyl tape around the rivet close to the cap, put it in the hole, have someone hold the nut on inside and install the rivet with the rivet gun.
- do one rivet at a time

This is much less complicated than it sounds, once you have the parts its easy. Do not use silicone since the rivets move around during traveling (and Donna hates it). Get a good rivet gun with 2 long handles (like Dorman 743-100 Rivet Gun).
Old 05-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chse View Post
Do not use silicone since the rivets move around during traveling (and Donna hates it).
that I do

Tags
scamp